Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foods to avoid to get a flat stomach page 2

ChristyK is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I have had the good fortune of a slim frame my whole life but ever since the 'freshman ten" in college many years ago (I'm 45), I've always had a gut. Drove me nuts and I always ran my hands under my shirts when I put them on in order to stretch them out a bit so my stomach didn't show. My stomach stuck out about evenly to my butt on the other side when standing sideways. It's common with women, but I just didn't find it acceptable. But I have been absolutely thrilled over the past few weeks as I've finally lost most of my belly fat. It's frustrating that I feel like I can't tell others how excited I am because they'll just comment (or at least think), "you were never overweight and haven't had to work at it".

Anyway.. I can't tell you what has definitely worked, so I'll just tell you some of the things I eat. Before I found Marksdailyapple and primal eating, I tried the 'lots of bananas' approach. (I do love bananas. Just didn't stay with it because I knew it didn't make sense long term) I still eat a banana every morning before taking the kids to school (and will have up to three per day). I then have breakfast which has most often been a protein fruit smoothie (blended not juiced, and often containing a banana), but occasionally is eggs or egg/banana pancake. I found a few months ago that I really like vanilla Greek yogurt and have eaten at least a serving each day (was never much of a dairy person before that). Other than that it's the usual primal stuff throughout the day - nothing very fancy, but absolutely no wheat.

I have not even started the primal fitness yet (had an injured shoulder), but that begins next week. I might actually get a toned stomach at this rate! Nor was there any type of formal exercise during the past few months. I know there are plenty of arguments for and against bananas, but I'm a big fan. I read on a thread somewhere a post by a bio-chemist saying that a banana first thing in the morning 45 minutes before breakfast helps reduce water retention. All I know is that it hasn't hurt me and may have been a big factor along with the other primal foods.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have tried various types of intermittent fasting. Since I started playing with that, I have gotten much leaner.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There are no foods to avoid nor specific exercises to spot-reduce belly fat. It may just be an issue of excess calories.
    Or it could be that sugar and grains cause belly fat, and has nothing to do with excess calories.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you're getting enough sleep! Get More Sleep, Lose More Fat AnthonyColpo

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    Make sure you're getting enough sleep! Get More Sleep, Lose More Fat AnthonyColpo
    Sorry, a bit off topic but that article made me laugh. I read his book and all he bangs on about is CICO. That article admits that lack of sleep causes hormonal changes and even with a calorie deficit it will be more difficult t lose fat if you don't get enough sleep.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Avoid REFINED foods first and foremost:
    - Oils
    - Sugars

Those two things are the #1 fat gainers. Nothing will make you gain fat faster than oils and sugars because both provide lots of calories with little nutrition and satiety. Yes, oils may be even worse than sugars because dietary fat is directly stored as fat. There is just as much fat in cake, cookies and doughnuts as there is carbohydrate!

Flours
    - All of them

High food reward, low satiety. Replacing wheat flour with gluten free Primal blends (like coconut flour, tapioca flour or arrowroot) may be healthier, but you'll eat the same amount of stuff. Avoid nut meals like the plague.

Other killers:
    - Nuts
    - Seeds
    - Chocolate
    - Alcohol
    - Full fat cheeses
    - Fried starches

Very low water content, very high caloric density, mostly fat. These things can be healthy foods given they are quality sources, but a small handful of each can have hundreds of calories. A small cup of nuts has more calories than a 16 oz steak, or several heads of broccoli, and we all know how we can pile cheese on top of things by the handful and if anything it just makes us want to eat even more!

Great foods for fat loss:
    - Fruit (raw, not dried - very positive thyroid effect)
    - Boiled or lightly baked starches without added fat (low palatability, low food reward, high water content)
    - Lean meats (the higher the protein:fat ratio the lower the caloric density and higher the satiety)
    - Whole eggs
    - Cottage cheese (I prefer Friendship brand 1% 'no salt added' if you can't get a grassfed source, I can't)
    - Raw or steamed vegetables - this one is obvious

I recommend salting food heavily, especially with iodized salt, to increase thyroid function and boost fat loss. You may gain water weight initially from the increased sodium in your diet, but most of us are at least borderline hypothyroid. Iodized salt and a thyroid supplement (like Raw Adrenal and Raw Thyroid, or Vitacost's Thyroid Complex) can really help speed things along.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-18-2013 at 06:59 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Do:

-Walk AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Slow movement is GOOOOOOOD. Do lots of this.
    -Lift weights (heavy ones) twice a week. It should be at a level where it is hard for you to do more than five in a row. Then repeat after brief rests in between for five sets.
    -Sprint once every week or two. Sprints lean folks out, 'nuff said.
    -Eat lots of fat. Not to the exclusion of adequate micronutrient levels, but plenty to keep you full and reduce cravings to snack.
    -Keep protein levels reasonable. You need it to gain muscle mass for sure, but 1 gram per pound of LEAN body weight (nobody has 0% bodyfat) is plenty.
    -Make sure carbs are matched to activity level. On sprinting or lifting days eat more. On days you just went for a walk? Some non-starchy veggies may be more than enough.
    -Remember that sugar is sugar is sugar. Fruits may be a great choice on heavy workout days, but it's still sugar, so don't exclude them, just be aware.
    -Caffeine: If you are sensitive, avoid. Otherwise, it does slightly boost metabolism and liberate some fatty acids for you to use as energy so have that cuppa (whatever your caffeine preference is) before your walk or workout.

Don't:

-Eat grains. Period. But since you found this place you're probably on top of that one.
    -Eat foods that make you binge. Even if they are "paleo or primal approved" foods, if you find yourself binging on them, maybe best to eliminate from the diet. Remember, calories still matter to a degree.
    -Sit for long periods. Even just standing boosts energy expenditure (metabolism) so get up and stretch and stand as much as you can (while still feeling comfortable).
    -Neglect your gut biome. Get your healthy fermented foods full of good probiotics because a healthy gut has been shown to increase weightloss (and mental health to boot)!
    -Neglect your stress levels and mental health. Stress is shown to decrease weightloss and increase fat gaining. Try yoga, tai chi, herbs and spices, or if it's really serious, talk to a therapist or join a support group.

Just my two cents.

+1 Excellent advice!

rcooke22 is offline Junior Member
    I can relate to the people on here with the belly fat. I weigh 168lbs and have a 30 inch waist (actually 28 at narrowest point) and I am 6'3" tall and 38 years old. I have lost some 50lbs in the last 12 months and whilst my belly has clearly shrunk it is so frustrating that I still have a really soft, slightly flabby belly and now the added delight of excess skin.

I'm not especially vain but I have worked so hard and seen so many positive changes that I just wish the ole genes would express themselves a bit quicker lol!!! I have started training lately and my arms and shoulders have toned really quickly and my legs too but still have soft tummy.

My only worry is that the slight increase in weight these last few weeks is muscle not more fat on my tummy.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    -Eat lots of fat. Not to the exclusion of adequate micronutrient levels, but plenty to keep you full and reduce cravings to snack.
    -Remember that sugar is sugar is sugar. Fruits may be a great choice on heavy workout days, but it's still sugar, so don't exclude them, just be aware.
    I strongly disagree with these two statements.

It isn't fat promoting satiety. It is protein. Consider three plates: one with chicken breast, one with sausage, one with bacon. Over the course of three different meals, you consume as much as you want of just one of these plates. You will, in probably every case, eat more sausage and bacon than you will chicken breast. Those foods are both far more fattening because it is the protein content making you full, while the higher fat-to-protein content of the bacon and sausage promotes more overeating. This is another reason why nuts and cheeses are so simple to overeat: high fat to protein and water ratio.

"Sugar is sugar" is a glaring oversimplification. That is like saying "fat is fat," which we know is untrue. Fat is more fattening than sugar. Fat is directly stored as body fat. Sugar is not. It must be converted into fat through a comparatively inefficient process (gluconeogenesis), and this will only be done if glycogen stores are maxed out, which isn't often. It is almost always dietary fat being stored as body fat - when you overeat cake, carbohydrate is given preference and burnt as fuel while the dietary fat is stored. Fruit and starch is not only less likely to be stored as body fat than dietary fat, but it is also more beneficial to thyroid function and raises the rate of oxidation of the mitochondria. Fat often slows mitochondrial oxidation and thyroid function because most modern fats are higher in unsaturates than saturates. I suppose if you get your fat solely from pastured beef and lamb, grassfed dairy and coconut you'd be in the clear, but most of us are eating pork, fish, poultry, nuts, olives and acovados as well, which counterbalances the equation and often swings it in the other direction. If the food is grain fed, it only intensifies this balance.

I believe nuts, olives, avocados and fatty meats are more fattening than fruit assuming a diet of equal high quality protein.

For optimal metabolic rate, I'd prefer a diet of lean ruminant meats, raw fruits, well cooked roots and tubers, make my cooking fats solely coconut oil and pastured ghee/butter, lots of iodized salt and supplementation with a thyroid supplement made of a glandular complex (dessicated thyroid and adrenal glands) and a kelp supplement. If you can take high vitamin butter oil and niacinamide you'd really be on the right track.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Matt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    For optimal metabolic rate, I'd prefer a diet of lean ruminant meats, raw fruits, well cooked roots and tubers, make my cooking fats solely coconut oil and pastured ghee/butter, lots of iodized salt and supplementation with a thyroid supplement made of a glandular complex (dessicated thyroid and adrenal glands) and a kelp supplement. If you can take high vitamin butter oil and niacinamide you'd really be on the right track.
    This is essentially my diet over the past 3-4 weeks. I have white rice from time to time, add sugar/maple syrup to coffee, and cheat on gum free ice-cream as a treat, but other than that it is as Choco suggests. Haven't added thyroid supplements though. Overall, I would say this is a great way to eat and I've been seeing nice results.

EDIT: I also drink skim milk for calcium.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast