Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Bodyweight exercises are a GREAT way to get strong
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What progression of bodyweight exercises should I use to achieve a 500 lb deadlift?
    Strawman, and a silly way to start a discussion! Winterbike uses the term "strong" in a general unspecified sense, and you use "strong" related to a specific strength goal, i.e. deadlift! He did not say anything about deadlifts. There are no universal agreements in exercise physiology on what "strong" or "strength" means, it always boils down to how you test it. A bodyweight guy may be “stronger” in one arm chin-up that the deadlift guy or stronger in pistol squats than a barbell squat guy. Strength is specific related to a certain movement, but we may also use it in a more general and unspecified meaning, and when confusing those meanings a silly discussion has already started. Hmmm, I wonder if this may have been discussed here before? Have those stubborn gentlemen RichMahogany and quikky learned something? Obviously not...

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    You could get all kinds of bags in precisely 5-10lb increments, starting at, say 135lb, and up to and beyond your current max. That, and also overcoming the inherent inefficiency of grabbing progressively larger bags and eventually stones. Or, you could use a tool specifically designed for the efficient progression of strength, which I think is called the barbell.

You don't strength train, do you?
    My good man, you asked how one could "lift heavy things off the ground" without using barbells, did you not? I gave you an example, another would be to pick up progressively heavier people. Start with yer baby, move on to yer sis, then ya momma, and ultimately, your grandpappy!

You have elementary level reading comprehension, don't you?
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    My good man, you asked how one could "lift heavy things off the ground" without using barbells, did you not? I gave you an example, another would be to pick up progressively heavier people. Start with yer baby, move on to yer sis, then ya momma, and ultimately, your grandpappy!

You have elementary level reading comprehension, don't you?
    Way to miss the point and nitpick a technicality. I think your signature is quite true.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Strawman, and a silly way to start a discussion! Winterbike uses the term "strong" in a general unspecified sense, and you use "strong" related to a specific strength goal, i.e. deadlift! He did not say anything about deadlifts. There are no universal agreements in exercise physiology on what "strong" or "strength" means, it always boils down to how you test it. A bodyweight guy may be “stronger” in one arm chin-up that the deadlift guy or stronger in pistol squats than a barbell squat guy. Strength is specific related to a certain movement, but we may also use it in a more general and unspecified meaning, and when confusing those meanings a silly discussion has already started. Hmmm, I wonder if this may have been discussed here before? Have those stubborn gentlemen RichMahogany and quikky learned something? Obviously not...
    There's pretty universal agreement that deadlifting 500lb makes you strong.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Way to miss the point and nitpick a technicality. I think your signature is quite true.
    nein mein keyboard warrior!

You asked by which OTHER METHOD as in OTHER THAN A BARBELL could one "lift heavy things off the ground" so why in gods name would I say "uhhhh I DUNNO D00D, I GUESS YOU'RE RIGHT LULZ BARBELLS RUL" ?? I gave you two examples.

Just admit you lost and then we can all move on.

Also, seriously go play in some rings man, they're dope, and you may learn a thing or two about what you're made of. There's more to strength training than barbells, play around and have fun. Stop taking everything so seriously.

Tonight I have snatch grip deadlifts FROM A DEFICIT, MOTHERFUCKER!! plus some ring work and handstand work to play with. I can hardly contain the excitement. I'M GOING TO INSTAGRAM THE WHOLE FUCKING THING. STITCHPIC OR DIE.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    nein mein keyboard warrior!

You asked by which OTHER METHOD as in OTHER THAN A BARBELL could one "lift heavy things off the ground" so why in gods name would I say "uhhhh I DUNNO D00D, I GUESS YOU'RE RIGHT LULZ BARBELLS RUL" ?? I gave you two examples.

Just admit you lost and then we can all move on.

Also, seriously go play in some rings man, they're dope, and you may learn a thing or two about what you're made of. There's more to strength training than barbells, play around and have fun. Stop taking everything so seriously.

Tonight I have snatch grip deadlifts FROM A DEFICIT, MOTHERFUCKER!! plus some ring work and handstand work to play with. I can hardly contain the excitement. I'M GOING TO INSTAGRAM THE WHOLE FUCKING THING. STITCHPIC OR DIE.
    'Roid rage, or general temper problems? Although it would be odd to argue against barbells yet do steroids. I guess the latter...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    There's pretty universal agreement that deadlifting 500lb makes you strong.
    Are you sure? Perhaps some strong people can deadlift 500lbs. Can a person be strong but never bother to deadlift 500lbs? Hmmmm....

Hey I love deadlift. It's like my favorite day of the month! Dogma though.... not a fan.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    he certainly has his macho, my way or the highway style, and it tends to the hyperbolic. but overall, i agree with his message regarding the basic compound lifts and their paramount importance. i just recognize that there are other ways to shape your body, and if strength isn't necessarily your goal (i.e. bodybuilding), you'd do well to hit many of these assistance exercises. it's not like we're going purely off of hypotheticals here, great aesthetic physiques have been built using many of the maligned exercises in this article.

but then i read gems like this, and realize how much i love rip, "i think it's important to be able to fall down when you do a barbell exercise so that you have to make sure you don't."

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Are you sure?
    Yes, I'm sure.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    One of my goals is to do chinups and pullups. If I considered them an "accessory exercise" that was only to be done after the main lifts, I would never achieve that in this life.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast