Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Bodyweight exercises are a GREAT way to get strong
    What progression of bodyweight exercises should I use to achieve a 500 lb deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by federalkeil
    That 5-rep range will get you strong, and supplementing your strength training with sport-specific days is ultimately what will get you your best returns for your sport. If you try to modify your strength training to simulate field conditions it's ultimately a losing proposition and you end up with something sub-optimal. Conditioning is another matter all-together.
    +1.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    The usual macho bullshit from Mark Rippetoe! He perfectly well knows that "strength" is always specific, but he also knows that a lot of uneducated meatheads and gymrats will love articles that confirm their narrow worldview! So Rippetoes is like the politicians he knows that he can score some cheap points even by being wrong, because he appeals to the prejudices of a certain group of people read; “meatheads”. The article only has relevance if you are a strength athlete that competes in the big lifts, like Olympic weightlifting or powerlifting etc…

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What progression of bodyweight exercises should I use to achieve a 500 lb deadlift?
    C'mon brooooo, you're better than this.

Why can't we all just agree that there are many pathways to gain strength? I combine bodyweight upper body training with barbell lower body work (mostly squats and deadlifts) and I'm very happy with the results. There are some good bodyweight exercises for the lower body but I only use them when I can't get under the bar. Just like I'd only do bench press and military presses if I couldn't use my own bodyweight for some reason.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I am experimenting on myself right now. I have been following Primal Blueprint Fitness (not as religiously as I might) for a few years and over the past several months Convict conditioning, both body weight protocols.

recently I decided to see what all the fuss is about with barbells. I am only 3 weeks in. I have hired a trainer to get me dialed in on form. 8 sessions total that will take me to the end of this month (2x/week). So reasonably fit and strong at the start and I am watching closely how strength progresses, whether I perceive and differences in hormone signalling, whether there seem to be any differences in body composition, and if the barbell training translates back into improvements in bodyweight exercise performance. Time will tell.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    C'mon brooooo, you're better than this.

Why can't we all just agree that there are many pathways to gain strength? I combine bodyweight upper body training with barbell lower body work (mostly squats and deadlifts) and I'm very happy with the results. There are some good bodyweight exercises for the lower body but I only use them when I can't get under the bar. Just like I'd only do bench press and military presses if I couldn't use my own bodyweight for some reason.
    What are the non-barbell ways to progressively train yourself to lift very heavy things off the ground?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    What are the non-barbell ways to progressively train yourself to lift very heavy things off the ground?
    Thats so intentionally dense I'm gonna guess you THINK you have a point.

Its kinda like if I asked.... Which sport is it where the entire goal is to lift very heavy things off the ground? And sat back smugly as if I've just disproved any reason to ever lift a barbell.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-16-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Start with rice bags, then sandbags, graduate to Atlas stones you effin' weirdo.

Also don't forget that there are gymnasts that can do impressive barbell lifts (ESPECIALLY in the deadlift, which is not that technically challenging) without specifically training for those movements - while not every barbell lifter can do some of the full body tension movements that gymnasts can perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Thats so intentionally dense I'm gonna guess you THINK you have a point.

Its kinda like if I asked.... Which sport is it where the entire goal is to lift very heavy things off the ground? And sat back smugly as if I've just disproved any reason to ever lift a barbell.
    The deadlift, i.e. lifting something really heavy off the ground, is one of the best measures of overall strength. If you can't lift heavy stuff off the ground, you're not strong overall.

Do you disagree with this premise? If so, what do you consider a good measure of overall strength?

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Start with rice bags, then sandbags, graduate to Atlas stones you effin' weirdo.
    You could get all kinds of bags in precisely 5-10lb increments, starting at, say 135lb, and up to and beyond your current max. That, and also overcoming the inherent inefficiency of grabbing progressively larger bags and eventually stones. Or, you could use a tool specifically designed for the efficient progression of strength, which I think is called the barbell.

You don't strength train, do you?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast