Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Hidden Warrior page 5

Brenda_D is offline Member
    It's encouraging to hear that you've stayed with Paleo for so many years, especially since you are working 'with' PCOS and IBS-D as well. It just helps solidify that I am finally on the right track to health.

It is amazing how damaging gluten can be if you have an allergy. I am not sure if I am gluten intolerant, but considering how many other food intolerances I have, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I am. For many years I've known I needed to go on an elimination diet, but the food options you start with are so dreadful, I just knew I wouldn't be able to stick it out. Paleo is great to use as an elimination diet, and this journaling is so helpful in finding out just what is 'eating Brenda_D'.

I do take probiotics when my IBS is acting up (I know it should be on a regular basis, but it's difficult for me to remember to take them when they're hiding in the fridge and I don't feel a 'need' for them). I've never heard anything regarding acacia powder for IBS, I'll have to check that out!

I'll be stopping by for a visit to your journal, thanks for the invite. I'm glad your tummy is feeling better, gives me hope that my tummy will be all better one day too!

Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    Hi Brenda, looks like you are off to a great start. I love all the pre-planning before taking the plunge. We have a few things in common. I also have PCOS and have struggled with IBS-D for years and years. I've been primal for almost three years now. For me, primal has really helped with blood sugar issues, but my gut healing has taken longer. I recently went through a bunch of testing to get to the root of my issues. I found that I am extremely sensitive to gluten. There are no more occasional pieces of sourdough for me. Because of how torn up my gut is I was not absorbing fat properly. I also had an H Pylori infection. Just finished antibiotic treatment and I'm now rebuilding my gut flora with probiotics and acacia powder for the prebiotic. ( acacia powder is supposed to be very beneficial for IBS) I am feeling better in my tummy like never before! No more diarrhea, sulfur gas, bloating.... It's been amazing. I think I've read that PCOS and IBS are common together. I think for myself it has gone this way: gluten intolerance (but unknown so living on processed food all my life) led to leaky gut which led to hormonal imbalance and IBS symptoms..... I am hoping that as I heal my gut, more healing and balance will follow. I wish you much success in your journey. I have a new journal that I started up today if you are interested.

It's time for Paralysis by Analysis:

First week in a nutshell:
    Day 1: Cal:804/Carb:14/Fat:66/Prot:53/Sod:1432/Sug:14/Wat:1.5 lt -- Energy: 2
    Day 2: Cal:1162/Carb:21/Fat:76/Prot:101/Sod:1899/Sug:21/Wat:2.5 lt -- Energy: 3
    Day 3: Cal:870/Carb:1/Fat:58/Prot:87/Sod:807/Sug:7/Wat:2 lt -- Energy: 5
    Day 4: Cal:536/Carb:2/Fat:37/Prot:47/Sod:373/Sug:0/Wat:3 lt -- Energy: 7
    Day 5: Cal:663/Carb:2/Fat:39/Prot:67/Sod:348/Sug:0/Wat:3 lt -- Energy: 8
    Day 6: Cal:1123/Carb:7/Fat:91/Prot:73/Sod:2145/Sug:3/Wat:2.5 lt -- Energy: 8
    Day 7: Cal:1284/Carb:8/Fat:94/Prot:120/Sod:1439/Sug:4/Wat:guestimate 2.5 lt -- Energy: 6

Weight lost: 5 lbs, Inches Lost: around 12

What does it all mean? Hmmmm....

EDIT: These numbers are not exact and do not take into account the big, juicy strips of fat I ate off of the steaks. So calories and fat in some cases are probably higher than shown.
    Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-04-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Grocery Trip:
    COSTCO:
    Organic Eggs (48 ct): $13.98
    Reg Eggs (24 ct): $3.24
    Summer Sausage: $8.49
    Chicken Whole Fryers: $11.21
    Chicken Tenderloin: $16.56
    Chicken Fryer Thighs: $10.54
    Chicken Sausage (2 packs): $27.98
    Crumbled Feta: $6.89
    Salad Mix: $3.59
    Romaine: $3.29
    Portabella Mushroom Caps: $4.79
    Coconut Oil: $21.99
    TOTAL: $132.55

RUBYS:
    2 lb Asparagus: $5.39
    1 lb Roma Tomatoes: $.81
    4 Avocados: $2.00
    1/2 lb White Peaches: $1.07
    Ginger Root: $.14
    TOTAL: $9.41

CASH & CARRY:
    Lighthouse Dressing 32 oz. (4 ct): $19.92 (non-Paleo 'it helps us get through the week' item)
    Coconut Milk (2 cans): $1.74
    TOTAL: $21.66

PONDEROSA:
    T-Bone (Choice): $20.65
    NY Strip (Choice): $22.14
    Canadian Bacon: $3.50
    Thick Slice Bacon (2 Pkgs): $15.96
    TOTAL: $62.25

Grocery Total this week: $225.87

Nerd Alert: 42 lbs of meat purchased for $137.00 = average cost of $3.26/lb .... not too shabby!

... big trip, lots of meat & eggs that should last 2-3 weeks at least (I think). Coconut oil and Lighthouse Dressing will last a month or two at least. I opted for non-grassfed meat this time, I am hoping added hormones/antibiotics don't actually have an impact on weight loss and health issues. I need to do some research and see if it really is worth the added cost and not-so-great flavor. Mostly concerned about the impact added hormones may have with PCOS.
    Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-04-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added Nert Alert info

Sugarbare88 is offline Member
    D, don't let that get you down, especially with this gorgeous weather in the O right now! Go out there and swing from trees and what not! (Insert Tarzan yell here!)

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda_D View Post
    Thanks for stopping by Momto3, I really want to respond to you. I happen to feel a bit wretched today, so I'll comment tomorrow evening.

Not too in-the-mood for posting right now. But here goes for day Eleven.
    Success Grade: C maybe it should be a D...
    Energy: 5
    Hunger: 0
    Satisfaction: 5
    Highlights: Not working OT today and lying down (which I'm just about to do).
    Notes:

Slept well
    6:00 - 2 Deviled Eggs, 2 slices bacon (no reaction this time)
    12:30 - Panda Express left-overs (chow-mein, beef w/broccoli, orange chicken)
    Not sure what I'm doing food-wise this evening.

Water 2 liters so far.
    BaconFist Master of Pork-Fu!!

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83531.html

Aaaaahhh-aah-a-aah-a-aaaaaahhhhh!!! Tarzan-ish?

Yes, Tarzaney has fallen off the vine and the next tree's pretty far away. I'm scratching this week as far as trying to keep track of things, it gets too difficult to portion out fast food meals for calories and content. And I honestly don't wanna know anyway! I'm all stocked up and prepping today, so I can be a badass cavegirl tomorrow.

Been thinking more about IF and had read a bit about others doing JUDDD (Johnson's Up Day Down Day). It appeals to me because I like the energy I get when I'm a bit hungry. Anyway, still checking into it, but wanted to post my caloric recommendations in case I decide to do it. Up day: 1772, Down day: 354 .... The crappy thing is having to track calories each day, not a fan of that, so we'll see. Maybe I'll just do my own rendition of it... Eat a lot one day, then just eat a little the next.

There are such great resources in this form, I just watched this presentation online. For the most part it wasn't any new information, just more great info to solidify what I already know and have experienced to be true. But, I did learn a few things: Fructose leads to gout and hypertension (thought it was only protein and salt involved in those respectively), and fructose acts the same as alcohol in your system, minus the drunk part... well, sort of anyway.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - UCTV - University of California Television

Back on track with eating Primal.

If there's one thing I'm consistent about, it is in being inconsistent. So, I need to make that work for me. I saw a site awhile back about a guy who was doing a different diet each month and then reviewing them. I liked the concept in that you're always keeping your body guessing, keeps it on its toes and off the plateaus. (That rhymed... Poet!) Anyway, instead of thinking so far ahead (21 days or 30 days) I'm going to try reeling it in and focus on week by week. I should be able to stick to anything for 7 days. I know Primal is my thing, so that will remain the foundation. But I can rotate between things like:
    1) Changing percentages between fat/protein/carb (always keeping carbs below 100g)
    2) Six days on with a cheat day
    3) IF and JUDDD
    4) Do what my body tells me, and that's that.
    5) Changing up exercise

This week, I'm choosing option 5.
    I have a semi eating plan... basically I have a menu so I know what foods need to be prepared, but I will just eat as my body tells me. I set up an exercise plan for the week which goes like this:
    Mon: Two 15m walks & Bellydance or Zoomba
    Tues: Two 15m walks & PEM or weights
    Wed: Two 15m walks & Spot Toning (Waist, Abs, Butt, Bust, Neck)
    Thurs: Two 15m walks & Bellydance or Zoomba
    Fri: Two 15m walks & PEM or weights
    Sat: One long walk/hike (1-3 hrs)
    Sun: Rest

Meal 1 - 3 slices bacon, 1/8 chicken sausage, chicken drumstick w/skin, V8 (6:30 am)
    Meal 2 - 2 slices bacon, chicken drumstick w/skin, 2 tbsp cocoa/coconut oil/a little honey (7:30 pm)

Water: 2.5 liters

Movement: two 15-min walks, one 30 min walk.

Worked 12 hours so not up to the 45 min aerobic routine I had planned. I do have the energy, but to keep my stress levels low I think it best to relax for a couple of hours before bed. I did do an unplanned 30 min walk, so I'll consider it a substitution of sorts.

Notes: Had consistent energy throughout the day, not overly hungry at any point. I wish I knew if I was burning fat for fuel, I hope so. I'm worried at this point that I'm not going to lose any more weight, which is more of an irrational fear than based on anything tangible. Sometimes I get too focused on short-term results instead of the big picture. I'm realizing summer is pretty much here and I still got too much tummy!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Having a difficult time staying asleep, anxiety level is high (about a 7). Freaking out over thoughts of cortisol and leptin resistance... I need to chill. I think I need some veggies and a nice long meditation. I feel like I'm struggling to get out of a downward spiral, just wish I was better at turning off my brain. One thing I really hate about having anxiety is that it is so irrational, everything small gets so big... yet, I can't convince myself or talk myself down. It is at this time that I will turn to Deepok Chopra and see what he can do for me.

Update: Someday I can read back on all this with some amusement over how tricky I thought this all was... this whole eating thing. Someday when I've finally gotten it all figured out for myself and balanced.

1) Meditated... helped quiet my thoughts
    2) Attempted to puke to rid my tummy of whatever was making it hurt... turns out it wasn't food, since nothing would come out.
    3) Ate a large salad and drank water. Tummy does feel quite a bit better.

Anxiety is now about 3, the remainder is regarding sleep and knowing I have to be up in 2 hours. Will go to sleep to a meditation to rid myself of the lingering anxiety.

Going to try to not have to work overtime today if possible. I need to de-stress in general.
    Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-07-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast