Thread: Is my routine good for my goals? page

atmetal is offline Senior Member

Is my routine good for my goals?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Unless someone requests it, I'm not going to describe every detail of my routine. For now, I'll generalize. My goal for a while has been fat loss. Second to that is gaining strength. I am following a LeanGains style of eating with the major difference being that I eat a -30%/+10% calorie cycle because I read that it its better for people with more fat to loose than the typical lean person following LeanGains. Taking inspiration from StrongLifts, I incorporate those compound movements into the beginning of my workouts for the sake of maintaining (and hopefully growing) my muscle. Afterwards, I do a few assistance exercises. Finally, some high rep machine work to effectively deplete muscle glycogen in preparation for the high carb meal to come. My three day/week routine has day one focusing on legs, day two focusing on pushing muscles, and day three focusing on pulling muscles. My heavy compound lifts consists of 3 sets each reverse pyramid style in the strength range. My assistance exercises are only 2 sets each in the hypertrophy range. My high rep work is 3 sets per exercise in the 15-20 rep range with minimal rest. Of this sort, I make sure to hit at least 4 different machines, but all still focusing on the muscle group of that day.

A general critique would be nice, but there are specific things I'd like to know. Am I doing enough volume? Is it a good choice to put the assistance work in the hypertrophy range? Is there anything I should add or remove to make the workout more effective?

Oh, and a very specific question: On my pull day I start with deadlifts, which I follow with chinups. I've noticed that as my dealt numbers keep going up, I attain less and less reps on chins. Not sure, but it's probably fatigue from the deadlifts. What can I do about this?
    Last edited by atmetal; 04-16-2013 at 07:28 PM.