Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Microwaving that bad? page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Honestly, I'm more concerned with having my smartphone too close to my dick.
    This!

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't sound like something to do all the time, so I try to avoid it. I prefer reheating things in a pan or toaster oven whenever possible.

A pretty popular anti-microwave thing I've seen is some experiment done by a little girl where she watered a plant with filtered water and the other with water that had been microwaved, the microwave watered plant didn't grow while the other did. For some, that means fuck-all, for others it signifies that microwaving kills nutrients and minerals in plain water, and may do the same with other foods.

n=1 I've had food reheated in a microwave for at least half my life (i'm 28, but in the country I used to live we didn't get a microwave until my teens) and I can't say I would have been decidedly healthier had my food never been microwaved. I feel I'm about as healthy as indigenous cultures that have never been exposed to one from what I can tell. So, who knows?

Who knew Anthony Weiner posted here?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member

Probably safer close to your dick than close to your balls, but not sure how you'd pull that off.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Dude, I dunno where the other posters get their info, but I've read of a LOT of hazards to microwaving, including it altering the chemical structure of compounds in fruits and vegetables making them carcinogenic. It's not that inconvenient to heat things on the stove top, in a toaster oven, or in a rice cooker. I don't have a microwave and I don't miss it at all.

Here's an article from a fairly reputable source for you to consider-- I haven't read it but I have a feeling people would discredit the articles I have read because of where they were published because no one wants to admit that radiating food is probably dangerous. It's just like people who don't want to admit fast food is dangerous because it's so convenient. Convenience will be the death of us all, I swear...

The Proven Dangers of Microwaves
    Not quite sure I would call Mercola reputable, I do use him for leads and sometimes follow up yields good info, but more often than not just sensationalism.
    If the article was seriously credible, there would be a raft of references and links at the bottom.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, microwaves get a lot of bad press because of what we usually reheat in them. I don't often use ours because I just prefer to bake or roast, but when I can't be bothered to boil sweet potatoes/other root veg I just microwave them.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I never use it, I think it tastes like crap so I always use slow cooking / re-heating.

i have mine out of my pocket as much as possible. at work, it sits on my desk. at home, its on my coffee table. in the car, i put it on the center console. gotta keep that thing away from the goods

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    I've read an article (a while ago) about a study with young kids who had warm milk from the stove or from the microwave and the microwave kids had significantly less muscle tonus.

I think it does something to the food. I own one, use it everyday but also try to use the stovetop as well when I have a few extra minutes.

sqidmark is offline Member
    ...A pretty popular anti-microwave thing I've seen is some experiment done by a little girl where she watered a plant with filtered water and the other with water that had been microwaved, the microwave watered plant didn't grow while the other did. For some, that means fuck-all, for others it signifies that microwaving kills nutrients and minerals in plain water, and may do the same with other foods....
    I've read various references to this experiment but have never seen the source. I wonder if the non microwaved water was also heated (boiled?) to the same temperature as the microwaved water and for the same amount of time. If not, apples vs oranges. As photographer Fred Picker used to say, "different is not the same, only the same is the same".

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I moved into a new home in 2006 and did not bring a microwave with and don't miss it a it. I steam, heat in oven or stove top anything I need reheated. It takes a bit longer but I've got nothing but time.
    I don't have one because of heath concerns but because I wanted to simplify life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast