Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 20

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Nitpicking? Look at your post you asked questions about just that! So we can finally agree upon that barbells are not indispensable for strength training and progressive overload then?
    You didn't really answer all my questions, like how do you bench press sandbags, or what size is a 400lb sandbag, or how would you hold a 300lb (and 400lb, and 500lb) sandbag on your back? The keywords with barbells are "most effective". You proved my point precisely, because filling bags with sand, measuring 5lb of sand, adding to the bag, closing the bags, using some chain contraption to place bag on back, somehow holding the bag on the back while squatting, somehow being able to consistently add 5lb to it from 135lb to 500lb+ is a completely ineffective and unsustainable system of progression long-term.

You can lift them from the dead position, like a deadlift, or you can keep them on a bench in front of you, grab them and let them swing behind your body with less energy lost than unracking the bar when squatting. And you don't need to use exactly the same weight as in a squat either. My point is only that you can progress on other stuff than just barbells, and probably better for general muscle development or "for whatever life can throws at you" than barbells only. Use a variety of dumbbells, barbells and maschines or even sandbags! Hell, when I trained in japan for judo we did behind the neck pushpress with living persons! If thats not training for life what then is it?
    Can you post a video of yourself swinging 150lb dumbbells on your back? I am also fundamentally puzzled how deadlifting the squat weight, "swinging" it on my back, and holding it there with my hands will cost me less energy than doing a 1/10 of a squat and 2 steps to unrack the barbell from the rack. Also, have you considered wrist and elbow health from holding said dumbbells behind your back, especially with your wrists bent backwards? Also, what about greater than 150lb dumbbells? 300lb squat is nothing amazing, so presumably someone who is serious enough about their training will want 200lb dumbbells and higher at some point, do you know of many places where you can find such heavy dumbbells? If you do find them, do you know how wide they are? How will this affect your hand position? I mean this is beyond silly.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    He meant held at arm's length, behind the back, as in a hack squat. But it's easier said than done, and dumbbells of that and larger size are rare beasts.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Who is still nitpicking in irrelevant minutae here? Seriously I have other things to do than explain all details about training to you quikky, so when we finally have agreed upon that there are many other ways than just barbells to develop and progress in strength, then I am pretty much done here! And say hello to Rippetoe from me that his barbell fundamentalism does not impress me at all...

Who is still nitpicking in irrelevant minutae here? Seriously I have other things to do than explain all details about training to you quikky, so when we finally have agreed upon that there are many other ways than just barbells to develop and progress in strength, then I am pretty much done here! And say hello to Rippetoe from me that his barbell fundamentalism does not impress me at all...
    We have indeed agreed that there are many ways to improve strength. We've also agreed that barbells are the most effective, and most sustainable long term.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    He meant held at arm's length, behind the back, as in a hack squat. But it's easier said than done, and dumbbells of that and larger size are rare beasts.
    That makes a bit more sense. Ok, fair enough. We still have not heard about how you can progress with them long-term. Of course now he doesn't have time to explain

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Bench press became popular when chesticles did. The standing press more accurately fits the criteria quikky and I are defending. And it was the measure of upper body strength until the magazines told men care about pecs.
    LMAO @ chesticle. Love it.

By the way I actually was very proud of my chesticles until I ruptured a pec tendon. Was up to maxing 2x my bodyweight. Sux that I now despise what use to be my strongest lift.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-19-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    We have indeed agreed that there are many ways to improve strength. We've also agreed that barbells are the most effective, and most sustainable long term.
    Maybe you have agreed with yourself about the latter then? Just for the record and as a curiosity, what are we going to call the equipment below, is it a barbell or what is it really:

Maybe you have agreed with yourself about the latter then? Just for the record and as a curiosity, what are we going to call the equipment below, is it a barbell or what is it really:
    Barbell's weird cousin?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I broke a PR in the deadlift today and on the final rep I gave birth to a Schwarzenegger-as-Conan clone through my massive penis.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    I broke a PR in the deadlift today and on the final rep I gave birth to a Schwarzenegger-as-Conan clone through my massive penis.
    See, Gorbag? This is why barbells are king. Have you ever given birth to a Conan via your penis from working with sandbags or the leg press?

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast