Thread: Greetings from the UK - Muscle or Fat ? page

rcooke22 is offline Junior Member

Greetings from the UK - Muscle or Fat ?

Shop Now
    Hi

I started a primal path about 12 months ago after picking Mark's book up whilst on holiday in California. I lost 53lbs in just 6 months and dropped from 36/38 inch waist to a 30 inch waist. I have maintained a steady weight of 162-165lbs since. I did this with very little exercise. This brings me to a quick opening question.

Over Easter I went away with my partner for a long planned indulgence. I knew the 'diet' would go out of the window and I would suffer the effects on my return but this short trip was very much once in a lifetime. As a pledge to myself I promised on my return that I would 1. Return to my primal eating. 2. I would start a workout/exercise programme.

4 weeks on and I appear to be gaining weight. On return from my trip I had as predicted added 2/3lbs. This worried me very little as I returned to primal eating. I also, as promised, have been doing 20/30 minute intense weight/body workouts with Kettleball / hand weights etc at home 4/5 times per week. Yet today I weigh 171lbs the heaviest I have been for 5 months. Now I don't feel fatter or bloated, indeed my stomach seems quite flat. My clothes still fit fine. So my questions is how likely is this going to be muscle gain in just 4 weeks? When I look in the mirror I think my arms look a little bigger/toned but always concerned you see a little bit of what you want to see. I'm not all about the scales but it does seem odd to have gained 5/8lbs suddenly after 6 months steady weight.

Anyone had similar experience? Is exercise really making that much difference to muscle mass this quickly?

Would appreciate any thoughts

Robert

Owen is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hi Robert,

Just speculating here but if you've increased your resistance training then after 4 weeks you would expect weight gain from muscle. Muscles have two ways of becoming heavier - through getting bigger or through becoming denser (tone).