Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Hidden Warrior page 3

Brenda_D is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Day Five: Daily success score out of 10: 8
    Energy Levels: 8-9 out of 10
    Hunger Level between meals: 7 between breakfast and lunch, 1 between lunch and now (12:00-7:20 pm) will wait to eat.
    Satisfaction Level with meals: 10
    Struggles: None
    Highlights: Really positive outlook and lots of energy, feel lighter
    Need to Improve: I did well
    Notes: I love chicken again! Thank the primal lords for dark meat!!

5:15 - woke up hungry, ate a salad and chicken
    10:30 - 15 minute walk
    12:00 - pretty hungry. Salad and chicken
    not sure what time I'll eat tonight, if at all.
    (work-day: up&down stairs 20-30 times today)

EDIT: 7:00 chicken soup (chicken, cabbage, celery, carrots, ect) and chicken wing with skin. Note: Almost all chicken has been dark meat with some skin.

Water intake - 3 liters
    Last edited by Brenda_D; 04-27-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Day Six: Daily success score out of 10: 8
    Energy Levels: 8-9 out of 10
    Hunger Level between meals: 1
    Struggles: Diarrhea (see below), just trying to find the right balance between protein and fat.
    Highlights: Really positive outlook and lots of energy, feel lighter, clear head - ability to think and make decisions is greatly improved today. I also passed on fruit cravings, so "Yea Me"
    Need to Improve: Putting less food on my plate so I don't over eat... if I'm still hungry, I can always go get more.
    Notes: Weighed myself this morning, am at 166 (down 4 lbs in 5 days Mon a.m.- Sat a.m.). I can visibly see less inflamation or weight loss in my arms today.

6:00 - awake, have energy, head feels clear, hungry, start drinking water, did 20 air squats (level 4)
    7:00 - bordering on diarrhea, think it's from eating too much chicken skin yesterday
    8:30 - breakfast -2 eggs, 1 slice bacon, chopped up chicken sausage cooked with some Camalina Oil
    9:00 - yep, diarrhea... too much fat I think.
    9:30 - off to nap. My history with IBS has shown napping to counter diarrhea. Napped until 1:00, felt better. Diarrhea gone.

Full until about 5:00, ate at 5:30 to avoid snacking and/or eating foods I shouldn't

5:30 - Chicken soup (Chix, celery, carrots, zucchini, cabbage, shrooms), 1 strip bacon, 5 small pieces of chopped up chicken sausage cooked in Camalina Oil. Very full, maybe could have left out the sausage or bacon.

Water 4so far 5 oz. Expect to drink another 33 oz (liter bottle) yet this evening.
    Last edited by Brenda_D; 04-27-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Recording full-day/was just morning
    "Wild cats look their best when they're hungry, so do you." - Ori Hofmekler

Foraging for Food:

Found a meat market (TV Highway) Ponderosa (sells local only)

Purchased:
    2 lbs grass-fed ground beef (4.19/lb) they gave us one for free for first-time customer discount. - $4.19
    2 grass-fed NY Strip steaks (12.99/lb) - $16.88
    Thick-cut Bacon (3.99/lb) - this is not nitrate-free, but read about nitrate-free and that companies can claim 'no added nitrates' because they just use celery juice instead (celery is full of nitrates, so is spinach and other veggies). Not caring about nitrate free since it appears to be a big lie with a high price tag. I don't know if it is hormone free (that I care about), but it is at least local, I can dig deeper later. - $7.98
    Beef Sticks (9.00/lb) (not for me - contains skim milk, and other things) - $9.00
    Total cost: $38.05

Other grass-fed options:
    Boneless Ribeye (didn't catch price, will have to compare with whole foods $22/lb)
    Top Sirloin (probably won't eat this, not with a choice of Ribeye and NY Strip, will check on price)
    Lamb

*For a non-grassfed treat, check on price for Prime grade Tenderloin.

Found a cheap produce and meat market. Think they are primarily local and organic, will have to check.
    Ruby's Just off TV Hwy and Hall

Purchased:
    1 lb strawberries (not for me) $1
    2.28 lbs of asparagus $4.51 (Whole Foods $3.99/lb)
    2 avocados $1 (1/2 price from Fred Meyer and Safeway)
    18 oz bag Romaine hearts $1
    4 Roma Tomatoes (not for me) $.38
    2 Bananas (not for me) $.59
    1 lb Dates ($7/lb) (not for me) $7.00
    Total cost: $15.48 (Dates were a major splurge)

Other items available:
    1 lb grass-fed ground beef $5.99/lb
    1 lb grass-fed ribeye $15.99/lb (this is same price as Whole Foods, hormone-free and partly grass-fed cut)
    6 eggs - $2.32 (cage-free)
    *** this store has good prices on produce, bad pricing on eggs and meat.

Whole Foods
    Purchased:
    18 Eggs - $4.69 (cage-free, antibiotic and hormone free) --- get a better deal at Costco (will purchase there next week)
    Total Cost: $4.69

Total Shopping Cost: $58.22 for 2 people (this is obviously not the whole story of what we will eat this week, just what we bought to help fill in the gaps)

There are lots of food buying options here in Portland, OR... so will keep hunting for good food at good prices.

Sugarbare88 is offline Member
    Hey Brenda_D, I too roam the caves of Oregon!! I have read through what you have logged so far and wanted to just post a few observations. First, you post awesome and you are really through, please bottle and sell to me! Second. if you are looking to stave off hunger and gain strength, please try and see how you tolerate animal fat and pasture-raised butter(also coconut oil), adding moderate good fats to your diet will lessen your hunger and fuel your day, at least that's what usually works for me! Lastly, I hope the fruit you bought will be mainly post-workout fuel as the sugar in fruit can allow the sweet tooth to linger. Slow starches in root vegetables may be the way to go! This is just all conjecture based on the few things I have attempted so sprinkle liberally with a grain of salt. You are doing awesome keep on keeping on!
    BaconFist Master of Pork-Fu!!

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83531.html

Hi Sugarbare88! It's always exciting to see a neighbor.

Thanks for the compliment, words of encouragement and suggestions. I'll definitely take to heart the info for fueling my day. I haven't tried pasture-raised butter, but will look for it. I do tolerate animal fats well so far (just need to watch the balance). Coconut Oil I need to experiment with since I seem to have an adverse reaction to it in larger quantities than a tablespoon/day.

As for fruit, I am not eating anything sweet for at least for the first 21 days. It's on my grocery list because my fiance is allowing it in his Primal diet. I personally feel it is too much fruit for him, but this is his first time paying attention to and changing what he eats, so I'm just happy he's trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbare88 View Post
    Hey Brenda_D, I too roam the caves of Oregon!! I have read through what you have logged so far and wanted to just post a few observations. First, you post awesome and you are really through, please bottle and sell to me! Second. if you are looking to stave off hunger and gain strength, please try and see how you tolerate animal fat and pasture-raised butter(also coconut oil), adding moderate good fats to your diet will lessen your hunger and fuel your day, at least that's what usually works for me! Lastly, I hope the fruit you bought will be mainly post-workout fuel as the sugar in fruit can allow the sweet tooth to linger. Slow starches in root vegetables may be the way to go! This is just all conjecture based on the few things I have attempted so sprinkle liberally with a grain of salt. You are doing awesome keep on keeping on!

Day Seven: Daily success score out of 10: 6
    Energy Levels: 6 out of 10
    Hunger Level between meals: 1-2
    Struggles: No struggles, just extraordinarily hungry last night and this morning!
    Highlights: I really enjoyed my nap
    Need to Improve: I need to make myself do more when my energy levels are lower. I tend to let myself off the hook with the "I don't feel like it" excuse.

Last night:
    9:00 - took a late night stroll (30 min)
    10:00 - HUNGRY - 1 strip bacon, a handful of sausage pieces
    Over night
    4:00 - wide awake and HUNGRY
    4:30 - ate some chicken sausage
    Sunday Morning:
    7:00 - Awake, a bit hungry (maybe a 3)
    8:30 - pretty hungry (maybe a 6), holding off for another hour
    9:30 - Chicken soup w/Veggies, 2 oz turkey burger fried in clarified butter
    11:00 - 2:30 - Napping....
    Sunday Evening:
    8:00 - Hunger (2) -- 6 oz grass-fed NY Strip, 4 small asparagus bunches and 1 small carrot bunch wrapped in bacon strips (5 bacon strips total), small salad.... wasn't very hungry but had no problem eating all of this meat and meat fat... it was soooo yummy!! Right now I am satiated but not even close to over-full.

Next up: 30 minute stroll (nope didn't learn from last night's excursion, hoping for a different result), an hour of tele, then off for more Zzzzssss. I am a Leo and this is the life!!!! Excellent food quality, lots of sleep, play time, and just enough work to keep me proud of myself!

Notes:
    Maybe late night walking isn't the best idea, seems to kick in the hunger... but then again, perhaps that's good... I can't tell!!
    Trying to watch sodium intake, am concerned about bacon having too much sodium. Dropping olives seemed to help 'lighten the load'... I don't feel heavy with bacon, just difficult to wrap my brain around bacon really working to help with weight loss. I seem to have found a bacon that doesn't give me cold symptoms after eating it, so am thinking it's an ingredient in some bacons that I react to.
    Last edited by Brenda_D; 04-28-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Finished recording the day

zoeamy is offline Member
    I often wonder if bacon is different in the USA to in Australia. Here, bacon is made with sugar, lots of salt and a host of preservatives, so I don't understand how it is primal at all.

Luckily for my pork loving partner, we have been able to find bacon that only has 2 ingredients: Pork & salt.

the Nitrites and preservatives in bacon could be whats giving you trouble. It is essentially a processed meat IMO.
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

That's great that you've found Pork with only salt added. I don't know if there is a difference or not between our two countries and their bacon, but I have seen some bacon packages here containing sugar and a load of other ingredients that look like they are chemicals. I agree with you that in general, bacon (at least most) is processed, yet I like eating it because it has so much fat. I don't have to worry about the protein/fat ratio with that one... just the salt factor.

I did notice that the bacon I'm tolerant of so far doesn't have the typical strong bacon flavor, it takes more like ham. I did read the ingredients when I purchased it and I know it contained 4 ingredients: Pork, Salt, Sodium Nitrate (and 1 more thing I can't remember,it was an ingredient I've never heard of).

Sugarbare88 is offline Member
    The secret ingredient is love! I forgot to mention how much I like your rating system for your days, that is so boss! Also did you see the sun teasing us yesterday? I mean come on Oregon...IT IS SPRING! I am sorry you had to witness that horrible display!

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda_D View Post
    That's great that you've found Pork with only salt added. I don't know if there is a difference or not between our two countries and their bacon, but I have seen some bacon packages here containing sugar and a load of other ingredients that look like they are chemicals. I agree with you that in general, bacon (at least most) is processed, yet I like eating it because it has so much fat. I don't have to worry about the protein/fat ratio with that one... just the salt factor.

I did notice that the bacon I'm tolerant of so far doesn't have the typical strong bacon flavor, it takes more like ham. I did read the ingredients when I purchased it and I know it contained 4 ingredients: Pork, Salt, Sodium Nitrate (and 1 more thing I can't remember,it was an ingredient I've never heard of).
    BaconFist Master of Pork-Fu!!

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83531.html

LOL! Yes, the secret ingredient must be love... cuz it leaves my tummy all tingly warm.... Mmmm bacon! I wish I could take credit for the ranking system, but alas it is not mine. It is Mark's (MDA) from his 21-day transformation book. I did see the sun teasing us yesterday, and it teased me today as I walked during one of my breaks... cruel sun, went behind some clouds and let those clouds tinkle on me! How Rude! It's been one seriously gorgeous afternoon today, I hope you've had time to be outside and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbare88 View Post
    The secret ingredient is love! I forgot to mention how much I like your rating system for your days, that is so boss! Also did you see the sun teasing us yesterday? I mean come on Oregon...IT IS SPRING! I am sorry you had to witness that horrible display!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast