Thread: Head Cheese is my new favorite thing!!! page

AntonioCal is offline Junior Member

Head Cheese is my new favorite thing!!!

Primal Fuel
    I made my first batch of head cheese last night and it turned out incredible so I thought I'd share it with you all since it was super easy. I made a smaller batch since it was my first time but the ratios worked out perfect. I pretty much just followed the MDA post from a few days ago but I'll tell you anyway cause I'm so excited about it. For the lean meat I used some grass fed stew meat I had in the freezer.

All you need:

2 pigs feet (washed)
    ~1lb stew meat
    2 bay leaves
    lots of black pepper

I put the pigs feet in the pot with the bay leaves and covered with water. Brought it to a boil then reduced to a simmer, covered it and left for class. When I came home I threw in the stew meat and let it go for another few hours. You'll know its done when the stew meat is falling apart. Then I poured it through a strainer to filter out the bones/fat/meat. The broth was incredible by itself, so gelatinous! I set the broth aside and spread the meat/bones on a baking tray and allowed it to cool enough that I could work with it. I left it work so it would still be easy to separate. As I separated it all the bones went back into the pot for a separate round of bone broth (not used in the head cheese). The remainder of the meat/fat, I spread on baking sheet and put in the fridge. After about a half an hour I took it out and chopped it up, adding it to the broth. I like mine extra meaty so I put it all in. Then I dumped in a bunch of black pepper and poured it into a glass baking pan and into the fridge. It set up in about an hour and it is delicious. The consistency is amazing and it was super easy.

Next time I'm going to throw in some curry seasoning and turmeric. Definitely try this!
    22 year old male in Pittsburgh. Primal since 9/12.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    No head?

AntonioCal is offline Junior Member
    I know, but pigs feet are much easier to come by, and unfortunately the only thing that actually sounds worse than "head cheese" is "foot cheese."
    22 year old male in Pittsburgh. Primal since 9/12.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    We don't see either of those. I buy my gelatin by the pound to make jellied dishes. There used to be a Polish deli here where I could get several different kinds of head cheese, wonderful.

Paleobird Guest
    I bought a whole lamb recently , complete with the head so I made "real" head cheese. It is kind of weird to see the eyeballs looking up at you from the crockpot but it turned out delicious.

I did have to augment it with a bit of extra gelatin to get it to be slice-able.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I bought a whole lamb recently , complete with the head so I made "real" head cheese. It is kind of weird to see the eyeballs looking up at you from the crockpot but it turned out delicious.

I did have to augment it with a bit of extra gelatin to get it to be slice-able.
    Did you use the brain, or just the met on the cheeks etc?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Did you use the brain, or just the met on the cheeks etc?
    The whole thing including the brain. It made for a very rich broth.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The whole thing including the brain. It made for a very rich broth.
    I just don't think I could cope with the brain!! Used to be given brain as a child, but now ... I think it is where my line must be drawn!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I just don't think I could cope with the brain!! Used to be given brain as a child, but now ... I think it is where my line must be drawn!
    Oh, brains are yummy. I just wish I could find them from grass fed animals more often.