Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nasal irrigation with baby shampoo page 3

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    but it's home made that i made myself, it wasn't supposed to turn on me like that
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    One time I didn't feel like bothering to mix in the saline/baking soda solution and just used plain water. THAT was painful, too. Never again. Hard water indeed.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Detergent is not the same as soap. And I'm talking a very weak solution. In the study they used a 1% solution of baby shampoo. I used much less than that of dishwashing liquid. It did not hurt and it was not squirted up with force.

I know you've all made up your mind and I have no intention of convincing you. I gave it some thought though: try this home remedy backed by scientific evidence or go to the doctor and get antibiotics. Remember, this wasn't just a cold or allergies, it was a cold that took a turn for the worse and turned into a sinus infection with multi-hued mucus and everything. I felt like death warmed over. I figured what did I have to lose? And since it worked, I think I came out ahead by a long shot.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I tried it yesterday using a neti pot with saline and a drop of J&J shampoo, it did not hurt. I'm not sure it made a difference but I'll try it again today, I have chronic sinus issues so I may have to use it more than once to see any change.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I'm just curious why baby shampoo and not just saline solution, as that is the only nasal irrigant I have ever heard of being used before.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

The purpose of the baby shampoo, like xylitol is to disrupt the biofilm making it inhospitable to bacteria. Saline simply flushes out the the sinus passages.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Ooo, okay. Sorry, that was probably already said, just couldn't make sense of it. I feel like salt (saline solution) would do that...? Isn't salt used as an anti-bacterial and wound cleanser?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    basically, and i'm just simplifying it so don't nobody get all scientifical on me, the detergent cuts through the film like dawn cuts through grease on a plate
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Yup just like bloodorchid said, the saline doesn't do that because it's basically the same as what is already in our sinus. That's why the saline feels soothing.

gwtx2 is offline Junior Member

Baby Shampoo/Sinus Irrigation

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had sinus issues on and off for a few years now and was a regular user of saline irrigation. Twice, I tried the baby shampoo and both times I caught a nasty cold. From what I read, the shampoo prevents a biofilm from forming but is not much help in removing an existing biofilm. However, I do think the shampoo significantly increases the removal of the protective barrier in the nasal passages; the barrier which is the first line defense against germs. As well, saline irrigation also can remove this barrier over time. I've stopped the saline irrigation since it really never helped me anyway. I'm just going to allow my nasal passages take care of themselves. They seem to have been able to do this for thousands of years before irrigation became popular.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123