Thread: does AMOUNT of calories affect ketosis page

egyption grok is offline Senior Member

Red face does AMOUNT of calories affect ketosis

Shop Now
    like say im averaging at about 1800 calories if i go up to 3000 calories (mainly from fat) will it affect ketosis(take me out of ketosis)

emmie is online now Senior Member
    No, it's raising carbs that take you out of ketosis, not calories.

However, if you're trying to lose weight, you need a caloric deficit--in or out of ketosis. Being in ketosis is no guarantee of weight loss.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Jeez you have a stupid obsession with ketosis. If you plan to eat a massive surplus, weight loss surely isn't your goal, so why are you so obsessed?
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Omni is offline Senior Member
    To maintain Ketosis you need less than 50g of carbohydrate and no excess protein, overall calories are irrelevant.

peppermint is offline Member
    They are correct, however, IMO, eating more on occasion will make you feel energized and gives a metabolism boost that will end up "paying" for itself. I wouldn't eat 8,000 calories then watch TV for 6 hours or something though.

egyption grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
    They are correct, however, IMO, eating more on occasion will make you feel energized and gives a metabolism boost that will end up "paying" for itself. I wouldn't eat 8,000 calories then watch TV for 6 hours or something though.
    yes there is no surplus its just bec i average1800 cal , active days i tend to go high on calories upto 2600 cal and some days where im nt that active i could eat 1000 cal and on my 36 hours fasts(2days only) there is a day with zero calories so yes i agree that it gives a metabolism boost

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post

However, if you're trying to lose weight, you need a caloric deficit--in or out of ketosis. Being in ketosis is no guarantee of weight loss.
    Protein can effect ketosis as well. It is very easy to eat too much protein which might then get turned to glucose via gluconeogenesis and halt ketosis.

A good guidline is 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN bodymass (nobody has 0% bodyfat).

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post

Protein can effect ketosis as well. It is very easy to eat too much protein which might then get turned to glucose via gluconeogenesis and halt ketosis.

A good guidline is 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN bodymass (nobody has 0% bodyfat).