Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discrepancy in what makes me feel good and what I like to eat page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Discrepancy in what makes me feel good and what I like to eat

Shop Now
    I am wondering if anyone feels this way, and why perhaps it can be difficult to maintain a low carb, high animal protein diet.
    When I eat low carb, (little/no fruit, dairy, nuts, just veg and meat and eggs), after a few days, the thought of animal products make me ill, and the taste is totally unappealing. However, when I do eat this way, I feel great- good digestion, good sleep, good energy, good mood etc.

What I WANT to eat looks more like- lots of fruit, nut butters, and rice, oats (duck for cover). I am scared to eat this way, as it is not optimal for health and don't carbs make us fat???? (I'm trying to lean out some, hence the attempts at LC)

So, anyway, wondering if anyone else feels this way and how you handle it. Where is the line between enjoying our food and eating what we "should"?

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps your body is trying to tell you that it is one of those that needs more carbs in it on a regular basis. Possibly if you increased you carbs a little you wouldn't want to stick your head in a vat of oats

I eat VLC and do very well on it without any of the things you describe, but I don't plan on eating this way forever and I keep a close eye on how I feel.

I come from having a history of binge/comfort eating and dieting for most of my adult life - I suspect much of it caused by caring more about what I "should" do/eat/be etc than what I actually wanted. Our bodies are very clever - once we learn to tune into them they'll tell you what they want.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    What I WANT to eat looks more like- lots of fruit, nut butters, and rice, oats (duck for cover).
    Then eat them.

don't carbs make us fat
    no.

I usually have these problems when I eat too much lean protein. If I switch to more fatty meat (or eggs, avocado, high fat dairy), it is OK.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    I am wondering if anyone feels this way, and why perhaps it can be difficult to maintain a low carb, high animal protein diet.
    When I eat low carb, (little/no fruit, dairy, nuts, just veg and meat and eggs), after a few days, the thought of animal products make me ill, and the taste is totally unappealing. However, when I do eat this way, I feel great- good digestion, good sleep, good energy, good mood etc.

What I WANT to eat looks more like- lots of fruit, nut butters, and rice, oats (duck for cover). I am scared to eat this way, as it is not optimal for health and don't carbs make us fat???? (I'm trying to lean out some, hence the attempts at LC)

So, anyway, wondering if anyone else feels this way and how you handle it. Where is the line between enjoying our food and eating what we "should"?
    It's tough to give you any suggestions without knowing what your goals are, how long you've tried to be low carb, how you define low carb, and so on. Different strategies work for different people at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    It's tough to give you any suggestions without knowing what your goals are, how long you've tried to be low carb, how you define low carb, and so on. Different strategies work for different people at different times.
    Good questions. My goals are to drop probably 10lbs of fat. I have eaten a lower carb diet, probably under 150g/day for years, outside of being pregnant. I've spent up to a couple of months at a time under 30g/day. I define low carb as under 20-30g/day, as I seem to only enter ketosis at that level.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Good questions. My goals are to drop probably 10lbs of fat. I have eaten a lower carb diet, probably under 150g/day for years, outside of being pregnant. I've spent up to a couple of months at a time under 30g/day. I define low carb as under 20-30g/day, as I seem to only enter ketosis at that level.
    Many women don't tolerate VLC (under 50g of carbs a day) as well as men do. You may want to experiment with the 50-100 range. Eat the veggies first, then the protein.

Did you have any previous sugar addiction or dependency by any chance?

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    it is not optimal for health and don't carbs make us fat
    1. Fruits are good for you. They provide great nutrients and vitamins. Whoever said fruit was bad for you should be horsewhipped.
    2. Carbs don't make you fat. Too many carbs may make you fat. The SAD and CW replaces too many nutrient dense foods with less nutrient dense carbs. When you see a fat person it is highly unlikely they go that way by eating 1/2 cup of rice with their chicken a couple times a week, it's because they ate a 300 calorie bun around their 200 calorie burger patty and had a 500 calorie side of fried potatoes. Or you see the CW dieter that eats 1200 calories a day of carbs and is malnourished so their body hangs onto fat.
    3. If you are "leaning out" beyond where our bodies want to be, you may very well have to eat a diet you do not enjoy. Ironically, the stress some people end up going through to lose that last amount of body fat is not optimal for health either.

With 10 lbs to lose, you may be at that threshold where you can be unhappy with what you eat and drop the fat, or enjoy your food and maintain. Your other option is patience and a willingness to experiment a bit.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarfreeLife View Post
    I usually have these problems when I eat too much lean protein. If I switch to more fatty meat (or eggs, avocado, high fat dairy), it is OK.
    I agree. Primal is not a high protein diet. You may be forcing yourself to eat more protein than you need, which would cause you to go through a period of not wanting much of it. Listen to your body.

Whoever said fruit was bad for you should be horsewhipped.
    That would be my mother. LOL.

All good stuff, thanks for responses, I'm glad I posted this. I think I need to get over my fear of carbs making me gain weight, or preventing loss hmm? And have good meat alternatives on hand when meat isn't cutting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast