Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gluconeogenesis page 5

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I didn't post them for you to watch/read but rather for people with open minds who actually might like to learn something on the subject.
    oh lord you're funny
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Some glucose is good, some fat is good, we all now that. They both can be obtained from real healthy foods, which are good as well. What else is there to say really ?

This thread is about gluconeogenesis.

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    ChocoTaco369,
    and
    Derpamix,

It seems you are both implying that LC is not a good choice - am I understanding your positions? I think my impression must be wrong, otherwise I'm not sure why someone with such beliefs would hang out around here. I must be missing something...?

This is a sincere question to try and make sense of what I'm reading here.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent girl View Post
    ChocoTaco369,
    and
    Derpamix,

It seems you are both implying that LC is not a good choice - am I understanding your positions? I think my impression must be wrong, otherwise I'm not sure why someone with such beliefs would hang out around here. I must be missing something...?

These two have bought hook line and sinker into a single persons hypothesis (Ray Peat). Basically its all based on a philosophy that anything that increases certain hormones like cortisol or glucagon (since its been shown cortisol isn't necessary to induce gluconeogenesis) is inherently stressful and harmful. From there he extrapolates that sugar is necessary at all times, otherwise you may get an increase in glucagon stimulating gluconeogenesis and increased "stress". But we all know that there are many forms of hormesis (good stress), so I've never bought into. Oh, and he would rather you have a tachycardia with a permanently elevated body temp.

Not to mention that the literature tends to show improved markers from fasting, exercise, and in low carb dieting...... all of which Peat frowns upon. Just read some stuff on exercise and fasting if the high fat low carb stuff scares you. These are both stressors that the Peat ideal would have you believe inhibits good health. It would take some monumental effort of cherrypicking to prove such a thing because an overwhelming majority of the literature says that they improve almost every known health marker.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-06-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent girl View Post
    ChocoTaco369,
    and
    Derpamix,

Why not hang around here? Choco eats whole foods that include fruits and tubers. Primal is not necessarily a LC diet. PB has a medical condition that necessitates eating HFLC and others do well on that too. Primal is a whole foods kind of umbrella that can include even people who eat the majority of their carbs from fruit and starches. I eat that way and am very healthy. I don't feel like I don't belong here because I don't eat HFLC. Whole food eating encompasses a wide spectrum.

And just like eating higher carbs and sugar would be disastrous for PB's health, eating HFLC would be equally disastrous for someone else. I feel like crap unless I eat a lot of fruit - LC doesn't suit me at all and neither does the BAS or lots of veggies. This forum isn't just for one strict method or point of view.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Why not hang around here? Choco eats whole foods that include fruits and tubers. Primal is not necessarily a LC diet. PB has a medical condition that necessitates eating HFLC and others do well on that too. Primal is a whole foods kind of umbrella that can include even people who eat the majority of their carbs from fruit and starches. I eat that way and am very healthy. I don't feel like I don't belong here because I don't eat HFLC. Whole food eating encompasses a wide spectrum.

And just like eating higher carbs and sugar would be disastrous for PB's health, eating HFLC would be equally disastrous for someone else. I feel like crap unless I eat a lot of fruit - LC doesn't suit me at all and neither does the BAS or lots of veggies. This forum isn't just for one strict method or point of view.
    This.
    100%.

However...
    The fear mongering against LC that is constantly going on from some of the high carb crown is down right ridiculous.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, my answer was in no way to say they shouldn't be here. Heck I wouldn't care if a bunch of wheat and skittle eating vegans post whatever they like! Thats one thing I love about these forums. No mods!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Different ideas and perspectives are a good thing. That's usually how progress is being made. If there was one and only approach to a healthy lifestyle, the existence of this place would be pointless.

And in case someone is that afraid, there is the ignore feature.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post

Believe it or not, I actually respect Choco's POV. He does eat a healthy diet that works for him and he does keep it Primal, he's just highER carb/lowER fat than my macros. Now if he would just quit telling anyone who doesn't eat at his macros that they have an eating disorder, I would respect his POV even more.

I will never respect someone who has a blatant disregard for their own health yet sets themselves up as the font of all health wisdom though. Derp does drugs, smokes two packs a day, mainlines coffee with lots of sugar, drinks OJ and milk with lots more sugar, drinks sodas, eats candy, eats pizza. The only redeeming features of the Peatarian diet seem to be the occasional piece of liver and some carrot salad.

People are free to eat whatever they want and to blather on about it here as well I suppose. I just hope any newcomers to this forum are able to choose their sources of information well and not get confused.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Haha, wow, you really don't know a thing about me, science, or Peatarian style of eating. I guess gelatin, tons of fresh fruit, chocolate, dairy, shellfish, etc; don't count for a healthy diet, eh? I guarantee my diet is tenfold more nutrient dense than yours, and I can actually eat to my hearts content.

I argue lately only from a scientific stance, something sorely lacking on these forums built around speculation of ancient tribes I don't actually care about giving advice to people deadset in their views that they took from someone else blindly without actually researching anything.

Of course, to you, I don't know anything about science even though you can't actually refute anything said and can only say I don't know anything about science. I guess that means I don't know anything about science? What's glycolysis again?
    Last edited by Derpamix; 06-06-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast