Thread: Need to rotate food? page

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member

Need to rotate food?

Primal Fuel
    Anyone feel they need to rotate their food to avoid allergies?

I have had to remove staples from my diet recently. Things I suspected that I was mildly allergic to that I was still eating every day. Almonds, eggs, diary, gluten (but not quite so bad). When I eliminated them and tried to include again it showed a full blown allergy with chest/breathing pain then days very sore gut from my ulcer. I am now scared that things like my coconut milk/oil, bacon etc that I have a lot of every day will end up as an allergy. Hard to rotate for me as I am having difficulty with all the things I can't have already.

Anyone know the current thinking on this?
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    It was YEARS ago, but yes, I was put on a rotation diet by my ear/nose/throat doc. I thought it was helpful at the time. It was a 4-day rotation, and I actually had a list of foods for each day. The idea was to group together like classes of foods then avoid them for three days. Unfortunately it WAS a long time go and there may be different thinking now.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Nope. I eat much the same things for months on end. I'm not afraid of anything regarding allergies.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    If I overdo the eggs (more than 2 a day every day), they start to make my throat close up, which I assume is a mild allergy to the whites, so I stick to 2 a day and have one eggless day per week.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I don't have allergies but I generally think it wise to rotate. For me almost any food is susceptible to diminishing satiety / dependency so the novel flavors help me to slow down a bit.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've never needed it. But I can see where people with multiple allergies might benefit.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems to me the best time to do rotation is before you ever have any issues with allergies. Not repeating is what stops you getting allergies in the first place. It will be wayyy harder for me to rotate now because with so many allergies I am now feel really limited. Guess I will have to suck it up and try and see if I can at least remove one food for 3 or 4 days. I am going to be totally screwed if I become allergic to more.

252dlp... were you able to reintroduce previous foods after you starting this? if it was so long ago and it helped, what do you do now?
    Now 95lbs and holding.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    The rotation diet helped me pinpoint which things I was sensitive too and that helped us find my gluten intolerance and get a diagnosis. After discovering the big offenders, I added most other things back. The major offenders I still mostly avoid or eat them infrequently. Oddly, way back then, I was sensitive to most grains. Gluten I don't eat at all, but I will have a little dairy here and there, though I didn't eat any for 6 years. Taking out those big two healed my gut which allowed me to eat a greater variety of foods. So, in my case, the rotation diet was used as a diagnostic tool, not so much as a life-long thing.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    The rotation diet helped me pinpoint which things I was sensitive too and that helped us find my gluten intolerance and get a diagnosis. After discovering the big offenders, I added most other things back. The major offenders I still mostly avoid or eat them infrequently. Oddly, way back then, I was sensitive to most grains. Gluten I don't eat at all, but I will have a little dairy here and there, though I didn't eat any for 6 years. Taking out those big two healed my gut which allowed me to eat a greater variety of foods. So, in my case, the rotation diet was used as a diagnostic tool, not so much as a life-long thing.
    Ahh! ok thanks as well as those big food groups I seem to have a lot of other individual things, so I guess I had better just individually try them out too. Hopefully when my gut heals I will be able to start adding in again a bit. Got some bone broth on the stove LOL.
    Now 95lbs and holding.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by trentagxw View Post
    The idea was to group together like classes of foods then avoid them for three days.
    Well I can't have all dairy, all egg and all gluten, and pretty much all nuts, so that doesn't leave much in the way of food classes left. Allergy test even came up fairly high for beef.....I would die without beef.....
    Now 95lbs and holding.