Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could my stevia sweetened tea be hampering my weight loss efforts? page 2

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Overeating can cause weight stall or gain. Being primal does not make you immune to that. Track for a few days without changing what you eat to see where you are.

jodeyh is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Overeating can cause weight stall or gain. Being primal does not make you immune to that. Track for a few days without changing what you eat to see where you are.
    No, I know. I've been on so many "diets" that calorie counting makes me wary. But I do understand what you are saying. I will track it all and see where I land. Thanks!

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    fwiw I lost 75lb while consuming a grotesque amount of every artificial sweetener (much less so now).

My generic stall advice is to rank your foods for "essentialness". For me that means coconut, eggs, seafood, tubers, dark greens, and other VitC/potassium plants on top--and things like yogurt, rice, nuts, and cured meat further down. When I gain weight I ease up on the bottom of the list for a while, using the theory that appetite is governed by overall nutrient status.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I have been using stevia daily for 10 years now... Hasn't affected me at all... ONLY made my every so often sweet tooth very happy. lol

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodeyh View Post
    Which confuses me even more. I thought one of the ideas of listening to ones body is that calorie counting, and the idea of calories in/calories out, became obsolete. How does counting calories fit into Primal living? I know there's something in the book about counting calories if you want to, and some loose guidelines...is that where the calorie number comes from?
    It only works if your satiety cues aren't broken. Some people have trouble with this and overeat, whereas some undereat. It works only in an ideal person.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    It only works if your satiety cues aren't broken. Some people have trouble with this and overeat, whereas some undereat. It works only in an ideal person.
    You also have to factor in that natural satiety IS to overeat. It's in nature's best interest for you to have significant body fat stores. You shouldn't be obese - it would hamper movement; your ability to hunt for food and run from predators and other danger. However, if you think it's natural to have six pack abs, you'd be sadly mistaken. That would be a death sentence during famine. Nature has spent hundreds of thousands of years killing off the naturally lean and preserving those that store fat efficiently. We just decided in the past few decades that we want visible abdominal muscles.

If you want to be very lean, you'd likely have to chronically undereat. You can imagine that may not be the healthiest thing in the world, right? So which is more important? Aesthetics or health? They're often mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-17-2013 at 05:44 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodeyh View Post
    Which confuses me even more. I thought one of the ideas of listening to ones body is that calorie counting, and the idea of calories in/calories out, became obsolete. How does counting calories fit into Primal living? I know there's something in the book about counting calories if you want to, and some loose guidelines...is that where the calorie number comes from?
    Well, in the "primal" days, people for the most part COULDN'T over-eat regularly. They could over-eat during seasons of plenty and probably vastly under-eat during times of famine.

Now you basically have an endless amount of food you can eat every day. Even if your body isn't broken, it can be easy to over-eat when presented with endless amounts of bacon and eggs. (Though, harder to over-eat for most than sweets and carbs.) Remember, it's likely your body WANTS to put on body fat.

You don't have to count calories. Either add 3 miles of walking or skip 2 meals a week. Literally just skip a dinner or lunch a couple times a week and it can make a great difference.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    The only way to truly answer the question is with a brief n=1. I guess the consensus is that you should never do that n=1. Ever.

jodeyh is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The only way to truly answer the question is with a brief n=1. I guess the consensus is that you should never do that n=1. Ever.
    Can you explain what you mean? Are you talking about self experimentation?

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I wouldn't say you need to track calories if you still have 75 pounds to lose. How long have you been stalled? Are you ever hungry? What's your typical day look like? Are you walking a lot?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast