Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IF fasting ready set go!

Hybrid View

IF fasting ready set go!

New to this... sorry for those who see repeat threads...

I've read thread on IF and still have some questions...

1. So, you just pick one type of IF... one includes a 4-7 hour window of eating...
    is that for 2 meals? 1 meal? can that window be at anytime you want? do you have to stick to specific time everyday?

2. I'm a little scared to do IF because when I go back to eating normal will I just gain back the weight I lost? like your body doesn't go into starvation mode and just HOLD everything in?? Anyone have experience good or bad with that?

3. how long do you do it for? every other day for 2 weeks? 5 days straight? how long?

4. what do you like to all eat on it? just regular primal eating right?

I'm want to try this because I'm not losing weight. I've been on Primal since January.. thought I'd give it a shot
    why not!?
    Last edited by Yoga11; 04-16-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    New to this... sorry for those who see repeat threads...

I've read thread on IF and still have some questions...

1. So, you just pick one type of IF... one includes a 4-7 hour window of eating...
    is that for 2 meals? 1 meal? can that window be at anytime you want? do you have to stick to specific time everyday?
    Most people eat at dinner, and then either don't eat again, or just skip lunch or breakfast.

2. I'm a little scared to do IF because when I go back to eating normal will I just gain back the weight I lost? like your body doesn't go into starvation mode and just HOLD everything in?? Anyone have experience good or bad with that?
    The trick is to have one day each week where you FEAST.

3. how long do you do it for? every other day for 2 weeks? 5 days straight? how long?
    For as long as you want to.

4. what do you like to all eat on it? just regular primal eating right?
    Yep. When I was eating just a single meal, I used to be adding dessert regularly since otherwise I wasn't getting enough calories.

I'm want to try this because I'm not losing weight. I've been on Primal since January.. thought I'd give it a shot
    why not!?
    Why not indeed? Good luck.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post

The trick is to have one day each week where you FEAST.

Is the Feasting the day of IF? is that a different thing?

How long is too long on IF?
    it wont cause me to gain when i go back to regular eating?

last question: Is it better to do 4 days of the week or just everyday till I am where I want to be?
    Last edited by Yoga11; 04-17-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Is the Feasting the day of IF? is that a different thing?
    The way I feast is by adding in the skipped meal and also having dessert as well on top. So no, I'm not IF'ing on that day.

How long is too long on IF?
    it wont cause me to gain when i go back to regular eating?
    Why would you go back? I find it way more convenient to not have to plan a lunch, and I'm secretly amused when my co-workers are unable to power through a knotty problem simply because they have to down tools and have lunch in the middle of the day.

last question: Is it better to do 4 days of the week or just everyday till I am where I want to be?
    I found IF on weekdays to work for me.

Of course, it depends on what you mean by IF. When I was eating just one mega-meal in the evenings, I suffered from poor circulation and mild depression (as well as struggling to physically eat enough food). So I now eat breakfast and dinner both.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 04-17-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    When I was eating just one mega-meal in the evenings, I suffered from poor circulation and mild depression (as well as struggling to physically eat enough food). So I now eat breakfast and dinner both.
    Wow, it's quite an effect you're describing here! One meal a day seems to be ideal for me and my wife. We literally binge at the end of a weekly 2 days fast (whole Monday and most of Tuesday without food), and increase caloric intake during week-ends due to social activities. Overall, no fatigue, good energy and mood. We are usually very low carb but throw in a carb refeed on very active days : sushis, brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, you-name-it, with lean meats or fish - but our bodies have already reached a rather lean state after a 6 months long primal detox - not sure I would do this from the start (end of SAD dieting).

I lost around 40 lbs on ADF, a form of IF, and now maintain effortlessley with a more laid back variation, the 5:2 plan. I did'nt do eating windows with it, instead I IF'd by days (every other day restricted calories and the other days ate normally). IF is amazing

My understanding is that there is no reduction in metabolic rate (starvation mode) associated with fasting until about 72 hours in to a fast and that even that goes away as soon as eating resumes.

I used IF 3 days a week or so for a long time and loved it. But at some point it suddenly became very, very difficult to do and I had to give it up. I have no idea why. I'm considering starting it up again. Perhaps it's because I never did a "feast" day as suggested above.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Sorry to high-jack your thread, Yoga, but I have a question re: IFing;

For a while (couple of weeks) now I've only been eating 2 meals a day just because I am not hungry for dinner. Does this constitute as IF, or is this my new way of eating (2 meals) and if I wanted to IF would I have to work around those 2 meals and not the 'usual' 3.

I am not sure if I've explained myself well there!!

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post

For a while (couple of weeks) now I've only been eating 2 meals a day just because I am not hungry for dinner. Does this constitute as IF, or is this my new way of eating (2 meals) and if I wanted to IF would I have to work around those 2 meals and not the 'usual' 3.

It's definitely an IF of some sort. Sounds like you're hitting the "Leangains" 16/8 approach (16 hour fast and two meals eating witching eight hours or so)?

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post

I do something similar, but I miss breakfast rather than dinner....seems to work for me.