Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foods to avoid to get a flat stomach page

Traveller is offline Senior Member

Foods to avoid to get a flat stomach

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I'm getting a bit frustrated and depressed lately.
    As far as I can tell I'm eating quite primally, but I still have belly fat. As in, a protruding stomach. It's on the hips as well.

My upper body is not particularly flabby, nor are my legs or butt. Well, maybe a bit in the butt.
    But my torso just isn't changing. It fluctuates, but doesn't actually change.

What are the main things that contribute to a toned stomach?
    The main foods, exercise/s, etc.

Anything in particular I should avoid?

Definitely one of the most embarrassing and personal threads I've ever posted.

Thanks!

Traveller.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The fat will come off in the reverse order you gained it, provided you are losing fat. There are no foods to avoid nor specific exercises to spot-reduce belly fat. It may just be an issue of excess calories.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    What about exercise? Heavy lifting, sprints, etc...
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A good exercise regimen will indeed lean you out.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Do:

-Walk AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Slow movement is GOOOOOOOD. Do lots of this.
    -Lift weights (heavy ones) twice a week. It should be at a level where it is hard for you to do more than five in a row. Then repeat after brief rests in between for five sets.
    -Sprint once every week or two. Sprints lean folks out, 'nuff said.
    -Eat lots of fat. Not to the exclusion of adequate micronutrient levels, but plenty to keep you full and reduce cravings to snack.
    -Keep protein levels reasonable. You need it to gain muscle mass for sure, but 1 gram per pound of LEAN body weight (nobody has 0% bodyfat) is plenty.
    -Make sure carbs are matched to activity level. On sprinting or lifting days eat more. On days you just went for a walk? Some non-starchy veggies may be more than enough.
    -Remember that sugar is sugar is sugar. Fruits may be a great choice on heavy workout days, but it's still sugar, so don't exclude them, just be aware.
    -Caffeine: If you are sensitive, avoid. Otherwise, it does slightly boost metabolism and liberate some fatty acids for you to use as energy so have that cuppa (whatever your caffeine preference is) before your walk or workout.

Don't:

-Eat grains. Period. But since you found this place you're probably on top of that one.
    -Eat foods that make you binge. Even if they are "paleo or primal approved" foods, if you find yourself binging on them, maybe best to eliminate from the diet. Remember, calories still matter to a degree.
    -Sit for long periods. Even just standing boosts energy expenditure (metabolism) so get up and stretch and stand as much as you can (while still feeling comfortable).
    -Neglect your gut biome. Get your healthy fermented foods full of good probiotics because a healthy gut has been shown to increase weightloss (and mental health to boot)!
    -Neglect your stress levels and mental health. Stress is shown to decrease weightloss and increase fat gaining. Try yoga, tai chi, herbs and spices, or if it's really serious, talk to a therapist or join a support group.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 04-17-2013 at 06:32 PM.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Do:

-Walk AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Slow movement is GOOOOOOOD. Do lots of this.
    -Lift weights (heavy ones) twice a week. It should be at a level where it is hard for you to do more than five in a row. Then repeat after brief rests in between for five sets.
    -Sprint once every week or two. Sprints lean folks out, 'nuff said.
    -Eat lots of fat. Not to the exclusion of adequate micronutrient levels, but plenty to keep you full and reduce cravings to snack.
    -Keep protein levels reasonable. You need it to gain muscle mass for sure, but 1 gram per pound of LEAN body weight (nobody has 0% bodyfat) is plenty.
    -Make sure carbs are matched to activity level. On sprinting or lifting days eat more. On days you just went for a walk? Some non-starchy veggies may be more than enough.
    -Remember that sugar is sugar is sugar. Fruits may be a great choice on heavy workout days, but it's still sugar, so don't exclude them, just be aware.
    -Caffeine: If you are sensitive, avoid. Otherwise, it does slightly boost metabolism and liberate some fatty acids for you to use as energy so have that cuppa (whatever your caffeine preference is) before your walk or workout.

Don't:

-Eat grains. Period. But since you found this place you're probably on top of that one.
    -Eat foods that make you binge. Even if they are "paleo or primal approved" foods, if you find yourself binging on them, maybe best to eliminate from the diet. Remember, calories still matter to a degree.
    -Sit for long periods. Even just standing boosts energy expenditure (metabolism) so get up and stretch and stand as much as you can (while still feeling comfortable).
    -Neglect your gut biome. Get your healthy fermented foods full of good probiotics because a healthy gut has been shown to increase weightloss (and mental health to boot)!
    -Neglect your stress levels and mental health. Stress is shown to decrease weightloss and increase fat gaining. Try yoga, tai chi, herbs and spices, or if it's really serious, talk to a therapist or join a support group.

Just my two cents.
    Really excellent advice. Bookmarked!

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Really excellent advice. Bookmarked!
    Haha, thanks. I can provide a few more "advanced" pieces of advice as well, but I assumed our OP is new here and wanted to start with the most important and easy to implement stuff.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Drumroll's comments are excellent. I especially second the mention of walking. This has been a major change in my life. I walk 4-8 miles per day, and some days 10-12. Feels good, is relaxing.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to hear the advanced tips

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I'd like to hear the advanced tips
    Errr... Ok, for you, a few advanced ones:

Do:

-IF. Start with something basic like a 16/8 split at first (16 hours of eating NOTHING and then two meals eaten in a period of eight hours) and once you get used to this, try to dial down it to a more "Warrior Diet" 20/4 split (one large meal eaten slowly over four hours).
    -Use cinnamon on your food. It has a compound in it that seems to increase insulin sensitivity remarkably well. The research is just getting started on this, but preliminary results have been great.
    -Use coconut oil as your go-to cooking fat since coconut oil increases metabolic rate due to MCT content.
    -Drink oolong tea (of all of the "true" teas it seems to increase metabolic rate the most).
    -Take time off from working out if you are injured or over-stressed. Working out increases stress which, compounded on top of injuries or other types of stress can actually slow weightloss. Take a week or two to heal or get your mind/life in order, then hop back on it.
    -Include the occasional 24-hour fast in your routine.

Don't:

-Count calories daily. Dial them in weekly instead. So, if you need 2,000 calories a day to maintain, instead of trying to reach this number daily, focus on hitting 14,000 calories WEEKLY. This allows for fasting days, higher calorie days, etc. without making you feel like you've sabotaged yourself that day.
    -Stress about if you've hit a weightloss stall. Your body may be telling you that you've hit your "optimal" weight, you may have some stress to take care of or some healing that needs to be done.
    -Take ANY of the advice you find on this or any other website as gospel, even as good as it might seem to be. Weightloss is VERY personal, and everyone will find their OWN path to success. Find yours and f*ck the rest of 'em.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast