Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 210

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 16

  1. #151
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,746
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You missed the point of my argument.

    I'm not claiming the guy's clean.

    I'm claiming the guy's strong.
    Yes and where have I said otherwise? You are as usual trying to kick in an already vide open door! Compared to you and quikky he is probably far stronger than you are in any strength test that I can think of, but compared to other persons he may not be that strong, depending on whom and how we are going to test it. Maybe he sucks in front squat or something compared to a Olympic lifter and will be considered as “weak” among them? You are still carrying on with your outdated concept of “absolute strength” LOL…

  2. #152
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yes and where have I said otherwise? You are as usual trying to kick in an already vide open door! Compared to you and quikky he is probably far stronger than you are in any strength test that I can think of, but compared to other persons he may not be that strong, depending on whom and how we are going to test it. Maybe he sucks in front squat or something compared to a Olympic lifter and will be considered as “weak” among them? You are still carrying on with your outdated concept of “absolute strength” LOL…
    So why do you consider Ed Coan strong? Why is he stronger than me? In my circles of gaming nerds, he will be considered weak due to his n00b thumbs.

    Furthermore, why do you think he will be better at all strength related tasks you can think of than me? Strength is specific, which in his case is barbell strength, so why would he be better at all strength tasks than me?
    Last edited by quikky; 04-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.

  3. #153
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yes and where have I said otherwise? You are as usual trying to kick in an already vide open door! Compared to you and quikky he is probably far stronger than you are in any strength test that I can think of, but compared to other persons he may not be that strong, depending on whom and how we are going to test it. Maybe he sucks in front squat or something compared to a Olympic lifter and will be considered as “weak” among them? You are still carrying on with your outdated concept of “absolute strength” LOL…
    You're being absurd. Nobody ever claimed that being strong in general would make you stronger in a particular feat than another athlete who trains for that particular feat.

    Here's a relevant question: Who would you bet your money on in a front-squatting contest, a top powerlifter who doesn't front squat or a top cyclist who doesn't front squat? Throw in a gymnast if you like. I know who my money rides on.

  4. #154
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You're being absurd. Nobody ever claimed that being strong in general would make you stronger in a particular feat than another athlete who trains for that particular feat.

    Here's a relevant question: Who would you bet your money on in a front-squatting contest, a top powerlifter who doesn't front squat or a top cyclist who doesn't front squat? Throw in a gymnast if you like. I know who my money rides on.
    How is it fair to compare a lifter and a cyclist in a lifting competition? if he's a "top" powerlifter, there's no way he isn't doing some form of squat which already puts him above an athlete whose sport requires him to be relatively lean and use their leg muscles for endurance rather than single rep like the powerlifter.

    If the winner would be decided via weight/strength ratio, the gymnast could give a lifter a run for their money but ultimately the lifter should win. Gymnasts are trained for upper body strength, having big legs would be counter productive for their sport (the leverage would be off as the vast majority of events are upper body dominant) However, I'm not versed enough in gymnastics lower body training but I do think they train some weighted movements sometimes so yeah, that would be more interesting than a powerlifter v. a cyclist.

    Assuming same weight, the gymnast might even win! Too bad we don't have top athletes as friends to settle these ridiculous disputes.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 04-18-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

  5. #155
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You're being absurd. Nobody ever claimed that being strong in general would make you stronger in a particular feat than another athlete who trains for that particular feat.

    Here's a relevant question: Who would you bet your money on in a front-squatting contest, a top powerlifter who doesn't front squat or a top cyclist who doesn't front squat? Throw in a gymnast if you like. I know who my money rides on.
    Did you read anything of what I said above? Of course a powerlifter will have the most optimal physiolgical adaptions i.e. more myofibrillar hyperthrophy in his thights and other bodyparts compared to a cyclist with mostly endurance adaptions. It's obvious that the powerlifter will outlift the cyclist in front squat if none of them have done it before, but except from that you are still wrong in your absolutist assumtions....

  6. #156
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,208
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    How is it fair to compare a lifter and a cyclist in a lifting competition? if he's a "top" powerlifter, there's no way he isn't doing some form of squat which already puts him above an athlete whose sport requires him to be relatively lean and use their leg muscles for endurance rather than single rep like the powerlifter.
    Gorbag's claim is that the powerlifters can't front squat as well as the olympic lifters, so aren't by definition, generally strong. Of course it's ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    If the winner would be decided via weight/strength ratio, the gymnast could give a lifter a run for their money
    No. I don't think they could.

    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Gymnasts are trained for upper body strength, having big legs would be counter productive for their sport (the leverage would be off as the vast majority of events are upper body dominant) However, I'm not versed enough in gymnastics lower body training but I do think they train some weighted movements sometimes so yeah, that would be more interesting than a powerlifter v. a cyclist.
    I disagree that having legs that are too strong is counterproductive for a gymnast.

    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Assuming same weight, the gymnast might even win! Too bad we don't have top athletes as friends to settle these ridiculous disputes.
    I really doubt the gymnast has a chance in our hypothetical strength-off. Just like our powerlifter probably has no chance if we propose a handstand-off. The question is which skill is more widely and generally useful, being strong (which, incidentally, requires no hand-walking skill), or walking on your hands (which, incidentally does require a certain level of strength).

  7. #157
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Gorbag's claim is that the powerlifters can't front squat as well as the olympic lifters, so aren't by definition, generally strong. Of course it's ridiculous.

    As long as you were being facetious...


    No. I don't think they could.

    Gymnasts aren't required to squat for competitions, but they do have strong legs and have been documented to put up respectable numbers in squats/deadlifts so the potential for competition is there

    I disagree that having legs that are too strong is counterproductive for a gymnast.

    Notice I said "big," I agree they need strong legs mostly for tumbling and rebounding, but they're not trying to add mass there (upper body is where more mass is desired)

    I really doubt the gymnast has a chance in our hypothetical strength-off. Just like our powerlifter probably has no chance if we propose a handstand-off. The question is which skill is more widely and generally useful, being strong (which, incidentally, requires no hand-walking skill), or walking on your hands (which, incidentally does require a certain level of strength).
    A fairer competition would be jumping onto a platform from a low squat. Theoretically, the stronger you are the higher you can jump, right?

    Anyway, I don't think the powerlifter would crush the gymnast in your hypothetical, but the cards would be stacked in the lifter's favor ultimately.

    I mostly front squat myself actually, and it's finally getting past embarrassing but nowhere near good and way far from respectable. Humbling lift.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

  8. #158
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Gorbag's claim is that the powerlifters can't front squat as well as the olympic lifters, so aren't by definition, generally strong. Of course it's ridiculous.
    My point is that "strength" is relative, and terms like "generally strong" must be related to something! I might be considered as "generally strong" among my family or in my gym, but I am not sure that top class olympic weightlifters may consider me that way...

  9. #159
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,208
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    A fairer competition would be jumping onto a platform from a low squat. Theoretically, the stronger you are the higher you can jump, right?
    No, the vertical jump is often used as the example of a genetic athletic skill that is relatively strength-independent. You can improve your vertical, but not by much, no matter how strong you get.

    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Anyway, I don't think the powerlifter would crush the gymnast in your hypothetical
    You also don't think Strongman competitors train with a barbell

    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    but the cards would be stacked in the lifter's favor ultimately.
    Because he's stronger. That's my point.

    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I mostly front squat myself actually, and it's finally getting past embarrassing but nowhere near good and way far from respectable. Humbling lift.
    The mechanics of the front squat impair the amount of weight that can be lifted. Why would you not want to involve more of the posterior chain and lift more weight? I bet getting stronger by doing back squats will improve your front squats at a higher rate than just front-squatting.

  10. #160
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    My point is that "strength" is relative, and terms like "generally strong" must be related to something! I might be considered as "generally strong" among my family or in my gym, but I am not sure that top class olympic weightlifters may consider me that way...
    Getting stronger with barbells makes you stronger with everything else - I.e. "general strength". It doesn't mean that the person who is the strongest with barbells will be the strongest with everything else, but it does mean they will indeed be strong with everything else. This is exactly why you know Ed Coan is stronger in every strength test than you and I.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •