Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Microwaving that bad? page

elfman5150 is offline Member

Is Microwaving that bad?

Primal Fuel
    I often cook a bunch of food ahead of time so that I'll be able to enjoy it through the week without having to worry about cooking up something new after work each day. I'm just wondering about the reheating process using a microwave - is it that detrimental to the nutritional quality of the food? Are there any studies which show this?
    Also, I know how beneficial ghee is, but whenever I need to use it in cooking and the recipe calls for melted ghee, would it be silly to use the microwave to accomplish the melting?
    Thanks for any tips.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    No, it's not.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    If I were equipping a kitchen from scratch I might go with a convection oven instead to preserve texture, but I haven't found any credible hazards of microwaving.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Agree with above, with the caveat that you shouldn't microwave things in plastic containers. Use glass or pyrex or whatever.

Don't microwave steak. Makes it tough. No health hazard though unless the device is leaky. I use it to melt butter and to gently steam many veggies, as well as for re-heating. You can also knock a lot of baking time off of potatoes and sweet potatoes: par-cook them 5-10 minutes then finish in the oven. The micro cooks the inside of the taters, the oven the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Agree with above, with the caveat that you shouldn't microwave things in plastic containers. Use glass or pyrex or whatever.
    Yeah, this too.

tiva is offline Junior Member
    There's no evidence at all that microwaving food does any damage. Just follow the other posters' advice and don't use plastic containers. And I always like to underheat proteins a bit because otherwise they get all rubbery, which tastes nasty.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Using a nuke won't kill all the nutrition in your food, although it might kill some texture, depending on what you put in there and for how long. I agree with the others on not nuking plastic.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Dude, I dunno where the other posters get their info, but I've read of a LOT of hazards to microwaving, including it altering the chemical structure of compounds in fruits and vegetables making them carcinogenic. It's not that inconvenient to heat things on the stove top, in a toaster oven, or in a rice cooker. I don't have a microwave and I don't miss it at all.

Here's an article from a fairly reputable source for you to consider-- I haven't read it but I have a feeling people would discredit the articles I have read because of where they were published because no one wants to admit that radiating food is probably dangerous. It's just like people who don't want to admit fast food is dangerous because it's so convenient. Convenience will be the death of us all, I swear...

The Proven Dangers of Microwaves

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't sound like something to do all the time, so I try to avoid it. I prefer reheating things in a pan or toaster oven whenever possible.

A pretty popular anti-microwave thing I've seen is some experiment done by a little girl where she watered a plant with filtered water and the other with water that had been microwaved, the microwave watered plant didn't grow while the other did. For some, that means fuck-all, for others it signifies that microwaving kills nutrients and minerals in plain water, and may do the same with other foods.

n=1 I've had food reheated in a microwave for at least half my life (i'm 28, but in the country I used to live we didn't get a microwave until my teens) and I can't say I would have been decidedly healthier had my food never been microwaved. I feel I'm about as healthy as indigenous cultures that have never been exposed to one from what I can tell. So, who knows?

Honestly, I'm more concerned with having my smartphone too close to my dick.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast