Thread: Glycogen debt yikes page

Classic is offline Senior Member

Glycogen debt yikes

Alright, I went on a 43 mile bike ride today and thought all I needed was some coconut oil mixed with butter and a couple of those coconut oil, nut, coffee, date balls that I made from a recipe on this site. I figured the rest stops would have bananas etc. (It was an organized ride).
    Welllll, After the second long hill (I live in the NW) and getting to the last rest stop about 2pm.
    THEY RAN OUT OF FOOD. So no bananas. All that was left were bagels and I refuse to eat those. I thought I would be fine with the snacks I had brought but evidently there was not enough carbs for the level of activity I was performing.
    Half way up the next set of hills I lost it. I felt just awful. My entire body was shaking, I felt like I was going to puke and I just had to get off the bike and sit down. I felt like I had been hit by a wall. That has never happened to me before. The muscles in my body would not work any longer. Fortunately I realized I had thrown an orange in my bike bag just before we took off so that got me to a safer place and a spot I could find a banana. (some wonderful Canadian woman on a motorcycle heard me ask for a banana at a restaurant in the next tiny town we came to and offered me one out of her motorcycle panniers.
    Wow, I learn something new all the time. Always before, I just ate the cookies etc. that were laid out for us on those rides. From now on I am bringing my own bananas.

mjoshuahill is offline Member
    My guess is that the pace of your riding is faster than what your body can maintain without dipping into its glycogen reserves. Since riding slower doesn't seem to be an option and they have non-primal foods for you at times, I would definitely recommend some pack in fruit along with your coconut balls (need to try this btw, how did it taste?)
    It is sad that the measuring stick of our progress is the speed by which we distance ourselves from the natural world. Even sadder is that we will only see this when there is no nature left to save.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Those coconut balls are a good source of energy and taste great. I like the coffee taste they have. They just are not quick energy.

Coghlan is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I found that it's very interested for me.. there are many topics available here so I like this so much.....
    I hope that you will read care fully and tell me more benefits about this .........