Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Gave Up... page

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member

What I Gave Up...

Feeling Fat: Health: Self.com

Mainstream 'health' source aside, reading this article really struck a chord with me. My friends and family don't give a rat about the number on my scale and I don't care what theirs says...so it's high time I stopped defining myself by what mine says and making myself insane trying to get it lower. I will eat healthy, real foods, move my body, spend time outside (once spring actually happens, grr!), sleep well, stress less, play and spend time with those who mean the most to me and add value to my life. The rest will come in time.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    What a great article. Thanks for sharing!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    That story was touching but sad.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    That article really resonated with me! I still hate buying clothes because I always think "well if I buy that and lose weight it won't fit anymore so it will be a waste of money!" and as a result I own few clothes (and nothing special). Half the time I'm going out I don't bother to make a REAL effort to look good because "I'm fat anyway so I won't look good no matter what I do".

Definitely food for thought!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    That was so sad, and the cycle is what so many women go thru. Diet to diet to diet, getting malnourished, not understanding why the weight won't go.

But let's face it- I miss out on a lot these days, but so many people in my life are social with alcohol not optional.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Been there done that..still do it some.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    That you for sharing that!

Wow. I could have written that article! The writer's life sounds so much like mine that it is uncanny. We even weigh the same amounts! I have had every thought she mentions go through my head as well. The wedding things particularly resonates because when I found out my sister was getting married the first though was "shoot, how much time do I have to lose 30 pounds." Of course, I never lost those 30 pounds. I still can't look at her wedding pictures because I'm so disappointed in myself for not losing weight.

It is hard to imagine that others don't see what is so obvious to me (the extra 40 pounds). Even at my thinnest I wasn't thin, heck, I was still technically overweight. My weight is definitely all-consuming and something I think about for at least 8 hours a day. Crazy...

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Struck a chord with me too...been that way for many years.

Big turning point was when I started concentrating on being healthy and fit, rather than being thin. Instead of searching for the elusive 'skinny' portrayed in the media, I've realised that as well as being completely unrealistic for my broad frame, it is also unhealthy. Thee days I'm after 'athletic' - something I've never been and never imagined I could be, but is becoming ever closer. I still weigh myself but manage to be quite dispassionate about it and realise that it is fat that I'm losing these days, not just weight. In fact it kinda frustrates me that so many people - even quite knowledgeable people around here - still insist on celebrating or commiserating due to the number on the scale.

It's really hard shedding all those years of brainwashing...the same brainwashing that also makes us feel that we're unworthy. The sad thing is that so many of us don't realise that being thin won't solve that.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Great article. It is so very sad to think how common this is, too. This cycle of thinking becomes so deeply embedded in our minds so early in life, that it takes major work in order for there to be any hope of escaping what is basically a toxic mental prison. It's probably no surprise that losing the weight does NOTHING to free us. That realization is a major disappointment which overshadows the enjoyment of (and sense of accomplishment from) having met our "goals".

I am determined to do anything and everything I can to prevent my 13 year old daughter from ever starting down this dead end road. It's ridiculously difficult to do as we are constantly bombarded with messages attempting to convince us to hop on and take a "quick" walk in order to be "acceptable by society's standards". Heck, just look at all of the tabs above the article. "Lose 10 pounds! Breakfasts under 350 cals! Bikini body workout!" They're everywhere. Unfortunately, she's gotten messages from me in the past, too - by observing my struggles and hearing my comments about myself. No mas!!

Thanks for sharing this, lemontwisst.
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 04-17-2013 at 09:52 AM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    It's really hard shedding all those years of brainwashing...the same brainwashing that also makes us feel that we're unworthy. The sad thing is that so many of us don't realise that being thin won't solve that.
    Exactly!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast