Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotic-resistant super-bacteria found in >50% of supermarket meats page

2ndChance is offline Senior Member

Antibiotic-resistant super-bacteria found in >50% of supermarket meats

Shop Now
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/bu...tml?ref=health

For those here who cling to the idea that CAFO meat is nutritionally valuable rather than extremely dangerous... more and more reason to ensure you buy organic/grass-fed meats, even if it means you have to buy less!

Also.. "Some 87 percent of the meat the researchers collected contained either normal or antibiotic-resistant enterococcus, suggesting that most of the meat came in contact with fecal material at some point."
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 04-17-2013 at 09:14 AM.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, most of the antibiotics used in the world are for the meat industry.

When I was at the doctor last week, he basically said that in 10 years none of the anti-biotics will work, the pharma companies have given up trying to make news ones, and we will all start dying from bacterial infections again.

that's a cheery thought...

Yeah, most of the antibiotics used in the world are for the meat industry.

When I was at the doctor last week, he basically said that in 10 years none of the anti-biotics will work, the pharma companies have given up trying to make news ones, and we will all start dying from bacterial infections again.

that's a cheery thought...

sorry for the duplicate post, I'm not sure what's going on with my computer!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for posting this. Any time I start wondering if I'm just pissing my money down the drain for grass fed/pastured, I'll re-read this article. Sometimes it's tough being a penny pincher.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i'm pretty resistant to bacterial infections

i wonder if i eat these, would it boost my immune system even more? would science want to use me as a guinea pig? would i have to hide in the woods with a small community and a lone scientist working feverishly to duplicate whatever it is i have going on?

or should i just save up a few years and raise my own meat?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

GKL
    GKL is offline Member
    I am SO thankful that I can raise my own grassfed beef and pastured eggs for my family and friends! This data is another punctuation mark of what a blessing that is!

I'd encourage all of you to find local farmers to support if you haven't!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    People get sick from the bacteria in spinach, too. It's not a meat problem. It's a mass-produced food problem.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Very scary report. From now on I'm buying my GF meat from a farm that has stable herds (no imported additional animals from outside sources).

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    All the bacteria die during cooking. Notice the article doesn't state that antibiotics are found in the meat, rather antibiotic resistant bacteria. It's really not that surprising. The same thing is found in health care facilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast