Thread: Insulin sensitivity page

Jon_Jon is offline Junior Member

Insulin sensitivity

Primal Fuel
    Hi

I've been reading that by cutting out carbs for approx 2 weeks, whilst eating a diet rich in protein, healthy fats and green veggies, then re-introducing carbs, one can become less insulin resistant and become more insulin sensitive.

This is achieved by re-training the body to burn fat instead of carbs...so I've read!

Any views on this please?

Also, how would one know that they are now insulin sensitive and burning fats, not carbs?

My goal is to increase my bodyweight from 75kg to 80-85kg and bulk up slightly. Slightly concerened with loosing weight if switching to a low/zero carb diet.

Many thanks

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    The two week thing is more of a challenge. If you feel better with greater stable energy, better digestion, and overall sense of wellbeing during the test you may have some problems associated with carbohydrate metabolism. Low carb paleo with exercise is proven to be an EXCELLENT way to treat this issue.

So as you see in just two weeks this isn't so much about retraining as diagnosing an issue. Should you continue to eat this way for a longer period then yes your body will upregulate fat metabolism in lieu of carbs. There are many health reasons that people find this to be preferable. I'm a proponent of it myself.

Your insulin sensitivity can be determined in several ways. One is to look up "metabolic syndrome" and determine if you have any of the criteria necessary for that diagnosis. If not, you are likely insulin sensitive. Another way is glucose tolerance tests.

If you wanna gain weight reducing carbs may actually be counterproductive if your insulin sensitive and working out heavily. There are people that do low carb bulks. You may wanna google that if your really interested.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-17-2013 at 04:37 PM.

otzi Guest
    You are pretty closely describing the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet, but it is mostly used to lose weight--not gain.

The surest path to insulin resistance is to eat when not hungry, eat lots of processed sugars and refined carbs, and don't exercise.

If you are curious, the easiest way to find out is to buy a glucose monitor and 50-100 test strips. Track your fasting blood glucose for several weeks as well as 15 minute increments after eating a load of starch or sugar.

If your FBG is above 120 -- you are insulin resistant

If your post-prandial blood glucose goes over 200 and stays elevated about 160 for more than 2 hours and/or doesn't return to baseline within 3 hours--you are insulin resistant.

The way to cure insulin resistance: No refined sugar or carbs (flour), plenty of time between meals (no snacks), plenty of carbs from starchy plants in your diet. If you avoid carbs/starch completely to help yourself regain insulin sensitivity you are doing it wrong. Cycling carbs can be a good way, also, but should be used along with a well-regimented exercise/lifting program.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Should you continue to eat this way for a longer period then yes your body will upregulate fat metabolism in lieu of carbs. There are many health reasons that people find this to be preferable. I'm a proponent of it myself.
    Neckhammer, what percent of your calories comes from fat? What types of fat do you eat? How has your high fat low carb diet affected your serum lipids? Thanks.

Jon_Jon is offline Junior Member
    Thank you

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Neckhammer, what percent of your calories comes from fat? What types of fat do you eat? How has your high fat low carb diet affected your serum lipids? Thanks.
    50-60%. All the natural kinds that come in meats, eggs, nuts, butter, and coconut. I actually seek out the fatty bone in portions of meat to cook so I usually don't have do much in the way of adding fats. Dunno what my lipids are. I'm actually quite convinced it's a useless number so I don't plan on testing.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Neckhammer;1164944 I'm actually quite convinced it's a useless number so I don't plan on testing.[/QUOTE]

Even with a TC of 383? Sounds like your dietary fat choices precisely mirror mine.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That makes no sense that burning fat would make you insulin sensitive. Its the opposite actually. If you are looking to gain mass, low carb is absolutely a bad idea.