Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IF fasting ready set go! page 2

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Hi Yoga

I just started an IF yesterday after some said I should try, as I've stalled in my weight loss.

Your thread, but if you want to make it into a "support" sort of deal, I'm up for it.

Yesterday I did not eat for 19 hours and had a 5 hour eat window. Made it thru the day ok, around 3 p.m. wanted to eat but toughed it out.
    I'm not sure what I'm doing. I was told I don't eat enough cals in a day. To get to my input number (set by MFP to lose 2 lbs/week) I had to eat twice in the 5 hours but I was forcing myself. Someone told me to give it time and my body will adjust to this way of eating.

GL

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Hi Yoga

I just started an IF yesterday after some said I should try, as I've stalled in my weight loss.

Your thread, but if you want to make it into a "support" sort of deal, I'm up for it.

Yesterday I did not eat for 19 hours and had a 5 hour eat window. Made it thru the day ok, around 3 p.m. wanted to eat but toughed it out.
    I'm not sure what I'm doing. I was told I don't eat enough cals in a day. To get to my input number (set by MFP to lose 2 lbs/week) I had to eat twice in the 5 hours but I was forcing myself. Someone told me to give it time and my body will adjust to this way of eating.

GL
    So what did you eat in your 5 hour period? I'd love to make this into a "support" deal!
    I'm starting today but was unsure about about how many calories to eat during those 4-6 hour period. Like a whole days worth?? I've looked up other threads but I can't find the answer to this.

what are your stats?

i'm 5'4'' 164.5 I eat 1500 calories a day (says I should lose 1 pound a week), BUT it's not working, so I wanted to try IFing

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of different ways to do intermittent fasting. Some people skip breakfast. Some people eat only during an eating window each day according to the number of hours they have decided to eat, be it 8 hours, 6 hours, 5 hours, 4 hours, or just one meal. Some people eat a light day followed by a heavy day. Some would combine the window of eating with a daily calorie deficit, then have a feast a week. A lot of us are doing alternate day fasting right now where we eat a very light day followed by a normal day. There is no one right way to do it. Whatever you do, keep reading and give it a couple of weeks before you start to make changes.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There are a lot of different ways to do intermittent fasting. Some people skip breakfast. Some people eat only during an eating window each day according to the number of hours they have decided to eat, be it 8 hours, 6 hours, 5 hours, 4 hours, or just one meal. Some people eat a light day followed by a heavy day. Some would combine the window of eating with a daily calorie deficit, then have a feast a week. A lot of us are doing alternate day fasting right now where we eat a very light day followed by a normal day. There is no one right way to do it. Whatever you do, keep reading and give it a couple of weeks before you start to make changes.
    What is a FEAST day?

Do I use ALL my 1500 calories in my window? does the feast day mean I go beyond 1500 calories?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    What is a FEAST day?

Do I use ALL my 1500 calories in my window? does the feast day mean I go beyond 1500 calories?
    A feast day is a day when you gorge yourself. But that is subjective. If you aren't used to eating more than 1200 calories, planning to eat 1500 may feel like a feast. If you eat 800 calories a day for 3 days and then eat 2500 calories in a day, that would be another way to set it up.

Where did you get your 1500 calorie window from? But in general, I would say set it up then stay with it for 2 weeks before making any substantial changes.

You are in control. Perhaps you are not ready yet and need to do a few more days of research.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    A feast day is a day when you gorge yourself. But that is subjective. If you aren't used to eating more than 1200 calories, planning to eat 1500 may feel like a feast. If you eat 800 calories a day for 3 days and then eat 2500 calories in a day, that would be another way to set it up.

Where did you get your 1500 calorie window from? But in general, I would say set it up then stay with it for 2 weeks before making any substantial changes.

You are in control. Perhaps you are not ready yet and need to do a few more days of research.

I just eat 1500 calories a day in general (to lose weight - but its not working anyways) so, i don't know why I stay at 1500.

I assumed reading all these IF thread that do "window of hours" eating that it's the same calories I eat but in a certain amount of time... I looked up IF and it doesn't talk about how many calories.

I guess another way of IF is up and down days (I just learned this). not sure which to do. but 425 down days and 2100 up days sounds crazy!! I might not be ready for that one, but I could do windows of eating hours. 11-4 I just have no idea what calories I should be basing it on... lol
    ahhh so many things say different things.

eKathrine, thank you for your support

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the Up/Down day calculation has me at 1981 calories on an up day and 550 on a down day, which would average to slightly over 1200 cal per day. In reality I'm averaing 650 on a down day and 1500 on an up day, so my average overall is only 1050 per day. It's working okay for now since I'm an old lady, who is only 5'4" and not very active at the moment.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    I just eat 1500 calories a day in general (to lose weight - but its not working anyways) so, i don't know why I stay at 1500.

I assumed reading all these IF thread that do "window of hours" eating that it's the same calories I eat but in a certain amount of time... I looked up IF and it doesn't talk about how many calories.

I guess another way of IF is up and down days (I just learned this). not sure which to do. but 425 down days and 2100 up days sounds crazy!! I might not be ready for that one, but I could do windows of eating hours. 11-4 I just have no idea what calories I should be basing it on... lol
    ahhh so many things say different things.

eKathrine, thank you for your support
    I was doing a 19/5 window of eating before I started alternate day fasting. I still skip breakfast. I eat two full meals on my up days and try to delay eating until the afternoon on down days. The two systems are not incompatible.

I think you should go with the 425/2100 split for at least a week before you decide you need to make changes. It's just a week, and you're in this for life.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yoga11 I think you are overthinking this.

Just skip a meal now and then. Or just have a day where you don't eat all day until dinner or you don't eat all day after breakfast. Or just try pushing your breakfast an hour forward every day until you are eating all your day's meals between 2pm and 7pm or something like that. Then eat until you are satisfied. If it takes 1500 calories to be satisfied, then that's what it takes. If it takes only 700, fine. It doesn't have to be regimented or planned out or anything unless having a schedule is helpful to you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yoga11 I think you are overthinking this.

Just skip a meal now and then. Or just have a day where you don't eat all day until dinner or you don't eat all day after breakfast. Or just try pushing your breakfast an hour forward every day until you are eating all your day's meals between 2pm and 7pm or something like that. Then eat until you are satisfied. If it takes 1500 calories to be satisfied, then that's what it takes. If it takes only 700, fine. It doesn't have to be regimented or planned out or anything unless having a schedule is helpful to you.

I think you're right. But it looks like quite a few are making this way more complicated than what it needs to be. I'm a regular IF'er and just skip a morning breakfast. I just feel better when I'm If'ing.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast