Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dandruff, dryness and saborea page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Dandruff, dryness and saborea

Primal Fuel
    Hey,

I'm 18 years old, and I've been having dandruff and dryness (and acne) for a very long while.
    While the Acne got a lot better (it's barely noticeable), the dryness in my face, and the extreme case of dandruff (a ton of small white flakes, and quite a few yellow huge flakes) got quite worse. It seems to come and go really, but lately it's more coming than going.

I believe I went to a doctor once about it, and he gave me some extremely chemical shampoo (I didn't like it, so I didn't really use it all that much). So I wanted to know what paleo says about that case, what can I do? it's extremely troubling.

Thanks in advance.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I am no expert on dandruff, but I am getting amazing results from going shampoo-less ("no-poo") and washing my hair with baking soda and rinsing with apple cider vinegar. There are a number of threads on here about it. Before the no-poo, I had three different dandruff shampoos (with three different active ingredients) in the shower that I would switch between, if that tells you anything.

Also, I think that the different fatty acid profile of someone eating overwhelmingly Primal has a lot to do with this - my skin in general is much, much happier since I dropped the factory seed oils.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    If the shampoo had a selenium base, you likely have something fungal on your scalp. Using tea tree oil, Selsen Blue or supplementing with selenium can help with that. You could get it actually tested by a dermatologist, however.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I skip the baking soda and just rinse with cider vinegar when I feel I need it, though I think the selenium has a pretty big impact. I just had a craving for brazil nuts the other day, and have been having to use the cider vinegar more often lately. Usually it's only once every two weeks or so, but I had been up to as much as twice a week.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I tend to shed a lot of skin. For me it helps to massage my scalp to loosen and carry that away when I am washing my hair. Otherwise it would just build up and be gunky.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    When I don't get enough sleep, and/or am overly stressed for a few days, my skin gets much dryer than usual. Exercise seems to help reduce my stress, thereby helping my skin in the long run.

Not to mention the range of trigger foods I have for skin problems.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    My scalp got much, much worse when I went primal. I finally figured out that I had a nut intolerance and that it really triggered my scalp to flare up. Now, as long as I avoid nuts I have no problems.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Kristine is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    When I don't get enough sleep, and/or am overly stressed for a few days, my skin gets much dryer than usual. Exercise seems to help reduce my stress, thereby helping my skin in the long run.

Not to mention the range of trigger foods I have for skin problems.
    Surprisingly stress can cause dandruff. I think it has to do with hormones and how you cope with stress that would result in excessive food intake that causes dandruff too. There are a lot of commercial products on the market that you can choose from but natural and home remedies seems to be more effective in getting rid of dandruff is it not?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I had to use the shampoo when it got bad enough that chunks of hair were falling out. I actually really liked the shampoo. It made my hair feel really clean and smooth. I think it's probably worthwhile to just use the shampoo until the seborrhea goes away and then go back to normal shampoo. You don't have to use the special stuff for the rest of your life.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had dandruff get better and worse over time, but the best things I've found for me:
    1. I don't use shampoo. It takes about 3-4 weeks to switch, but I have really short hair. My wife won't do it, because her hair is so much longer that it won't adjust.
    2. I rinse with cider vinegar when I feel I need to. Sometimes this is every couple of days, sometimes this is once a month. The vinegar kills off the fungus that causes dandruff. I find I go longer between when I...
    3. Eat a couple of brazil nuts every day. They are expensive, and not the best thing for you overall, but 1-3 nuts per day will have lots of selenium, which really helps you fight off the fungus.
    4. I rinse my hair thoroughly in the shower every time, and use a head scrubber- it looks like a little round plastic hairbrush.

There's a lot about acne that we could get into, such as a clean diet, plenty of water, etc. Honestly, the best thing I ever found for my face was using a vegetable/seed oil to wash my face. It sounds counter intuitive to add oil to an oily face, but water and oil don't mix. Using a clean oil (there's different recommendations online, as well as methods for opening your pores and such) and massaging into your face will help break up what your body is trying to push out, and it will dissolve into the clean oil that you then wash off.

Once your face clears up a bit, I find that shaving regularly helps keep my skin clear. I break out quickly when I eat crappy foods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast