Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IF fasting ready set go! page

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member

IF fasting ready set go!

Shop Now
    New to this... sorry for those who see repeat threads...

I've read thread on IF and still have some questions...

1. So, you just pick one type of IF... one includes a 4-7 hour window of eating...
    is that for 2 meals? 1 meal? can that window be at anytime you want? do you have to stick to specific time everyday?

2. I'm a little scared to do IF because when I go back to eating normal will I just gain back the weight I lost? like your body doesn't go into starvation mode and just HOLD everything in?? Anyone have experience good or bad with that?

3. how long do you do it for? every other day for 2 weeks? 5 days straight? how long?

4. what do you like to all eat on it? just regular primal eating right?

I'm want to try this because I'm not losing weight. I've been on Primal since January.. thought I'd give it a shot
    why not!?
    Last edited by Yoga11; 04-16-2013 at 09:53 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    New to this... sorry for those who see repeat threads...

I've read thread on IF and still have some questions...

1. So, you just pick one type of IF... one includes a 4-7 hour window of eating...
    is that for 2 meals? 1 meal? can that window be at anytime you want? do you have to stick to specific time everyday?
    Most people eat at dinner, and then either don't eat again, or just skip lunch or breakfast.

2. I'm a little scared to do IF because when I go back to eating normal will I just gain back the weight I lost? like your body doesn't go into starvation mode and just HOLD everything in?? Anyone have experience good or bad with that?
    The trick is to have one day each week where you FEAST.

3. how long do you do it for? every other day for 2 weeks? 5 days straight? how long?
    For as long as you want to.

4. what do you like to all eat on it? just regular primal eating right?
    Yep. When I was eating just a single meal, I used to be adding dessert regularly since otherwise I wasn't getting enough calories.

I'm want to try this because I'm not losing weight. I've been on Primal since January.. thought I'd give it a shot
    why not!?
    Why not indeed? Good luck.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jammies is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that there is no reduction in metabolic rate (starvation mode) associated with fasting until about 72 hours in to a fast and that even that goes away as soon as eating resumes.

I used IF 3 days a week or so for a long time and loved it. But at some point it suddenly became very, very difficult to do and I had to give it up. I have no idea why. I'm considering starting it up again. Perhaps it's because I never did a "feast" day as suggested above.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to high-jack your thread, Yoga, but I have a question re: IFing;

For a while (couple of weeks) now I've only been eating 2 meals a day just because I am not hungry for dinner. Does this constitute as IF, or is this my new way of eating (2 meals) and if I wanted to IF would I have to work around those 2 meals and not the 'usual' 3.

I am not sure if I've explained myself well there!!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post

For a while (couple of weeks) now I've only been eating 2 meals a day just because I am not hungry for dinner. Does this constitute as IF, or is this my new way of eating (2 meals) and if I wanted to IF would I have to work around those 2 meals and not the 'usual' 3.

It's definitely an IF of some sort. Sounds like you're hitting the "Leangains" 16/8 approach (16 hour fast and two meals eating witching eight hours or so)?

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Go ahead and give it a go! IFing then moving into ADF really helped me and is still helping me lose weight. Primal is awesome, but there is something about mixing primal and IF that just makes your body feel awesome.

My advice is, if you're going to do it, stick with it for a month. At the end of a month, you'll know if it's something you want to continue doing, or hate it so much that you'll never do it again. I don't believe you'll regain anything- it's not a crash diet.

Try the basic 16/8. 16 hour fast 8 hour eating window. Try it for a week. Like it? Keep going, every day. Maybe your 8 hour window is from 6a-2p or maybe it's noon to 8pm. It doesn't matter. I started my fasting by having the greatest amount of time being when I was asleep. Easy transition.

Eat your normal primal cuisine and enjoy.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post

I do something similar, but I miss breakfast rather than dinner....seems to work for me.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I do one meal a day, around 6pm. I eat primal until I am full.
    Once a week, I skip a dinner (2 days fast) to run on extra body fat. The meal breaking this fast is quite substantial
    I do it not for weight loss but for body composition. I want to be as lean as possible. Of course, you need to move your a..ss during the fasted state

Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    My advice is, if you're going to do it, stick with it for a month. At the end of a month, you'll know if it's something you want to continue doing, or hate it so much that you'll never do it again. I don't believe you'll regain anything- it's not a crash diet.

Try the basic 16/8. 16 hour fast 8 hour eating window. Try it for a week. Like it? Keep going, every day. Maybe your 8 hour window is from 6a-2p or maybe it's noon to 8pm. It doesn't matter. I started my fasting by having the greatest amount of time being when I was asleep. Easy transition.

Eat your normal primal cuisine and enjoy.
    So, do you eat 2 meals in the 8 hour window? or just an 8 hour period for 1 meal??

Someone said "feasting" thats the 8 hour window? or is that something else??

My body wont go into starvation mode???

Thank you everyone for your post.. this is REALLY helping me

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post

The trick is to have one day each week where you FEAST.

Is the Feasting the day of IF? is that a different thing?

How long is too long on IF?
    it wont cause me to gain when i go back to regular eating?

last question: Is it better to do 4 days of the week or just everyday till I am where I want to be?
    Last edited by Yoga11; 04-17-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast