Thread: The Thyroid Diet...what to eat and what not to eat? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

The Thyroid Diet...what to eat and what not to eat?

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so my thyroid at last check was 2-ish....2.1 or something like that. I haven't felt stellar since I gave birth probably due to the stress. I was taking Iodine, but then someone said that I was doing more harm than good if my adrenals were burnt out. I've been supplementing b-complex, and when I can remember, fermented cod liver oil. So basically, what other foods should I be eating to get my TSH back to 1, which is where I felt stellar at before pregnancy. What foods should I avoid? Are there any other supplements I should consider taking? Thanks!

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Typically you avoid goitrogens like uncooked broccoli and cauliflower (cooked is ok). Don't supplement with iodine but you don't need to avoid foods that have it naturally present. Get tested for Vitamin D and Ferritin levels- if you have thyroid issues you're probably low on one or the other or both. Avoid any foods you have an allergy- even low level- to. The whole foods approach of the Primal diet helps a lot- at least you are already avoiding processed foods and sugar.

When I first found a doctor to treat my thyroid, she had hoped we were early enough to turn around my thyroid disease and initially she gave me a supplement called Thytrophin PMG (I believe) which was designed to support the thyroid but not to replace it's function. Unfortunately for me that didn't work and I have to take replacement thyroid hormone daily, but you're catching this very early (when my TSH went over 2 is when my doctor said she would have begun treating me- unfortunately I had been seeing another doctor who wouldn't believe anything was wrong until my TSH went over 5) so something like Thytrophin PMG might work for you but you need to work with your doctor on that. You can purchase it OTC but really you shouldn't self-treat the thyroid gland.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Omni is offline Senior Member
    You want to get the full thyroid panel and see a historical progression before you start making assumptions on the thyroid.
    This includes:
    Free T4
    Free T3
    TSH
    Reverse T3

Goitrogens eaten in normal quantities are not an issue, but if you are juicing, then there is a good chance you may be going into OD land with them.

What else is out?
    How's your blood glucose and glucose clearance?
    Are you low carb?
    Most of the time if you correct the other stuff, thyroid corrects itself.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    TSH can fluctuate up to three full points in a given day. TSH is also a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone. I suggest getting actual thyroid hormones tested- freeT4, freeT3, thyroid antibodies.

Things that can help thyroid function:
    1. Selenium 200mcg/day
    2. Optimal Vitamin D
    3. Optimal ferritin
    4. Adequate calories and carbs.. Some people need at least 50 grams of carbs/day for good T4 to T3 conversion.
    5. Not over exercising.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Melissa Joulwan has had thyroid issues, so probably most receipes on her blog are OK for you: theclothesmakethegirl

Matt is offline Member
    Sugar, Salt, Calcium, and Saturated Fat. I mostly hit these using fruits/OJ, salt, dairy in form of milk, cheese, and ice-cream (gum-free) and cocnut oil.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sugar, Salt, Calcium, and Saturated Fat. I mostly hit these using fruits/OJ, salt, dairy in form of milk, cheese, and ice-cream (gum-free) and cocnut oil.
    Do we have another Sugar Ray Peat in the house?

OP, this might be helpful to you - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/116...&tag=rapefo-20

It's a book about the Thyroid which comes highly recommended.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-18-2013 at 06:52 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Matt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Do we have another Sugar Ray Peat in the house?

OP, this might be helpful to you - The Thyroid: Thomas Hodge McGavack, James M. Winfield, Walter L. Mersheimer: 9781163825129: Amazon.com: Books

It's a book about the Thyroid which comes highly recommended.
    Haha sort of. I wouldn't say I practice exactly as many of the "peatarians", but I definately have been noticing the benefits of having more sugar, salt, sat fat and calcium in my diet. I think most primal people hit the majority of this anyways, with the exception of maybe sugar depending on where they fall on the "carb curve".

When I first started following primal, I was of the VLC followers. Slowly over the past 6 months I have been moving to the high-carb side. All this is very interesting to me, and am actually enjoying trying out all these ideas. At this point I am up to +250g of carb per day and still losing weight. Feel great too. I truly believe higher carb is the way for me.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I truly believe higher carb is the way for me.
    You just made me really happy with this statement! (Sorry for the mini thread hijack)
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).