Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Foods to avoid to get a flat stomach page 3

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Choco, my diet would scare the shit out of you then. And yet, to see me is to see how much I've leaned out over the past few months. Still a little to go but eating low carb, moderate (well, moderately high I guess) protein, and high fat has made the fat just kind of melt off. I am never the kind to say that calories don't matter (they do) but I also think there is something else going on here that I can't explain that is beyond the calories (yeah, yeah, high fat = high calories = fat gain blah blah blah) but I don't care anymore. It worked for me and I'm happy to continue it as long as it continues to do so.

I don't have any science to explain it but my n=1 here says that learning not to be afraid of fat has totally changed how I feel and my body composition has loved me for it.

Remember, this is above all an INDIVIDUAL JOURNEY. Just because it worked (and is still working) like crazy for me does NOT mean it will for others. Make up your own mind and decide for yourself how you want to eat.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    This is essentially my diet over the past 3-4 weeks. I have white rice from time to time, add sugar/maple syrup to coffee, and cheat on gum free ice-cream as a treat, but other than that it is as Choco suggests. Haven't added thyroid supplements though. Overall, I would say this is a great way to eat and I've been seeing nice results.

EDIT: I also drink skim milk for calcium.
    Sounds like a plan. I don't do skim milk, though. I get this milk:

Natural By Nature - Organic, grass-fed dairy products

It's an East Coast thing, but damn is it good. It's the best tasting milk I've ever had that isn't raw, and it's grassfed and semi-local. Whole Paycheck really socks you for it though, $4.69/half gal. I'll only buy whole because all the vitamins are in the milkfat. If you remove the fat, you remove the Vitamin A, K2 MK-4 and CLA. The real reason why I drink it is the MK-4 and CLA.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Choco, my diet would scare the shit out of you then. And yet, to see me is to see how much I've leaned out over the past few months. Still a little to go but eating low carb, moderate (well, moderately high I guess) protein, and high fat has made the fat just kind of melt off. I am never the kind to say that calories don't matter (they do) but I also think there is something else going on here that I can't explain that is beyond the calories (yeah, yeah, high fat = high calories = fat gain blah blah blah) but I don't care anymore. It worked for me and I'm happy to continue it as long as it continues to do so.
    Calories are all that matter for weight loss. If the fat is "melting off," it's because you've sustained a regular deficit, and that is excellent work on your part. Did you come from a place of significant obesity? The more weight you have to lose, the less stressful a low carbohydrate diet is going to be. Your body is practically begging for you to lose the fat, so a low carbohydrate diet will probably be fairly easy on your thyroid and adrenals since you're overall benefiting from such significant weight loss. You'll find the leaner you get, the less healthy low carbohydrate becomes. When you get to a place where you are lean enough that your body starts getting concerned about fat stores for survival, you'll really hit the wall eating low carb. At this point, you'll seriously want to drop fats to cut calories and add in sugar and starch to support your thyroid and adrenals. The leaner you are, the more carbs you need to support your metabolic rate.

I don't have any science to explain it but my n=1 here says that learning not to be afraid of fat has totally changed how I feel and my body composition has loved me for it.

Remember, this is above all an INDIVIDUAL JOURNEY. Just because it worked (and is still working) like crazy for me does NOT mean it will for others. Make up your own mind and decide for yourself how you want to eat.
    No one should be afraid of fat. No one should be afraid of carbs, either. However, if you want to get very lean, it's important to understand that dietary fat in general is more fattening than dietary carbohydrate. If you want to get to average leanness, eating whole foods is probably enough. If you are already fairly lean and want to get shredded for the beach, the first thing to go should be dietary fat.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Choco, I hear you say that calories are ALL that matter for fat or weight gain.

And then I hear you say that fat gets stored directly as fat.

So, how is fat MORE fattening than any other macronutrient and more likely to get stored as fat than the other macronutrients if CALORIES ARE ALL THAT MATTER for weightloss or gain?

In my mind, you can't on the one hand, single out a certain macronutrient as more fattening than the others while ALSO saying macronutrients don't matter, only overall calories do.

Sure, fat has more calories than the other macronutrients do but you just have to keep your consumption of them to a level sustainable within your caloric allotment. But the EXACT same thing is true of ALL macronutrients, not just fat.

Guy A says "I cut some fat from my diet and had been losing weight as a result." Guy A then says, "but I then replaced those calories with extra protein and carbs and have been gaining again. What gives? Aren't protein and carbs less fattening than fat?"

Nope. In a pure CICO equation (assuming it is correct) there is no difference between the macronutrients on whether you gain fat. ONLY total calories (regardless of the source) would matter.

You single out one macro while at the same time saying the macros don't matter. Pick one or the other.

This is one time you CAN'T have your cake and eat it too.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    "How can I get a flat stomach?" said no caveman ever.

Matt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Sounds like a plan. I don't do skim milk, though. I get this milk:

Natural By Nature - Organic, grass-fed dairy products

It's an East Coast thing, but damn is it good. It's the best tasting milk I've ever had that isn't raw, and it's grassfed and semi-local. Whole Paycheck really socks you for it though, $4.69/half gal. I'll only buy whole because all the vitamins are in the milkfat. If you remove the fat, you remove the Vitamin A, K2 MK-4 and CLA. The real reason why I drink it is the MK-4 and CLA.
    I have searched everywhere in my town for grass-fed milk, cannot find it. Hell, it is damn near impossible to find grass-fed anything. If I had access to that milk I'd definately give it a whirl. Although I do not seem to tolerate whole milk as well as skim... not sure why.

Fantazmic is offline Member
    Just hang in there eating primally...the weight will leave.

Belly fat for me was a combination of two things....diet (and youve had some great advice on this already) which if it is incorrect causes internal swelling and this takes time to come down. Take a double dose of probiotics every day you cannot overdose on them and for me they have made a huge difference.

and slack muscles which can only be fixed with lots of core exercises.

it has taken me 17 months but my stomach is finally flat the majority of the time.

Keep going....it takes time for the body to heal

Choco, I hear you say that calories are ALL that matter for fat or weight gain.

And then I hear you say that fat gets stored directly as fat.

So, how is fat MORE fattening than any other macronutrient and more likely to get stored as fat than the other macronutrients if CALORIES ARE ALL THAT MATTER for weightloss or gain?
    You can't gain weight without a caloric surplus. The difference is, when you are in a caloric surplus, dietary fat is more likely to be stored as body fat than dietary carbohydrate or protein.

If you are trying to gain weight, you're better off upping carbs and protein to ingest more calories than upping fat. When you gain weight, a certain percentage is always muscle and fat, and you will probably put on a better ratio of muscle to fat upping carbs than fat.

Similarly, if you're trying to lose weight - say you're cutting 10 lbs for beach season - you'd probably retain more lean mass by dropping fats more than carbs since carbohydrate is generally more anabolic due to the insulin response and thyroid benefits.

Weight is overemphasized. Body composition is what matters. There are plenty of bodybuilders and athletes that are "overweight" with barely any fat on their bodies.

Choco, you keep saying dietary fat is more likely to be stored as fat and carbs and protein not. Yet, I've not ever ONCE seen you offer a SHRED of scientific proof to back up your statement to this effect.

If it's so worthy of the soapbox you shout it from, find the proof.

And you know exactly what I mean.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    When you get to a place where you are lean enough that your body starts getting concerned about fat stores for survival, you'll really hit the wall eating low carb. At this point, you'll seriously want to drop fats to cut calories and add in sugar and starch to support your thyroid and adrenals. The leaner you are, the more carbs you need to support your metabolic rate.
    I've been eating primal for about 18 months to help ease an ED. I'm certainly lean, but struggling with cravings and binging. I'm suddenly interested in increasing carbs and helping my body rather than hindering it. I think my adrenals are in tatters but I have no idea bout my thyroid. Can you offer some links to ease me into a higher carb way of thinking? I feel it's the next place for me to go. I've been eating potatoes and rice this week and feel like I've come home.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast