Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Atlantean Agriculture? page 3

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    There are also maps showing Frodo's path though Middle Earth to Mordor.
    As well as a map of Bilbo's journey from the through Middle Earth, from the Shire to The Lonely Mountain.
    And an entire book written on the history of Middle Earth(etc., really the whole universe of Ea)...
    Laborious piece of writing that Silmarillion is too! It makes no sense that it was "written as back story" for the Hobbit... I mean the Hobbit is just a simple children's tale. It's a conspiracy I tell you... a cover-up!

With all the detailed knowledge that J. R. R. Tolkien obviously possessed about the races of elves, dwarves, halflings(and so forth), and their early interactions with humans, it seems that everyone else must have simply overlooked some really obvious stuff.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Are you saying you know better than Plato? How was the information Solon got from the Egyptian priesthood "folklore"?

There is evidence of ancient structures and pyramids all over the floor of the Atlantic ocean.
    Actually, Plato, in his writings:
    -uses Atlantis as a metaphor
    -claims he was told it existed by a Greek seafaring man who was told it existed by an Egyptian man, with no other sources mentioned
    -exaggerated beyond the original description to make his point
    -never claimed to believe in it himself
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Atlantis is recounted in every major culture around the world.
    Really? I've been studying ancient history and archaeology for years and I've never heard of any mention of Atlantis other than Plato's. Please show me where these others have been hiding.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    -claims he was told it existed by a Greek seafaring man who was told it existed by an Egyptian man, with no other sources mentioned
    Not! Well to do people in Acient Greece went to college in Egypt. A given temple/monestary specialized in a given subject; i.e. math, astronomy, medicine, philosophy, etc. Pathagoras, Solon, and Plato (etc.) all went to college in Egypt. Some went to University by attending (and graduating from) several different temples. Egypt was the center of learning.

Plato states that Solon told him he had learned from a Priest (obviously they went to different temples, or the Priest was dead by the time Plato attended) the information about Atlantis. The Priest read it from scrolls written long before his (the Priest's) lifetime. And Plato clearly believed the story of Atlantis, although he did not make any direct claim to the knowledge. How could he? He'd never been to Atlantis or talked to that Priest or read the scroll. He clearly believed that quoting his teacher was sufficient.

My own interest in Math (Number Theory) came from the Egyptian Pyramids. Today, 95% of the known Number Theory came from Ancient Egypt. In the last 3500 years we have added 5% to what they knew. Give that a little thought. Their knowledge was not 'folklore', their Number Theory is still correct and works today. We primarily use it for encryption and stock market prediction. In our immediate past and currently it's used quite a lot to verify and explain physics.

But, along with Kata, I don't know any other source of information on Alantis. Are you sure you're not talking about the Biblical 'flood story'? I don't think that can be confounded with the Atlantis story.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-21-2013 at 10:27 PM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Plato only mentions Atlantis in 2 dialogues, Timaeus and Critiaes. In those he describes it in detail as a real place based on the accounts he overheard as a child from adults at a dinner party. They discussed what Solon, an esteemed statesman, learned about it on his trip to Egypt.

He would not have written dialogues about it if he didn't believe it. He was in fact obsessed with Atlantis and in a later embodiment as Francis Bacon wrote about it again in a book called The New Atlantis:
    The New Atlantis: Francis Bacon: 9781603863360: Amazon.com: Books

Paleobird Guest
    Plato only mentions Atlantis in 2 dialogues, Timaeus and Critiaes. In those he describes it in detail as a real place based on the accounts he overheard as a child from adults at a dinner party. They discussed what Solon, an esteemed statesman, learned about it on his trip to Egypt.

He would not have written dialogues about it if he didn't believe it. He was in fact obsessed with Atlantis and in a later embodiment as Francis Bacon wrote about it again in a book called The New Atlantis:
    The New Atlantis: Francis Bacon: 9781603863360: Amazon.com: Books
    OK, Fierce, time to go back on your meds. You are telling us that Plato was reincarnated as Sir Francis Bacon?

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    What about linguistic commonalities between peoples ringing the atlantic with no historic connections? (Micmac native american and celtic, for example)?

and you (regional colloquialism idiomatic expression meaning, "fellows") never heard of Queztalcoatl? The proliferation of flood myths and lost civilizations (in the east in american indian myths, and west in european and african myths...)

Fiercehunter, read Charles Berlitz, The Mystery of Atlantis

Why is it hard for people to think that there could have been civilizations that did math and made sweet tools? "magical utopia" is a stupid embellishment from ignorant peoples, the way those africans worshipped that wooden food-drop plane idol.
    Last edited by Mr.Perfidy; 04-24-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    if humans have been around long enough to survive multiple cataclysmic global ecological upheavals, why do you doubters imagine that only this historical cycle had agriculture and domesticated animals and science and engineering? Ancient-ass peoples had geniuses also and the math that makes scientific achievement possible is literally just out and evident in nature manifest to the senses. Why couldn't people have been learning from that from the very beginning? Then forgetting when plagues wipe out their population centers with educated men (who encode their knowledge behind magical mytic bullshit in order to retain their power through secrecy [ala lawyers and doctors today])?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Paleobird Guest
    Oh boy! Mr Perfidy and Fierce are a match made in Atlantis. How sweet.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "The proliferation of flood myths and lost civilizations..."

Occam's razor dude.

It rained/flooded in places all over the earth and primitive peoples kept those major floods as oral histories which become myths/larger than life because they didn't remember/pass down things in anything even remotely approaching a literal or scientific sense.
    Also, peoples/communities of peoples arose and died out all over the world independently.

Seriously.
    There is no reason that they be connected.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast