Thread: LEF Mag Apr 2013, Power Foods for the Brain, Dr. Neal Barnard page

Roryfd is offline Junior Member

LEF Mag Apr 2013, Power Foods for the Brain, Dr. Neal Barnard

Primal Fuel
    Anyone read the article by Dr. Neal Barnard, Power Foods for the Brain in the LEF Mag Apr 2013? He seems rather down on animal foods and fats. And just as I was starting to think Cholesterol levels were of minor importance, he slams them pretty hard too. His conclusions seem to be that animal products kill the brain.

Any thoughts on what he says?

iconoclast79 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roryfd View Post
    Anyone read the article by Dr. Neal Barnard, Power Foods for the Brain in the LEF Mag Apr 2013? He seems rather down on animal foods and fats. And just as I was starting to think Cholesterol levels were of minor importance, he slams them pretty hard too. His conclusions seem to be that animal products kill the brain.

Any thoughts on what he says?
    Pontificating that fat being bad for the brain is like saying minerals are bad for bones, or protein for muscles.

It's hard to go against conventional wisdom and a slew of corolative studies, but an ancestral diet is best for the general population, because the general population was selected for by its ancestral environment.
    Last edited by iconoclast79; 04-17-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Link....

Can't say if his argument is rational (doubt it) without the full text.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-17-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Maybe this link will shed some light on what Dr. Barnard says about Meat and even fish being bad for the brain.

Prevent Alzheimer's in 3 Steps, Pt 1 | The Dr. Oz Show

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roryfd View Post
    Maybe this link will shed some light on what Dr. Barnard says about Meat and even fish being bad for the brain.

Prevent Alzheimer's in 3 Steps, Pt 1 | The Dr. Oz Show
    Siwwy Wabbit, don't you know you're going to get pounded for citing a Dr. Oz 'expert?'
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

PrimalCon New York
    , the article was in LEF, I figured others read LEF Mag, them I respect, I tried to find the article in a link, and that was what I found with a quick look...seems the heme iron in meat is easily absorbed and then over loads the brain basesd on what he says, and he also says that many alzheimer's patients show a high level of cholesterol in their boold, which he partly attributes to eating saturated fat/meat. I know the fat in grass-fed meat is not the same as most other meat, but his information raises possible concerns, again based on it being in LEF.