Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausages page

Mick Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

How about sausages?

Here's one meat product that's still healthily high in fat - although that abomination the "low-fat sausage" is making its way onto the supermarket shelves.

Dried ones, like salami, can be problematic. Some modern ones have a heck of a lot of dextrose or other sugar added, and they use nitrites for pickling rather than salt, which is safer. You also find skim milk powder. Now skim milk powder is from milk that has been spray dried at high heat, which does some very nasty things to it (even it's said creating carcinogens). Besides, some people may be allergic to milk.

So how about ordinary sausages for cooking? You can get decent sausages with a high meat and fat content and not a lot of fillers like rusk or other forms of cereal in them and not too many additives. It's amazing how they adulterate our food! Or you could make them. (Really, when you begin to look into it, it becomes clear that eating properly involves far more work in the kitchen. You have to do a lot yourself.)

There's no such thing as a convenience food, if having health that's undermined is inconvenient to you.

So any recipes for home-made sausages? I think I've probably got the odd one in books that I've never used, but I'd love to hear what others do.

And how about cooking them? The traditional way is frying them, slowly and gradually, usually in lard.

You can't use a non-stick pan. We know that breakdown products from non-stick pans - types of fluoride compounds - have even been found in newborn babies. We also know these compounds interfere with pathways in the brain.

So it's cast iron or pressed steel or enamel, probably the first being easiest. And plenty of shaking and turning to stop them sticking. Or do people not like the mess it makes of the pan? (If making your own at home I suppose you might skip the casing and make them flat like a hamburger patty. Without the casing they might not stick.) How might you cook them besides that?

A George Foreman "lean mean grilling machine" is obviously out. Sorry George: we don't want the fat to run out. (Nor do we want your non-stick surface.) I shan't even mention that abomination the microwave.

Then there's baking in the oven, which some people do - seems to me that dries them out. Or I guess you could fry them up a bit for colour and then poach them in water or stock.

So how do people like to cook theirs?

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

flynavywife has a recipe around here somewhere for sausage.

CaveGirl Guest

I buy my sausages from the farmer's market from local pastured/grassfed animals. Ingredients are usually: meat, fat, spices. Thats all folks!

sammylou is offline Junior Member

i do like cavegirl and buy from my butcher. no crap added.

chiapasfixed Guest

here in Australia, even the kangaroo sausages have wheat and/or rice flour added. No local butcher. Drives me crazy!!

on the other hand, lots of wild meats available for cheap: camel, kangaroo, snake, crocodile! Just the sausages suck!

PrimalCanuck is offline Junior Member

I cook my sausages in the oven in my stainless steel frying pan, and they only dry out if I lose track of time and leave them in for too long. I like them for breakfast and have them cook while I'm showering. Very efficient.

Tarlach is offline Member

Same as others - I get real meat sausages from the butcher. They always get cooked on the barbecue.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Mick Guest

Barbecuing - that's another method.

There was a chef who recently suggested people doing barbecues could poach sausages in a saucepan of water for ten minutes first. The thinking there is it makes sure they're cooked in the centre: it's difficult to do that on a barbecue unless you leave them on too long.

I haven't tried that. Poaching would have been the kind of thing people did though, as well eating raw and toasting. Before they had pots that could go on the fire and take the direct heat, they heated stones and dropped them in the cooking vessel.

I'm living in an area where there's flint, and you find huge quantities of burnt flint on mesolithic sites. Traditionally these lumps of burnt flint are called "potboilers", although I'd have thought flint would have been an unsuitable stone for the purpose.

People who didn't even have pots did stone boiling. You dig a hole in the ground, line it with an animal hide, and use that. That's what the Assiniboin did - hence their name, which means "The Stone Boilers".

Mick Guest

Here's a recipe I found from 1800:
    [quote]

"To every pound of lean pork one and a quarter pounds of fat, pepper and salt, nutmeg, a handful of pennyroyal and marjoram shred small. Put all into the guts, twist into lengths, dry a little before you fry them."</blockquote>

Trinkwasser Guest

Oof! AFAICR pennyroyal may cause abortion.

Apart from that and the fact sausage skins are usually synthetic, and they add other herbs and spices for the different varieties, and some are based on lamb or beef, this is probably not too far from what our butcher uses. Real sausages are something of a local tradition, many butchers still make their own. My favourites are Cumberland sausages with black pepper (in Cumberland I&#39;ve had them as a continuous length rather than twisted into links). We broil them, not much fat escapes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast