Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making your own mayo - what's the secret? page 2

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Never had an issue with weather. Never had success with any kind of electric gizmo - I think they might work better if you make a larger quantity. Hand balloon whisk, egg yolk, vinegar, mustard in a bowl, add as tiny a dribble of oil as possible, whisk till fully emulsified. Repeat and increase amount of oil slightly after a while.

Very easy once you get the hang of it. Slow and hard on the arms the first time you do it.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I use an immersion blender too and it has never failed me. I briefly blend the egg, mustard, cider vinegar, salt (and usually garlic) then slowly drizzle the oil. Once the mixture starts to thicken then you can be a bit more gung ho with adding the oil. I usually finish off by blending in a load of fresh coriander. Yum!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Room temperature on all ingredients. Let eggs sit out for a couple of hours.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

rusty1257 is offline Junior Member
    Room temperature is important. I think it's also important when using an immersion blender to also use a container that just barely has room for the blender (narrow sides).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The usual reason for failure is pouring in the oil too fast. Dribble it in. Patience, grasshopper.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    Ditto what others say about room temp. I screwed up every batch I made until I learned to bring the egg and lemon to room temp, but haven't failed since. I use a good regular blender (not immersion, not Vitamix, but not a cheapie, either.)

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Immersion blender here -- no drizzling for me. Egg, a splash of vinegar, squirt of lemon, cup of extra light olive oil, all in the jar it will live in. Blender to the bottom, pull up as the mayo thickens, then add some salt and whoosh again quickly. I've never had a fail, start to finish under 2 minutes, including rinsing the blender.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Make sure everything is room temp

1 egg
    1/2 cup egg white or 2 more eggs
    tbs lemon juice
    optional mustard powder, or 1 tbs dij, horse or yellow mustard
    1 to 2 tsp of Worcester sauce
    Salt and Pepper
    optional 1 packet of stevita
    optional 1 clove minced garlic

1/4 to 1/2 cup coconut oil melted but not hot

start regular 5 dollar walmart belnder on lowest setting and cover the pour spout with the lid so the hole barely exists

Pour oil down pour spout very...repeat very slowly, should take 2 min for all oil.

It will thicken, transfer to a jar and put in fridge.

Bingo bango you made mayo

After mayo is set(min 1 hr in fridge) add 1 cup of mayo and 1 cup of cocomilk with any spice combo you can think of and you have made salad dressing.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    Which oils do you all use? I like part olive oil but prefer it to be mixed with something more neutral. This is the main thing I am struggling with since primal with all the obvious neutral oils out of the picture.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    "Light" olive oil has much less flavor than the cold-pressed good stuff we all probably buy for salads and such. I use Bertoli Extra Light for mayo. It's probably not as good for you as the fancier stuff, but it's better than canola oil and makes for a more "traditional" tasting mayo. (If you can call Hellmans' traditional.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast