Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 21

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    See, Gorbag? This is why barbells are king. Have you ever given birth to a Conan via your penis from working with sandbags or the leg press?
    What, are we going to compare dick's also now??? Well, here is how I use to work mine, and no barbell involved mind you!

Hmmm, maybe you should take a break and deload from your squatting quikky:

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    ^lol.... dude loading and unloading all those 45s got a shit ton better workout there!

I think I saw the squat dude L5 disc splatter onto the back wall...

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Rip's new article on T- Nation:

Rippetoe Throws Down

This is an absolute must read for many. I see the mistakes Rip talks about being made here all the time, like "why am I not getting stronger on CrossFit anymore?", and "bodyweight exercises are the way to get strong".
    A good article thanks for sharing, I don't agree on all his points for the most part he's bang on !

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    A good article thanks for sharing, I don't agree on all his points for the most part he's bang on !
    Damn dude, this was for you to read, not resurrect!

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Damn dude, this was for you to read, not resurrect!
    Yeah I posted it on the wrong thread, tried to delete it but my delete-fu must be weak !

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Yeah I posted it on the wrong thread, tried to delete it but my delete-fu must be weak !
    Let's pray Gorbag doesn't notice it and it disappears from the first page...

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Rip should come to NE Asia and slap these people.

I see so many weird moves in the gym here, few people do the basic barbell moves, most consider them "oldfashioned". Years go by in the gym and they don't add a single kilogram of muscle.

...I've got the power rack all to myself!

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I have read Rippetoe before, and usually found myself disagreeing with him....primarily because I think that the 1RM is overly worshipped, and that strength without endurance is pointless and non-functional. I have played enough sports to see a lot of "weight-room beast, on the field least", or big monstrous guys that look like they would be good players, only to see them wear down into little girls almost immediately.

But that article was a little different. Strength has a place, a REALLY big place in any athlete. I think he puts it a little more in its rightful spot here.

Because I have also seen plenty more of the opposite....guys that are supposed to be "naturals", are quick and can run all day, but are like hitting a spaghetti noodle. I like the reverse being said for me, a comment made by a guy on another team after a game that made all my training pay off in one sentence: "Dude. Hitting you was like trying to tackle a fire-hydrant."

Strength matters, a lot....it's just that it's 75%, not 95%
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I have read Rippetoe before, and usually found myself disagreeing with him....primarily because I think that the 1RM is overly worshipped, and that strength without endurance is pointless and non-functional. I have played enough sports to see a lot of "weight-room beast, on the field least", or big monstrous guys that look like they would be good players, only to see them wear down into little girls almost immediately.

But that article was a little different. Strength has a place, a REALLY big place in any athlete. I think he puts it a little more in its rightful spot here.

Because I have also seen plenty more of the opposite....guys that are supposed to be "naturals", are quick and can run all day, but are like hitting a spaghetti noodle. I like the reverse being said for me, a comment made by a guy on another team after a game that made all my training pay off in one sentence: "Dude. Hitting you was like trying to tackle a fire-hydrant."

Strength matters, a lot....it's just that it's 75%, not 95%
    I think if you read him enough, you realize that he's up-playing the need for strength to remedy the fact that it's so often downplayed to the peril of the individuals looking to improve their performance. He's actually all for strength endurance training, but just thinks it needs to take a backseat to strength training in the detrained/weak athlete. Because your strength endurance ain't worth much if your absolute strength is insufficient (need the underlying strength to make the endurance worthwhile), and you can train to make your strength durable (is that the right word?) in a handful of weeks while strength takes years to develop.
    The Champagne of Beards

Prime-Animal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great read! The arguing not so much lol. But I am starting a strength program. And when I did stronglifts from mid september to mid october... I got STRONG. In every sense, and Most importantly I felt functional. That being said, its not the end all be all, but damn does it feel nice to be SOLID

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021