Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How does my thyroid play into weight loss stall, cholesterol, etc? page 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Conversion issues and the like are not usually diagnosed by your standard doctor of medicine. It's the sort of thing that holistic and functional medicine practitioners look at. Reason being the medical solution is more T4....for everything. So if the diagnosis doesn't change the prescription why do further testing or be more specific about your diagnosis?

Here is one good book on it if your interested Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: Datis Kharrazian: 9780985690403: Amazon.com: Books

Various types of health practitioners practice in this fashion. It really depends what doctor you are comfortable with. There is a nurse practitioner, one medical doctor, and two chiropractors in my area that do functional medicine. You may have to pay out of pocket for some of the services though. Good luck.

jodeyh is offline Member
    I take 250mcg of selenium /day. I've been taking it since right t after my blood work in December. I know I used to be anemic, but I'm not anymore. I take iron daily and more during my period bc it is very heavy, tho since going primal it has normalized some. It's regular now. I've never had ferritin levels checked, but I will ask endo if he'll do it.

Do you think the inflammation could be my thyroid because of the iodine? I've stopped taking it and will have crp tested again in a couple weeks.

I'm not sure what to do about carbs. I feel good at the level I'm at, but weight loss is currently a problem.

So knowing that, what are opinions of adding t3?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodeyh View Post
    I take 250mcg of selenium /day. I've been taking it since right t after my blood work in December. I know I used to be anemic, but I'm not anymore. I take iron daily and more during my period bc it is very heavy, tho since going primal it has normalized some. It's regular now. I've never had ferritin levels checked, but I will ask endo if he'll do it.

Do you think the inflammation could be my thyroid because of the iodine? I've stopped taking it and will have crp tested again in a couple weeks.

I'm not sure what to do about carbs. I feel good at the level I'm at, but weight loss is currently a problem.

So knowing that, what are opinions of adding t3?
    Is this the first time you had C-Reactive Protein tested? I ask because you have a goiter and they can involve inflammation. Many other things can cause inflammation, so it would be hard to know if the goiter, the iodine or something else is causing the high CRP.

Mine was high (5) and my endo dismissed it as a genetic anomaly. Turns out I had bone on bone arthritis in my knee, which was very inflamed. The endo dismissed the knee pain because of my weight.

How many grams of carbs are you eating on a daily basis?

jodeyh is offline Member
    I really thought I'd had one done prior, but I can't find the results. I'm going to keep looking, though.

Right now I'm eating at least 75g of carbs a day.

And I just realized something...my sleep, since I stopped the iodine, sucks. I'm FREEZING at night (more than usual) and it's making my sleep suffer. I already sleep in long sleeve nightgown with flannel sheets, a comforter and an additional blanket.

jodeyh is offline Member
    I also just noticed another test result back from 5/21/12 that shows my TPO Ab at 42. High end of range is 34. So that indicates my thyroid is under attack, right?

Another result back from 6/14/11 shows that I did have a serum ferritin done and it was 178 (13-150), so high. I also had a test for Sedimentation Rate-Westergen and my result was 49 (0-39). I remember my GP thought there was a chance I had lupus. Isn't that another autoimmune? Turns out I didn't; she did a retest a few months later and the results were well within normal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123