Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antibiotic-resistant super-bacteria found in >50% of supermarket meats page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Tis the soil not the seed.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle46N View Post
    All the bacteria die during cooking. Notice the article doesn't state that antibiotics are found in the meat, rather antibiotic resistant bacteria. It's really not that surprising. The same thing is found in health care facilities.
    I don't find that comforting. Its an overuse of antibiotics on all levels to be sure. And I eat my steak very rare.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Labels can get confusing. I see a lot of beef that indicates a single ranch with a name and address, no hormones, no antibiotics, but not certified organic or grass-finished either. The availability and prices change so rapidly too, hard to set a personal policy.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I don't find that comforting. Its an overuse of antibiotics on all levels to be sure. And I eat my steak very rare.
    As long as you sear the outsides, you are fine. The bacteria is pretty much never found on the inside of a steak.

Since I sear my steaks and cook my ground beef brown, I'm not really worried about bacteria. I'm much more worried about bacteria on my vegetables, since I often eat those raw. I love bagged spinach, it's so quick and easy...yet it's one of the most likely to have serious bacteria on it.

However, I still buy high quality beef, usually grass fed and antibiotic free. But not for fear of bacteria, for other health reasons.

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    I think the article mentioned all the samples were from ground meat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12