Thread: Protein Shakes page

YorkshireMatt is offline Junior Member

Protein Shakes

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi All,

I'm new to the whole Primal thing (My book arrives tomorrow!) but looking forward to getting started!

I had a few questions which I was hoping some of you gym goers can help me with:

High quality whey protein, can I still take this? I work in an office so struggle to get regular breaks and the food on offer is typical english garbage, i.e sausage rolls, mayo laden sandwiches etc. I have 4 a day which is equivalent to just 20g of carbs and 100g of protein...

Creatine? I'm guessing this is fine considering it is a natural substance found in meat?

ZMA? Zinc magnesium and vit B6....2 caps before I got to bed, I assume that this is ok as it is natural again?

Tribulus? Basically a plant extract....I'm hoping this is ok too?

I'm currently a "no veg" guy, I hate the stuff, but have just bought a vitamix and I'm hoping green smoothies will help me as it tends to be the texture I don't seem to like.

Looking forward to sharing recipes with you guys!

Matt

peppermint is offline Member
    I've never been a fan of shakes, some people here have them, I prefer food-food, but what has been your experience with Tribulus? I just recently heard of it and was curious about whether it actually did anything. Do you really notice a difference with it?

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Not everyone likes the idea of protein shakes. I prefer to eat real, whole foods whenever I can, but during the week both my husband and I have super tight schedules and have protein shakes for breakfast.

Mine are made up of coconut milk, water, protein powder, spinach, 1/2 banana (or about 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato) and some cinnamon. Occasionally I'll add some raw cacao powder or a tbsp of raw almond butter. I drink that before 7am and it keeps me going until lunch with no problem. Hasn't caused me any issues with losing weight or leaning out, either.

ETA: I just reread your post and 4 protein shakes a day does seem a bit much. Can you pack anything to eat during the day? Meat and cheese rollups? Leftovers? Veggies and guacamole? I'm all for protein shakes, but you need to get some real foods in you, too.
    Last edited by jennf; 04-17-2013 at 07:18 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You need to start packing meals to take to work with you. Real food, not food substitutes.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    I like the idea of shakes from time to time, especially if they have leafy greens in them to help get more veggies in.

The issue is that "high quality protein" is poorly defined. Are you sure you're getting grass fed, grass finished non-denatured whey that hasn't been cut with a bunch of chemicals?

That's the question you need to ask yourself.

YorkshireMatt is offline Junior Member
    peppermint - Ive only been tribulus for about 4 days, I started taking these to help with testosterone production for the gym, I'm 29 so I don't necessarily have an issue with producing it, but when it comes to lifting and strength, the more the better. I'll get back to you in a week or so and let you know, I've started watching what I eat more so its hard to pin the benefits down on overall wellbeing but I can convert the gym performance based on tribulus, I will let you know.

Jennf, great idea re the shake, I just use the raw powder and mix with water, initially more for the amino acid intake for muscle recovery, but I could easily expand on that and class it as a meal, I'll give it a try.

Jennf & Katherine - I'm extremely new to this whole pre-prep malarky and have been living off pre prepared meals from the supermarket and/or steak & chicken breast, all dairy and a lot of rice dishes. To be fair, the meals you can get over here in England from the supermarket are pretty decent, they do cater for people who like fresh ingredients, and I fell into the trap of daily shopping and convenience. I will definitely be trying to prepare more for my days at work, unfortunately there isn't a fridge so that limits me somewhat. Also, I eat a lot, I would guess at least 3000 cals a day no sweat, and about 250-300g of protein, I weigh 198 lbs and 6ft 1 and gym 5 times a week lifting quite heavy. I do have splodges of fat in the wrong places but I have done years of smoking, heavy drinking, recreational drugs, pizza/burgers/kebabs etc etc so it's to be expected, it's only been the last year or two when I've changed my habbits.

Rebooted body - I'm pretty sure that isn't the case with the protein, I guess any mass produced protein at a relatively affordable price (50) isn't going to be "all natural", so maybe once my preperation habbits have changed I'll look at cutting those down....

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YorkshireMatt View Post
    I will definitely be trying to prepare more for my days at work, unfortunately there isn't a fridge so that limits me somewhat.
    Get an insulated bag that you can put coolant blocks in. You can boil eggs a dozen at a time, pre-cook meat or vegetables and pack them in little boxes. This is as simple as you want it to be.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Matt,

You're going to hear a lot of lecturing about eating "real food" and "whole food" and "unprocessed food" from the holier-than-thou purists.

My take: If you're just starting out Primal, you need to be pretty strict. I would avoid the shakes if you can.
    After a couple months, you should be Primal with a better metabolism. At that point, IMO whey powder works as a "20%" food.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.