Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 8

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Funny how you drank the kool-aid about crossfit (and failed), and are now doing the same with Rippetoe*. I hope some day you start sparring with a good judoka or a good BJJer, or get destroyed by a 120lbs chick in a climbing gym, and realize that ''strong'' is a very relative term.
    Yeah, totally. The only difference is that Rippetoe's methods produce results.

What you mention is due to technique. Barbells won't make you learn Kung Fu.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    If I need help picking up a heavy object off the floor, I'm going to try to get an actual real-life strong man used to lifting atlas stones. If I need help picking up a heavy barbell I'll call a dedicated lifter.

These are both unlikely scenarios anyway, but it just goes to show that again, someone that has practiced a movement is better suited to do a similar movement than someone who is strong.

Yet another thing, who is stronger, a 150lb guy that can deadlift 300lbs or a 150lb that can deadlift 200lbs using fatgrips? If the 300lb lifter can't?
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There you go, apples and oranges. If you want to claim an elderly person who is able to pick up stuff they drop on the floor and reach a high shelf is a failure because he or she is not a young guy doing heavy squats, go ahead.

Since I am not a young guy who does a max that Coach Rip would respect, no doubt you and he would both think I am a failure in life. But I have more important things to concern myself with, like the rest of my life.
    Have you actually been around much older people? Their limitation is largely strength. When you have difficulty standing up from a chair, or getting out of bed, stretching your hamstrings won't make it better.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    If I need help picking up a heavy object off the floor, I'm going to try to get an actual real-life strong man used to lifting atlas stones. If I need help picking up a heavy barbell I'll call a dedicated lifter.

These are both unlikely scenarios anyway, but it just goes to show that again, someone that has practiced a movement is better suited to do a similar movement than someone who is strong.
    Odd that all the Strongman competitors train with heavy barbells. Oh wait, no it's not.

Yet another thing, who is stronger, a 150lb guy that can deadlift 300lbs or a 150lb that can deadlift 200lbs using fatgrips? If the 300lb lifter can't?
    Are you postulating a 150 lb dude with gigantic hands that can deadlift 200 lbs with Fat Gripz but somehow can't deadlift 300 lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Odd that all the Strongman competitors train with heavy barbells. Oh wait, no it's not.

Are you postulating a 150 lb dude with gigantic hands that can deadlift 200 lbs with Fat Gripz but somehow can't deadlift 300 lbs?
    Haha, strongman competitors are training with the objects they're required to move around in competitions. They are NOT pissing around with barbells and sacrificing recovery time when their time is better spent moving atlas stones, doing farmer walks for time, etc. Come on dude. They may hit the bars from time to time, but it's not their primary training tools.

No, I'm postulating a 300lb deadlifter that has a weaker grip and therefore can't DL 200 with fatgripz. We don't know if the 200lb deadlifter can DL 300. Work with what I gave you. If your grip limits you on a lift, aren't you then weaker than the person that can put it up?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Who is stronger; a guy that can pull himself up to the ceiling in a rope by a friend that clings to his feet or a big barrel chested guy with short t-rex arms bench pressing 500 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Who is stronger; a guy that can pull himself up to the ceiling in a rope by a friend that clings to his feet or a big barrel chested guy with short t-rex arms bench pressing 500 pounds?
    According to the internet, the 500 pound bencher has a bigger dick. That we know for sure.

Haha, strongman competitors are training with the objects they're required to move around in competitions. They are NOT pissing around with barbells and sacrificing recovery time when their time is better spent moving atlas stones, doing farmer walks for time, etc. Come on dude. They may hit the bars from time to time, but it's not their primary training tools.
    I call shenanigans. Here's a few articles I googled on training for Strongman. See if you can spot the common thread:

Bodybuilding.com - Preparing For Strongman Competitions - My Workout!
    A Standard Template for the Strongman Competitor
    Strongman Training for Beginners | 70's Big
    Your First Strongman Competition, Tips, Tricks and Things You Should Know | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

No, I'm postulating a 300lb deadlifter that has a weaker grip and therefore can't DL 200 with fatgripz. We don't know if the 200lb deadlifter can DL 300. Work with what I gave you. If your grip limits you on a lift, aren't you then weaker than the person that can put it up?
    I want to meet the guy who can DL 200 with Fat Gripz but can't DL 300. Or a unicorn. Until I see one of either, I claim they both don't exist. I'll bring the Fat Gripz.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Hard to say based on 2 unrelated data points, but let's just assume that both these people are strong (although the bench press is arguably the least indicative of general strenght out of the 4 main lifts).

How did person A manage to get so strong? Was he raised by Chimpanzees and he grew up brachiating through the trees? Or did he challenge his CNS via progressive overload?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I want to meet the guy who can DL 200 with Fat Gripz but can't DL 300. Or a unicorn. Until I see one of either, I claim they both don't exist. I'll bring the Fat Gripz.
    Why are you avoiding the question? Don't change the hypothetical. Just say that a guy that can't DL 200 with fat gripz is weaker than the guy that can. Just say it. I need this victory. I need to win. Give me the win. Do it. 1, 2, 3, say it.

I didn't read the articles, but I'm going to say fine, they must train with bar-bells but it would be suicide to step onto the competition itself without having properly practiced the movements, which are in and of themselves, very taxing "lifts."

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast