Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Protein, Fat and Carbs Should I Be Eating Every Day? page

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member

How Much Protein, Fat and Carbs Should I Be Eating Every Day?

I just ordered the book a few days ago, but have not received it yet.

Is there a place on the website where I can figure out how much protein, fat and carbs I should be eating every day? I am female, 5'3", 54 years old and currently sedentary due to recent surgery. When I am not in recovery mode, I go to the gym 3 times per week and lift weights and do interval training on the treadmill.

Also, if I am not supposed to be counting calories, how can I assure that I am getting the right amount of protein and fat?

Thanks!
    Last edited by RSL; 05-09-2010 at 09:24 AM.

chase is offline Junior Member
    With regards to how much protein your body needs depends most on your weight.

0.5 - 0.7 grams of protein per pound of your weight would be sufficient for your activity level. That is basically all you need to know in my opinion as grams of fat will naturally be high as you have the freedom to use the primal ones as you wish (this is where the no counting come into play) and eat until satisfied.

When you are counting protein, you are in actuality counting calories but without the calculation of converting grams of macronutrient to calories.
    Count your protein to ensure a sufficient level, add fats as you desire to stay satisfied.

This is how I do it and it is working out great!
    Hope I helped

RSL
    Thanks! So, to "go primal" you need to weigh your protein on a digital scale and then convert the weight to grams of protein? Did Grok have a scale?

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Grok didn't worry about macronutrient percentage composition either

chase is offline Junior Member
    lol, no grok did not have a scale... but once you realize how easy it is to just eyeball a piece of meat and know what is in it you wont have to use the scale either. Then you can eventually just know and go off instinct like grok

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    RSL,

If you want, you can track once in awhile at FitDay.com, to kind of get an idea of what your macros are...you can eyeball the portion size on your proteins. Don't forget lots of veggies, if you like them. If you cook in coconut oil, ghee or bacon grease, you'll get your fats, too. It's easier than it looks at first :-)

RSL
    Thanks, everyone! I was at a bookstore today, and guess what I found! I sat down and read the book for about 30 minutes. I can't wait to get my copy in a few days.

mstrudle is offline Member
    As much as you need to feel full is a good marker, generally.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    When you first go primal I think just about eveyone gets hung up on the how much protein to fat to carb ratio. I know I did, as did others.

I agree with Kuno1chi start with fitday.com. Use it so that you get a feel for what foods do what.

Grok didn't have science... that doesn't mean we should ignore it.

RSL
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    When you first go primal I think just about eveyone gets hung up on the how much protein to fat to carb ratio. I know I did, as did others.

I agree with Kuno1chi start with fitday.com. Use it so that you get a feel for what foods do what.
    I already use fitday, and have been on a daily basis for the past year. I eat around 100g of protein per day. I was just wondering what this plan suggests.

Thanks for all the answers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast