Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gluconeogenesis page 4

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This is typically why we store fat as energy, as it's much more dense, oxidizes slower, and is too complex and burdening to use as a main source of energy.
    I don't really see the connection between the first half of the sentence and the words I highlighted. Isn't it your opinion only ? After millions of years of evolution, if stored fat was so burdening and too complex to oxidize, why bother keeping this mechanism ? I think personally that it is great to have 2 sources of energy: one for slow pace activities and one for rapid bursts / fast action. There is a reason why we have only a limited storage capacity of glycogen ...

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    I don't really see the connection between the first half of the sentence and the words I highlighted. Isn't it your opinion only ? After millions of years of evolution, if stored fat was so burdening and too complex to oxidize, why bother keeping this mechanism ? I think personally that it is great to have 2 sources of energy: one for slow pace activities and one for rapid bursts / fast action. There is a reason why we have only a limited storage capacity of glycogen ...
    I was just inferring based on the fact it will always, in normal context, choose to oxidize glucose above fat. Since it's my inference, I guess you can say it's my opinion
    nihil

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I was just inferring based on the fact it will always, in normal context, choose to oxidize glucose above fat. Since it's my inference, I guess you can say it's my opinion
    Not so ... when your insulin level has returned to baseline, you oxidize free fatty acids released from your fat cells. That's what happens when you sleep and i.e. if you skip breakfast and lunch. Glucose will be used no doubt (stored right away after a meal and converted to glyco), if you actively use your muscles and glycogen is available. But otherwise, when you are not busy digesting and are not engaged in heavy workouts, fat is used. So what is exactly the "normal context" again ?

Paleobird Guest
    What are you talking about? -_- Bananas brown because they oxidize faster as referenced in my equation above. It has nothing to do with VLC. And bread is already oxidized. It was just about the equation and compositions.

Seriously, why are you cherry picking useless abstracts when I'm not even addressing you?
    Snippy, snippy. I was merely pointing out the irrelevance of the browning banana an the counter to anything having to do with health or diet.

Exactly. Metabolic flexibility is a good thing.

It "chooses" to burn the thing that is the most toxic first. This is why alcohol gets burned first, then excess glucose, then fats. This does not indicate a "preference" for glucose, merely that at high glucose levels in the blood you will die. The body is just protecting itself.

Not so ... when your insulin level has returned to baseline, you oxidize free fatty acids released from your fat cells. That's what happens when you sleep and i.e. if you skip breakfast and lunch. Glucose will be used no doubt (stored right away after a meal and converted to glyco), if you actively use your muscles and glycogen is available. But otherwise, when you are not busy digesting and are not engaged in heavy workouts, fat is used. So what is exactly the "normal context" again ?
    Exactly. In a metabolically flexible individual, (aka The Fat Burning Beast) this switching back and forth is a normal daily thing. Derp and Peat can keep trying to paint it as "stressful" but if that were so, humanity would have died out a long time ago.

What is stressful is eating a super high carb diet for so long that your body becomes mal-adapted to burning fat for fuel. This is why sugar bees need to eat every three hours or so and keep sucking on those sweet drinks.

You know, it would help if you actually stated something beyond your opinion, or Lustig's opinion, and backed it up with some actual scientific evidence that explains your "evolutionary" stance. I already formulated a post earlier, that broke it down into biological processes, and you chose to ignore it. Did you not understand it, or did you just not bother to do any research into it? It's all there, in textbooks, backed up by science.

Glucose is not a toxin, it has specific metabolites designed to process it, unlike ethanol(alcohol), which has to be filtered out only by the liver because it has no place else to go. No idea why you make this stupid comparison, it just makes you look ignorant, and I don't believe you are; just incredibly biased, as evident by the fact you can only play cheerleader to people who share your opinion and repeatedly jump into threads only to gang up on someone else and +REP!!11 your friends.

My point on bananas was only pointless to you, because it wasn't addressed to you in the first place, and I was using an example as to the composition of carbohydrates and why they oxidize faster in all context. Read the first posts if you want. It has nothing to do with diet, because I never intended it to. You did that yourself.

Oxidation of sugar promotes metabolism in many ways, like sparing oxygen consumption. It produces more carbon dioxide than oxidizing fat does, because sugar increases krebs cycle activity and inhibits toxic damage to proteins(this is why many people recommend sugar along with protein). The glycation of proteins occurs under stress, when less carbon dioxide is being produced, and the proteins are normally protected by carbon dioxide.

I agree that it's nice to have fat to fall back on, and oxidizing saturated fats isn't inherently harmful, but it's just that, it's a back-up response. You can agree or disagree.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 06-04-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    I really don't think that on a Primal website I should have to "back up" an evolutionary template for health. Read Mark's book if you want citations. And I think citing a pediatric endocrinologist's writings and lectures (Dr. Robert Lustig) someone who deals with obese six month old children with type 2 diabetes is a fine way to back up a stance on sugar. You choose to be dismissive of his work. That doesn't make him wrong.

If you think that an evolutionary rationale for a way of eating is such bunk I will ask you once again. Why are you even still here?
    I think on some (perhaps subconscious) level, you really know it's right. It's either that or you secretly have a crush on me.

I agree that burning glucose for fuel in a metabolically healthy person is not inherently evil. That what I said about switching back and forth being the hallmark of a healthy metabolism. Unfortunately, there are a lot of less than healthy metabolisms out there.

I know you will roll your eyes at this but permit me a WWGD analogy. Grok finds a bee hive and smokes out the bees and stuffs himself and the tribe senseless on honey. Well functioning metabolisms handle this just fine, the extra glucose is cleared from the bloodstream and stored as fat. But the problem comes when we eat every day as if we just found another honey comb and don't even have to do any work to get it other than open the jar. Eventually the system can't handle the constant overload. This leads to metabolic dysfunction.

The problem is Lustig is a loon, who really doesn't seem to get his information from anywhere in particular, he's been debunked million of times before, and just seems to base his "theory" on strawman arguments and guesswork. He defends his knowledge on how many hits his youtube video gets. Also, last I checked, he derives most of calories from carbs anyway, just in the form of starch, and only demonizes fructose and sugar(no idea why, like I said, he's a loon)

I dismiss his work because he's wrong in every way. I would guess that he probably draws inspiration from John Yudkin, who wrote some books(comic strips, really) full of inaccurate epidemiologies, such as the fact it seems as though many of these studies ignore entirely the bigger picture, like how sugar stimulates metabolism, which in turn creates a need for more nutrients in the body, but they're quick to point out that sugar was present. Example: In 1793, a cargo vessel was shipwrecked in the Carribean. The 5 survivors lived on rum and sugar for 9 days. They were found to be in an unusually bad way. They point out sugar, when they were living off rum for 9 days? Too funny. This isn't even the worst of it. Ray Peat addresses most of these, and debunks them himself.

The body can handle hundreds of grams of glucose, as it's used in tons of processes, there is no reason to believe it would ever be overloaded, and your theory assumes that once the body has an abundance of energy, it simply has no idea what to do with it, and shuts down. This isn't the case. I only agree with you in that metabolically healthy people should be able to handle either situation easy enough, I can, despite living life as a sugar bee, I disagree completely when you claim that fat should be the primary source of fuel. This is just wrong in every context, as shown repeatedly. Also, the frequency in which it should be switched.

Even pklopp infers there isn't much difference between fat and carbs in what we're discussing, this is because once fat gets to beta oxidation, it shares similarities with the TCA cycle.

There is too much guesswork involved in socio-anthropology to make it a valid argument to use.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 06-05-2013 at 05:07 AM.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Again, you calling Lustig a loon and Yudkin's work's comic strips doesn't make them wrong. It just makes you dismissive of anything that disagrees with your guru. (Whom I could very well call names but choose not to.)

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

Pure, White and Deadly by John S. Yudkin - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I'm not watching that shit again. I find Oprah more enlightening.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm not watching that shit again. I find Oprah more enlightening.
    I didn't post them for you to watch/read but rather for people with open minds who actually might like to learn something on the subject.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast