Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could my stevia sweetened tea be hampering my weight loss efforts? page

jodeyh is offline Member

Could my stevia sweetened tea be hampering my weight loss efforts?

Primal Fuel
    I make a gallon of tea using 2 decaf green tea bags and 3 superfruit (lipton) green tea bags (the superfruit varies, but it's usually either mangosteen/peach or acai/dragonfruit flavor). I sweeten it with 1.5 - 1.75 teaspoons of liquid stevia.

I probably drink about 1/3 - 1/2 gallon of this per day.

I'm curious if the stevia (or anything in the tea) could be hampering weight loss. I can't see that it is...it's probably something else I'm eating, but I thought I'd throw the question out there.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I don't use it. I have heard (a few) people say that giving it up started their weight loss back up again. Why not try for a day or two?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Preliminary evidence might suggest that stevia IMPROVES insulin sensitivity which should help weightloss efforts if anything:

https://www.thieme-connect.com/ejour.../s-2005-870528

The only caveat I give is, stevia still has a rather sweet taste to it (duh, it's why people use it) so if you're truly trying to kick your sweet tooth then stevia may not actually be helpful to that cause. I see it as perfectly healthy though.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    I use about the same amount every day and it's the only thing that's able to keep me from cheating when I'm craving processed foods. If drinking the tea is helping you to eat less throughout the day, then have at it.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    I use about the same amount every day and it's the only thing that's able to keep me from cheating when I'm craving processed foods. If drinking the tea is helping you to eat less throughout the day, then have at it.
    I can almost guarantee it's not the Stevia.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    How bad is your weight problem, if not major, then don't stress on it, focus on nutrition.
    Stevia seems to be fine, but it's not my thing, I've never been into substitutes even before going primal.
    My sween tooth has gradually been getting more sensitive and I need less and less sugar.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    If it doesn't have any calories, it isn't hampering your weight loss.

Some stevia is packed in actual sugar. If it's liquid extract, it's probably calorie free.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jodeyh is offline Member
    I've lost about 50 pounds over the past year eating a primal diet (and I love it). I have about 75 pounds more that I'd like to get rid of.

I think I'm just frustrated. I have not been able to exercise in almost 3 weeks due to injury, and before that I couldn't exercise for 3 months, also due to injury. But if exercise is supposed to be only 20% of the fat loss, clearly I'm going wrong somewhere in my eating. So I'm looking at all the things I eat to figure out what it is.

I wonder if I'm eating too much bacon. My carbs are 50-75/day, but I don't really limit fat. I eat until I'm full, then stop. I've been trying to eat more veggies to vary my diet, but I can't imagine the veggies are causing this either. Maybe I need to eat less fat or protein.

Frustrated and confused. I need to go read the Primal Blueprint again.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I suggest you start tracking your calories.

jodeyh is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I suggest you start tracking your calories.
    Which confuses me even more. I thought one of the ideas of listening to ones body is that calorie counting, and the idea of calories in/calories out, became obsolete. How does counting calories fit into Primal living? I know there's something in the book about counting calories if you want to, and some loose guidelines...is that where the calorie number comes from?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast