Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 7

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    I hope some day you start sparring with a good judoka or a good BJJer, or get destroyed by a 120lbs chick in a climbing gym, and realize that ''strong'' is a very relative term.
    I'm a brown belt in BJJ. Guess which recent addition to my game has had a huge impact on who I can hang with and tap out? Getting stronger. With a barbell. Training the squat, deadlift, bench press, press, along with accessory work like chin-ups and dips.

Crazy, right?

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm a brown belt in BJJ. Guess which recent addition to my game has had a huge impact on who I can hang with and tap out? Getting stronger. With a barbell. Training the squat, deadlift, bench press, press, along with accessory work like chin-ups and dips.

Crazy, right?
    Wow, for real? Do you know what helped improve my game? Bodyweight exercises with gymnastics rings and Ido Portal style stuff on the ground. Could it be that both lifting with barbells and bodyweight exercises are both great tools to get stronger? My mind is blown.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Sbhikes: Your deadlift went down from 125 to 100. What were you deadlifting when you started training with the barbell?
    That was my squat. I started with 45 lbs at the recommendation of a trainer, not because that was all I could do. 125 was my 5 rep max before my layoff. I did manage to do 100 x 8.

All the squats, deadlifts and bench presses I do have not really gotten the number of pushups to increase. I would need to specifically work on pushups. I also still can't do a pullup. I would consider myself strong if I could do a pullup. I can see myself deadlifting 200lbs and still no pullups. I do believe barbells make you strong but there are different kinds of strength.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Wow, for real? Do you know what helped improve my game? Bodyweight exercises with gymnastics rings and Ido Portal style stuff on the ground. Could it be that both lifting with barbells and bodyweight exercises are both great tools to get stronger? My mind is blown.
    THIS.

Also, this is a point I always try to emphasize. HAVING FUN. I have more fun doing pseudo-gymnastic work than I would doing more barbell movements. I recognize the squat and deadlift as great movements to increase strength so I do them often. I don't care to bench, I don't care to overhead press. I'd rather keep working planche progressions and handstand/handstand push up progressions. I realize that overhead pressing would be helpful to achieve a HSPU, but it's like using the lat pull down machine instead of doing chin up negatives (for someone that can't do a chin up yet).

I'm an Ido Portal guy, some are Rippetoe guys, to each their own. I'm just tired of this purist stance and this obsession with absolute strength. I honestly don't give a fuck if you can squat 500lbs, good for you, what ELSE can you do? How are you employing this wonderful machine that is your body? why are you limiting it to just lifting? experiment with more movement. USE the strength you've gained to manipulate your body around in space.

If the following video doesn't resonate with you, then we are simply different people and that's just fine. Later!

Ido Portal on Paleo Diet, CrossFit, Gymnastics, Motivation, Movement & More - RawBrahs - YouTube

Edit: Ido can squat 2x and I think deadlift 2.5x as well. He just doesn't have videos of that because there are already several thousands videos of that and nobody cares.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 04-17-2013 at 06:52 AM.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Awesome. How are you going to keep getting stronger? I'm just going to keep adding weight to the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I realize that overhead pressing would be helpful to achieve a HSPU, but it's like using the lat pull down machine instead of doing chin up negatives (for someone that can't do a chin up yet).
    Okay, my turn to tell you: You're better than that, bro.

You do see the fundamental difference between pressing a barbell from a standing position and using a lat pulldown machine, right?

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I only say this because you keep mentioning mundane tasks such as picking something up and putting it on a shelf.
    As far as mundane tasks like picking something up and putting it on the shelf are concerned, and especially growing old and remaining functional, the person who has done stretching throughout his or her life is the one who is going to be able to pick something up off the floor and put it on a shelf, whether or not they have done strength exercises. Those who have lost their range of motion are the ones who will climb on a chair to reach a shelf they used to be able to reach with ease, then fall and break bones.

Everything is apples and oranges.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Okay, my turn to tell you: You're better than that, bro.

You do see the fundamental difference between pressing a barbell from a standing position and using a lat pulldown machine, right?
    Sure, my point was that it's more beneficial to train the movement itself (HSPU negatives, when the goal is a HSPU) than it is to generally get the muscles stronger. I'm not saying overhead presses would be detrimental, they would certainly help, but taking into account muscle recovery, CNS stress, etc, I think time is better spent taxing the muscle while also practicing the movement you want to achieve. Would you agree?
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    As far as mundane tasks like picking something up and putting it on the shelf are concerned, and especially growing old and remaining functional, the person who has done stretching throughout his or her life is the one who is going to be able to pick something up off the floor and put it on a shelf
    Not the guy who does barbell squats to depth with heavy weight? I beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Those who have lost their range of motion are the ones who will climb on a chair to reach a shelf they used to be able to reach with ease, then fall and break bones.

Everything is apples and oranges.
    How can you lose your range of motion while performing the barbell lifts advocated by Coach Rip?

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Not the guy who does barbell squats to depth with heavy weight? I beg to differ.

How can you lose your range of motion while performing the barbell lifts advocated by Coach Rip?
    There you go, apples and oranges. If you want to claim an elderly person who is able to pick up stuff they drop on the floor and reach a high shelf is a failure because he or she is not a young guy doing heavy squats, go ahead.

Since I am not a young guy who does a max that Coach Rip would respect, no doubt you and he would both think I am a failure in life. But I have more important things to concern myself with, like the rest of my life.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast