Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making your own mayo - what's the secret? page

Pheebie is offline Senior Member

Making your own mayo - what's the secret?

Shop Now
    I've watched countless cooking shows, You Tube tutorials, and read several articles on how to make your own mayo, but have yet to have success.

I'd like to get away from buying the store-bought stuff yet I get SO frustrated with fail after fail after fail. What's the key?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    You could try this method if you have an immersion blender (sub a better oil of course):
    Two-Minute Mayonnaise | Serious Eats : Recipes

If you're making it by hand with a whisk, here's what I do: Mix the egg yolk with a splash of lemon juice/vinegar and a splash of water. Add a drop of oil and whisk. Add one more drop and whisk. Keep adding a drop at a time until you have a good solid emulsion going. This might take a few minutes. You can gradually start to add the oil faster once the emulsion has formed.

And if your emulsion breaks, you can always start a new one in a clean bowl and once it has set nicely, you can add the broken emulsion to it as you would add oil.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to give this a try. I think years ago someone gave us an immersion blender that we've never used - I hope we didn't give it away.
    In the past I tried using my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the whisk attachment, poured the oil in very, very, slowly and steadily, yada yada, all that stuff they stress on the Food Network shows when they're making mayo, but to no avail. I got tired of trying, and wasting eggs and oil. Maybe this recipe and method will finally work for me.

Rhonda the Red is offline Junior Member
    Big old +1 to the immersion blender!! I have made it with a food processor before this, but the immersion blender trick I learned from watching Chef John's youtube video has revolutionized mayo for me!

The trick is to layer all your ingredients into your blender container: room temperature egg (egg yolk), vinegar/lemon juice, salt, dry mustard, and all the oil you'll need total on top. I use Melissa Joulwan's recipe from Well Fed (one of the best cookbooks ever).

Let it sit for a minute to allow the egg to settle fully at the bottom. Then put the immersion blender all the way to the bottom and do not move it for the first several pulses. Give the mix low one-second pulses, easy does it, until you see the mayo begin to form at the bottom. Then just keep doing those pulses. Soon you'll be able to move the blender head off the bottom and start to work your way up the mixture as you incorporate the rest of the oil.

I was blown away by how fast -- one minute, no lie! -- and how easy it was to do this. I'd tried with the immersion blender before but had been trying to do the drizzle the oil trick and it was a nightmare. I had oil all over the kitchen. Now I blend the mayo right in its storage container. Very little cleanup!

Do not use lots of coconut oil in it though. In the fridge, the coconut oil sets up much firmer than you probably want and when it warms even a little, it tends to separate. I have had my best luck with straight olive oil. I'm going after some more fun oils next, but they better be liquid at room temparature!

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda the Red View Post
    Big old +1 to the immersion blender!!
    +2. I think mine was $20 at Target. Once I bought it I discovered how nice it is for dressings, dips, soups, coffee, and cocoa.

For mayo I only use avocado oil. Olive is a little too sharp IMO.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    I use my Vitamix and have never had any issue...whether my egg is room temp or not, if I pour the oil in quicker than a scant dribble at a time, nothing. I throw the egg, 1/4c of oil, salt, mustard powder and 2T of acid (vinegar or lemon juice, some of both, whatever) in the blender and blend that for about 30 seconds before starting to drizzle the remaining cup of oil in. I don't pour it in particularly slowly (takes maybe 90 seconds at most), and I usually end up just dumping the last 1/4c in and cranking the blender to incorporate it because the mayo has set up by that point.
    I've tried an immersion blender before but it didn't work out, likely because I wasn't patient about it

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Sad that you are having trouble with it, but know that you can make salad dressings with the failed experiments, just add spices and turn the blender on add enough vinegar to taste. and there you have it, no need to waste it. You could probably also use it to make a variety of sauces with.

I have to admit, I have not had any trouble. I use a whole egg, and have used my food processor, immersion blender, cheap oster blender, and my vita mix. Personally I think the blender is easiest, then food processor, then immersion.

Good luck,

faithy22 is offline Member
    It also has something to do with weather. Mayo won't form an emulsion if it's raining or about to rain (must have something to do with the barometric pressure). I wonder if the high humidity in NO is affecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by faithy22 View Post
    It also has something to do with weather. Mayo won't form an emulsion if it's raining or about to rain (must have something to do with the barometric pressure). I wonder if the high humidity in NO is affecting it.
    Well, if I need to wait for the humidity to back off, I picked the wrong time of year to re-try this experiment. I may just have to wait until those two days a year when it's not oppressively muggy here.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by faithy22 View Post
    I've never had an issue with weather. I always use my regular blender.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast