Thread: First blood work since being vegetarian page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

First blood work since being vegetarian

Primal Fuel
    Don't have it yet, but last week I got my bloods done, and I just got a call from my doctor's surgery. They want to see me. My last blood work was two years ago, and I didn't even get a phone call.

I got cholesterol, thyroid (just TSH), and Ferritin checked. I'm anticipating that my cholesterol has gone up from the already "high" figure it was when I was veggie (6.2 / 239.75. LDL- 3 / 116, HDL:3.2 / 123), and that my doc wants to give me a lecture about cutting down on fat and animal products (he's vegetarian).

However, I suspect I have thyroid issues. If my LDL has gone up it may be a marker of that.

We've got free health care here, and my doc thinks understanding medicine is only for the chosen ones. Asking him to give me a full thyroid panel will be like drawing blood (from a stone).

Any suggestions on what can I say to convince him? Should I talk about the LDL-thyroid link? Should I play dumb (I'm good at that )?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    If you want thyroid looked at beyond TSH then go prepared with a list of symptoms that may be thyroid related. However, do not put weight gain high on the list. Start with your most troubling symptom. Try to explain how these symptoms negatively impact your life on a daily basis.

As a last resort, if your doctor isn't keen on further thyroid testing, a good question to ask is, What could be causing my symptoms and what can be done to address/alleviate them? Another question is, Where is the harm in checking actual thyroid hormone levels to rule out a problem TSH doesn't indicate?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Be professional, have all your records prepared, list of issues and goals, tests you want and why.
    If any doctor is not receptive to an engaged patient that is looking beyond medication to achieve good health, then they aren't worthy of that title, in some ways a veg dr may be less receptive as they have an additional dogma driving their behaviour.

Be persistant, do not take no for an answer, but always remain polite and civil, if you have to engage in the cholesterol discussion, don't get too detailed, but make it clear you are aware that the story is much more complex and you are happy to provide relevant information, but you don't have it with you, if done carefully the doc will back off, because they all know by now it's not as simple as good & bad, try not to push them into a corner, but use suggestion more to allow them to choose a better direction rather than have an all out argument.

Worst case scenario, get another doc.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I got cholesterol, thyroid (just TSH), and Ferritin checked. I'm anticipating that my cholesterol has gone up from the already "high" figure it was when I was veggie (6.2 / 239.75. LDL- 3 / 116, HDL:3.2 / 123), and that my doc wants to give me a lecture about cutting down on fat and animal products (he's vegetarian).
    He may have a point if your ratios are bad. Work out your ratios in advance (or take a calculater with you) so you can show him your TotC/HDL, Trig/HDL and LDL/HDL. Now that you have a before and after test, you can see trends and discuss 'going up', 'going down' etc intelligently.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    However, I suspect I have thyroid issues. If my LDL has gone up it may be a marker of that.
    Yep. As marcadav says, help steer him there with thyroid related symptoms.

It may well be that he's unaware that your thyroid drives uptake of LDL receptors, and given what you said about his attitude, if he's not open to the tests I think you need to
    a: find your own supplements
    b: suck it up
    c: find another doctor
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the replies guys! I can't change doc unfortunately cos' here in the UK you're assigned one based on your area code...

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    He may have a point if your ratios are bad. Work out your ratios in advance (or take a calculater with you) so you can show him your TotC/HDL, Trig/HDL and LDL/HDL. Now that you have a before and after test, you can see trends and discuss 'going up', 'going down' etc intelligently.
    I can only imagine the look on his face if I produce a calculator to work out my "ratios"..! Brilliant idea

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    if you have to engage in the cholesterol discussion, don't get too detailed, but make it clear you are aware that the story is much more complex and you are happy to provide relevant information, but you don't have it with you, if done carefully the doc will back off, because they all know by now it's not as simple as good & bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    If you want thyroid looked at beyond TSH then go prepared with a list of symptoms that may be thyroid related. However, do not put weight gain high on the list. Start with your most troubling symptom. Try to explain how these symptoms negatively impact your life on a daily basis.

As a last resort, if your doctor isn't keen on further thyroid testing, a good question to ask is, What could be causing my symptoms and what can be done to address/alleviate them? Another question is, Where is the harm in checking actual thyroid hormone levels to rule out a problem TSH doesn't indicate?
    Excellent advice - thank you!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat