Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything wrong with using a whole can of coconut milk? page

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member

Question Anything wrong with using a whole can of coconut milk?

Primal Fuel
    I've only been primal for a little over two months. Things are going great. I've occasionally been making smoothies using the following:

1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
    1 cup berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry)
    1 scoop whey protein powder

I really like the taste and texture. But I can't seem to let go of the CW of how much saturated fat is in a whole can of coconut milk (about 70g). I'm not trying to lose weight and the recipe above doesn't seem to have any ill effects on me.

In your opinion, is there anything wrong with this recipe?

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    *shrugs* It all depends on where you are and what your goal is. If I ate like that, I might not gain but I wouldn't lose much either. I don't care about how much fat is in something, but I do have to watch the amounts. That's a lot of coconut milk. However, I noticed you said you made this occassionally. I see nothing wrong with it if it's not a daily staple.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    nope

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Forget the CW saturated fat nonsense. It's not even the same kind of fat that is in animals. There are all different kinds of saturated fat. The kind in coconuts is similar to the kind in mother's milk.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I've been using a upwards of a cup of coconut milk per day for the past three years or so. In the past year, it's been close to a can every day. There's science out there showing that the saturated fat in coconut is metabolized uniquely when compared to others.

I wouldn't stress it.

peppermint is offline Member
    At my old job I'd take a walk next door to Kroger on my break and buy a can of coconut milk and a sweet potato. I'd have a can opener in my pocket and I'd pop the sweet potato in the microwave for a few minutes. I'd just pick it up and eat it like an apple and drink the milk from the can as I worked. I was feeling pretty great at the time, but was not trying to gain or lose.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    one can, that's my morning tonic with coffee, no probs.

sacredgrooves is offline Junior Member
    I make a similar smoothie 4-5 times a week. I mix in some ice and coconut cream (watered down milk basically) to stretch it out a bit and share with my wife. No ill effects.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    That must be filling.
    It would guess that you are having about 800 or so calories in the smoothie. I think 800 calories for a meal is probably reasonable for a lot of people. I don't think I'd want one every day at the expense of more diverse foods, but occasionally it is probably fine. If you find yourself wanting to cut calories though, you might reconsider it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    I've only been primal for a little over two months. Things are going great. I've occasionally been making smoothies using the following:

1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
    1 cup berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry)
    1 scoop whey protein powder
    On barbell lifting days when I eat 4000 calories I've done a full can of coconut milk (800 calories) plus 6 raw eggs for protein and maybe a few berries for flavor. Similar to your creation. Wouldn't be concerned about the saturated fat, but it seems like a lot of calories for a female.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast