Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 6

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    What deadlifting progression do you suggest to achieve a maltese on gymnastics rings?
    A more proper comparison would be whether progression with barbells would be better preparation for training to do a maltese on rings than progression with bodyweight exercises. In other words, who is better prepared for learning advanced gymnastics: someone who can crank out a ton of push-ups, bodyweight squats, sit-ups, planks, etc, or someone who can press their bodyweight overhead and deadlift twice their bodyweight? Who has the better shoulder, back, core and leg strength base to work their way up to holding their body parallel to the ground on rings?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    The vast majority of people who want strength, want functional strength, i.e. they want it to apply to real life. So, if one type of training makes a person better at displaying strength in real life, that type of training is thus superior.
    Basically you get better to do what you are training for, and it's a lot of skill elements also involved in strength movements! But of course you will get a potential for a carry over effect when you grow relevant musclefibres by doing barbell training. So if you want to be the best car pusher do progressive overload on pushing cars, stone lifting? Do and progress by lifting bigger and bigger stones etc...

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    A more proper comparison would be whether progression with barbells would be better preparation for training to do a maltese on rings than progression with bodyweight exercises. In other words, who is better prepared for learning advanced gymnastics: someone who can crank out a ton of push-ups, bodyweight squats, sit-ups, planks, etc, or someone who can press their bodyweight overhead and deadlift twice their bodyweight? Who has the better shoulder, back, core and leg strength base to work their way up to holding their body parallel to the ground on rings?
    That's not a proper comparison. Your view of bodyweight exercises is too narrow. A push-up is the equivalent of deadlifting an empty bar. A full planche push-up could be considered equivalent to a 500+ deadlift (or maybe 600+). I maintain my point that if you increase the difficulty of your bodyweight workouts by increasing the technical difficulty of the moves, you can get CRAZY strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Basically you get better to do what you are training for, and it's a lot of skill elements also involved in strength movements! But of course you will get a potential for a carry over effect when you grow relevant musclefibres by doing barbell training. So if you want to be the best car pusher do progressive overload on pushing cars, stone lifting? Do and progress by lifting bigger and bigger stones etc...
    I want to be strong for everything life can throw at me. What's the best way to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    That's not a proper comparison. Your view of bodyweight exercises is too narrow. A push-up is the equivalent of deadlifting an empty bar. A full planche push-up could be considered equivalent to a 500+ deadlift (or maybe 600+). I maintain my point that if you increase the difficulty of your bodyweight workouts by increasing the technical difficulty of the moves, you can get CRAZY strong.
    Ok, describe a long-term training routine of bodyweight exercises that leads to continuous strength gains, especially with similar strength gains such as from a 500lb+ deadlift.

I want to be strong for everything life can throw at me. What's the best way to do that?
    Find a form of training that is very versatile and optimal for growing all types of muscle fibres, and forget about only using 6-7 barbell movments as recommended by your hero Rippetoe, because that will not make you very prepared or versatile for everything that life may throw at you...

Find a form of training that is very versatile and optimal for growing all types of muscle fibres, and forget about only using 6-7 barbell movments as recommended by your hero Rippetoe, because that will not make you very prepared or versatile for everything that life may throw at you...
    Strange, because I used to do a ton of different exercises years back, followed by some CrossFit, which is the definition of varied workouts, and yet after doing just 5 exercises and following Rippetoe's advice I'm stronger than I've ever been. This strength is not just in my deadlift numbers, but in things that used to be hard in real life which became trivial. So, no, I won't waste any more time on routines based on a failure to understand how strength is developed, such as what you're suggesting. You can go ahead though.

Strange, because I used to do a ton of different exercises years back, followed by some CrossFit, which is the definition of varied workouts, and yet after doing just 5 exercises and following Rippetoe's advice I'm stronger than I've ever been. This strength is not just in my deadlift numbers, but in things that used to be hard in real life which became trivial. So, no, I won't waste any more time on routines based on a failure to understand how strength is developed, such as what you're suggesting. You can go ahead though.
    If you have grown relevant muscle fibres by doing what you are doing, then you get a potential for a carry over effect to other movements that involves the same muscles, yes...

If you have grown relevant muscle fibres by doing what you are doing, then you get a potential for a carry over effect to other movements that involves the same muscles, yes...
    Yeah, and since doing compound barbell lifts trains all the major muscle mass on the body, the strength gained has direct carryover to life.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Ok, describe a long-term training routine of bodyweight exercises that leads to continuous strength gains, especially with similar strength gains such as from a 500lb+ deadlift.
    Wow, you're both dishonest and short-sighted. No need to argue here. Funny how you drank the kool-aid about crossfit (and failed), and are now doing the same with Rippetoe*. I hope some day you start sparring with a good judoka or a good BJJer, or get destroyed by a 120lbs chick in a climbing gym, and realize that ''strong'' is a very relative term.

*Not ripping on that guy, I love his work. He just suffers from the ''when all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail'' syndrome from time to time. He's very good at hitting nails, but might need a different perspective for other things.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast