Thread: What to eat after workout? page

dacec is offline Senior Member

What to eat after workout?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am a little bit confused.

I understand that to burn fat, I should eat high protein/fat and low carb on cardio workout days (walking /swimming).
    And higher carbs in more intense workouts (lifting/body wieght exercises etc).

Today I walked/ran 5 mi at pretty good pace...kicked my ass really. I am used to walking it but working on building up my endurance to run. i probably ran 1/2 of it today. My gut tells me to up my carbs today but not really sure. It was a hard work out and I am sure my muscles could use the extra carbs but I also don't want to derail my fat loss.

Advice?
    Last edited by dacec; 04-16-2013 at 02:05 PM.

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    after i do my push ups, pull ups and just strength and resistance exercises, i have a whey protein shake. i think the brand is bodyfortress. i have the chocolate kind which tastes very good, i believe 26g of protein, 8g of carbs. i mix it with any kind of milk, really but i prefer almond milk. i usually grab a bit of fruit after i drink my protein shake. it's a quick and easy source of protein with low carb so i like it

Thanks breetbree....however I am specifically wondering if I need to up my carbs with a hard work out, even if it is not weight training?

I did have a protein shake made with whole milk after my work out. Then a few hours later I had lunch, large salad with kale, spinach and chard, 1/2 Avo, 4-5 oz ground beef and grated cheddar. Then I had an orange for desert since I was still hungry and it was calling name :-)

If any one can advise me for the next run/walk I would appreciate it.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I always exercise fasted and never eat until much later. But then, I'm trying to lose weight. Do what feels right and see how it works out for you. Keep records so you can compare results.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I suggest something high in protein and low in carbs. Most people give their workout too much credit and think they need to fill up on carbs. Rehydrate, that's the most important thing.

Ok, good advice (aside from the peanuts and sandwich :-/ )

I agree with the tendency to try to refuel too much, sometimes I think people (general CW) load up with so much crap before, during and after a workout...no wonder people don't lose weight!

I will listen to my body and keep track of what I am eating and how my body responds. Thanks for the feedback!

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breetbree View Post
    after i do my push ups, pull ups and just strength and resistance exercises, i have a whey protein shake. i think the brand is bodyfortress. i have the chocolate kind which tastes very good, i believe 26g of protein, 8g of carbs. i mix it with any kind of milk, really but i prefer almond milk. i usually grab a bit of fruit after i drink my protein shake. it's a quick and easy source of protein with low carb so i like it
    Exactly what I do. I use 2 scoops of Primal Fuel (vanilla), which is 20g of protein, mixed with 7 oz 1% milk, 3 oz 2% chocolate milk (both organic from Organic Valley), 2 oz of pure filtered water and 1-2 tablespoons of organic plain low fat yogurt. Wowee...it's addictive. With the milk and yogurt I estimate around 30g of total protein. I also eat a banana with it.

After runs, though, I can't tolerate that much milk/bulk, so I have a G2 drink for hydration and after showering have a breakfast of low fat yogurt, fruit and granola. Very satisfying, but doesn't make me gain weight.