Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does my thyroid play into weight loss stall, cholesterol, etc? page

jodeyh is offline Member

How does my thyroid play into weight loss stall, cholesterol, etc?

Primal Fuel
    I've been on Levoxyl for 12 years. I was dx'd with hypothyroidism while pregnant with my first child. I had a goiter at the time (which has been biopsied numerous times over the years), which I think is how I first found out about the hypo.

Fast forward to now...my goiter is still in existence. I take .2 of Levoxyl/day, and 2 pills on Sundays. My goiter had gotten to be quite large, at least that's how it felt to me. I read about iodine and goiters, so I started taking 300mcg of iodine liquid/day a few months ago. My goiter immediately got smaller. Like within a day or so. I should note: I do NOT have Hashimoto's. I had my endo test for that back in December and my test indicated no inflammation (result was 33). I bought a different iodine supplement recently, and 1 drop=600mcg of iodine. My goiter is even smaller now.

I had blood drawn this week and should get my results in a day or so. But until then, I'm wondering:

1. My LDL, since going Primal a year ago, has steadily increased from 98 in 3/12 to 151 in 12/12. Does thyroid function have anything to do with this? (My other lipid panel numbers in 12/12 were: total 225, trig 114, HDL 51, VLDL 23. MY A1C was 5.8, and has steadily decreased since going Primal...the high was 6.6 back in 3/12. My Vit D was low as of my last bloodwork in 12/12, with result of 25.9. I take 5000IU/day now.

2. My hair is falling out again, despite my best efforts of taking biotin and many other supps (not just for hair). This is recurring with me...but the endo says it's not my thyroid. TSH was .037 (12/12) down from .349 (5/12). T4, free was 1.49 in 12/12, TPO was 33, T3, free, serum was 2.9.

3. Does it appear that my thyroid would be causing issues with weight loss according to the numbers? I realize it's not all about numbers and that the body is a very complicated, interconnected system...but surely the numbers can help?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodeyh View Post
    1. My LDL, since going Primal a year ago, has steadily increased from 98 in 3/12 to 151 in 12/12. Does thyroid function have anything to do with this?
    Yes, poor function thyroid downregulates LDL receptors, which results in increasing LDL levels.

(My other lipid panel numbers in 12/12 were: total 225, trig 114, HDL 51, VLDL 23. MY A1C was 5.8, and has steadily decreased since going Primal...the high was 6.6 back in 3/12. My Vit D was low as of my last bloodwork in 12/12, with result of 25.9. I take 5000IU/day now.
    What are the trends in Trigs and HDL from 3/12 to 12/12? Is Trigs going down and HDL going up? Because if so, that's a good trend.

2. My hair is falling out again, despite my best efforts of taking biotin and many other supps (not just for hair). This is recurring with me...but the endo says it's not my thyroid. TSH was .037 (12/12) down from .349 (5/12). T4, free was 1.49 in 12/12, TPO was 33, T3, free, serum was 2.9.

3. Does it appear that my thyroid would be causing issues with weight loss according to the numbers? I realize it's not all about numbers and that the body is a very complicated, interconnected system...but surely the numbers can help?
    I don't have issues with hair or weight loss, but is something other posters have had problems with in association with thyroid problems.

About the only thing I can add is that Selenium is a good supplement to take with Iodine (I eat a Brazil Nut each day). And that *some* level of carbs are good for your thyroid.

And if you have a really screwed thyroid, then T3 supplements might be able to help (although I personally don't take them).

Best of luck.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Since different labs have different reference ranges for their tests. So, it would be very helpful if you could include the ranges for your results.

My thoughts without reference ranges:
    Yes, increased cholesterol can be a symptom of hypothyroidism.
    Yes, hair loss can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. So can anemia, including low ferritin, as well was low vitamin D
    You can test negative for thyroid antibodies TPO, TgAb, and still have Hashimoto's. The definitive test is a thyroid biopsy.

jodeyh is offline Member
    Yep! Trigs going down (high of 195 in 3/12) and HDL going up (46 in 3/12). Just that damn LDL that has me a bit concerned.

I supplement with selenium. Maybe I need to take more...I currently take 250mcg/day. I do eat carbs...I just try not to eat more than 50-75g/day. I have a lot of weight to lose; 75+ lbs.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are supporting of your thyroid in all of the most common ways.

Your LDL/HDL ratio has increased from 2.1 to 3 in that time. Ideally it should be below 4.3 (read through the primer in my sig if you are still worried). I don't think you should worry too much about your LDL just yet.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jodeyh is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Since different labs have different reference ranges for their tests. So, it would be very helpful if you could include the ranges for your results.

My thoughts without reference ranges:
    Yes, increased cholesterol can be a symptom of hypothyroidism.
    Yes, hair loss can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. So can anemia, including low ferritin, as well was low vitamin D
    You can test negative for thyroid antibodies TPO, TgAb, and still have Hashimoto's. The definitive test is a thyroid biopsy.
    TSH .037 (.450-4.500) *my endo said that a low number was good
    T4, Free 1.49 (.82-1.77)
    Vit D 25.9 (30-100)
    TPO Ab 33 (0-34)
    T3, Free 2.9 (2.0-4.4)

I think I will request a copy of my medical records with the biopsies of my thyroid. Can one be dx'd with Hashimoto's then have it go away?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    TSH .037 (.450-4.500) *my endo said that a low number was good
    T4, Free 1.49 (.82-1.77)
    Vit D 25.9 (30-100)
    TPO Ab 33 (0-34)
    T3, Free 2.9 (2.0-4.4)

I think I will request a copy of my medical records with the biopsies of my thyroid. Can one be dx'd with Hashimoto's then have it go away?
    Your FT4 is 71% of it's range. Your FT3 is 38% of it's range. Good conversion from T4 to T3 would show your FT4 and FT3 in, approximately, the same place in their ranges. Since your FT3 is only at 38%, with a FT4 at 71% it looks like you are having conversion problems.

Things that help conversion:
    1. Selenium 200mcg/day. Be careful, getting more than 400mcg may be toxic.
    2. Optimal Vitamin D
    3. Optimal ferritin
    4. Adequate calories and or carbs. Some people need at least 50 grams of carbs/day for good conversion.
    5. Not over exercising.

If addressing the things listed above does not improve conversion, looking into taking either a T4/T3 combo med (Armour, Naturethroid, etc) or adding a T3 med (Cytomel) to your Levoxyl might be a good idea.

Please note your antibody (TPO) level. You are producing thyroid antibodies close to the upper limit for normal. Antibodies fluctuate so you could have had periods where they went over the upper limit. In addition, some people believe having any antibodies indicates a thyroid under attack. I think seeing if Hashimoto's is present in your biopsies is a good idea.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    I was tested for Hashimoto's regularly for 5 years (because both my endos believed that I had it), but my antibody level was never high enough for a diagnosis. I was diagnosed via a biopsy of one of my thyroid nodules. Therefore, it's best NOT to supplement with iodine unless you've had a biopsy and are certain that you don't have Hashi's.

I also had low D3 (as the OP) and supplementing and raising my level to 77 made a WORLD of difference. I actually didn't think I felt too bad with my low D3 (the result came as a surprise to me), but once I raised it, I felt incredibly better. My symptoms of low D3 are similar to my symptoms of low thyroid, so the two can be confused.

Also never supplement without testing first. When I was unusually fatigued, my endo tested BOTH my T3 and B12 because either could have been the cause. It turned out to be my T3 (conversion problems are characteristic of Hashi's), but my B12 was amazingly high. Had I simply supplemented B12 on my own, I would have created a mess for myself.

Since Hashi's is an autoimmune disease (like MS and lupus), I doubt that it 'goes away.' Also, it is known that with one autoimmune disease, a person is more liable to develop others.

jodeyh is offline Member
    I had no idea about the conversion issues, etc. I went over to Kresser's site and printed out his series on thyroid issues. I'll be doing some reading on that. I think I will ask for a new biopsy when I see my endo next week. Might as well have the most up to date info.

Nobody has ever tested my B12, but I will ask for it to be tested. I do supplement that b/c I have depression. In fact, here are the supps I take:

Night:
    600mcg biotin
    cinnamon
    10mg zinc

Morning:
    cinnamon
    600mcg biotin
    2400mg vit K
    10mg manganese
    400mg Inositol
    400mg Choline
    18mg ferrous fumarate
    250mcg selenium
    200mcg chromium
    5000IU Vit D3
    500mg magnesium
    2 Trader Joe's Super Crusade multi
    1000mg methyl B12
    600mcg iodine

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    For hair loss, check iron and ferritin levels too.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast