Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lol, afraid of sitting. page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Lol, afraid of sitting.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I stand/walk/pace most of my ten hour shift. Is this too much? Which is worse, standing too much or taking an hour here and there to sit? After all the fear propaganda against sitting (how rapidly blood pressure spikes, etc.) it seems very much worth avoiding. Any input?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by Knifegill; 04-17-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I've read that too much daily standing can lead to an odd, offputting affinity for my little ponies.

boomingno is offline Member
    Peer reviewed research indicates that the fetal position is actually the safest position. Thumb sucking also correlated strongly with reduced all-cause mortality.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Lol... sitting correctly and if you could keep it to less than 3 hours out of the day I'd say your pretty stellar. Either that or adopt primal sitting..... i.e. squating, indian style, ect...

Z0oom is offline Member
    I should probably sit much less than I currently do. Thanks for the new goal, now excuse me while I throw out my computer chair!

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    I find the taboo "sitting" argument kind of funny. We (me included) are always quick to point out correlations does not equal causation in many of these bogus research studies. Yet, we are quick to avoid sitting, and all the studies I have seen are exactly that....correlation. I sit all the time.............but I work out on a regular basis and eat over 90 % paleo. I assure you the sitting is not hurting me. I have low body fat, pretty good muscle, good blood pressure, etc. People who eat like crap and don't work out tend to "sit" alot. Is it the sitting thats killing them? Or the crap they eat and the lack of excercise?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^Its not simply correlation. Look at biomechanical studies of load and force on the spine in different postures and you can begin to appreciate why that extended time in a standard western seated position creates problems with joint and disc function and subsequently neurological feedback. This isn't coorelative, its causation. The coorelative studies your talking of is the health effects of this already well supported biomechanical model.

Sitting is shown in multiple trials to reduce disc height and promote spinal degeneration. The correlative model shows how these changes tend to effect the health of a population. We have neurological biomechanical feedback theory to explain these correlations. Sure its correlative data, but in the end I can recognize a better functioning spinal unit is healthier than a dysfunctional one.

Anyhow, mitigating the damage of sitting can be accomplished by changing your sitting posture, sitting less, hyperextension type exercises, and chiropractic spinal manipulation. All these show to increase disc height and hydration.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-19-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I started standing at work - apart from high level meetings - to help back pain and knee pain. Insanely, it works. Sometimes my knees starting to hurt after just 5 min of sitting. Even more insane is that my knees do not hurt when I squat with a barbell. But when I sit they do. The only other problem with one of my knees relates to an old injury.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast