Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 15

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    There are many ways to simply get stronger. However, there is only one way to become as strong you can be. If you want some strength, tons of methods exist. If you want the most strength you can extract from your genes in the most efficient way possible, there is only one way that we know of, and it had worked exactly as advertised for millions.

That said, I'm confused, Gorbag, you have taught me that strength is always specific and there's not much carryover without specific training. Are you now saying strength is not specific, has very high carryover, and is thus a general adaptation? Because that might mean I'm not stronger than Ed Coan after all, which really sucks.
    What a completely piece of hogwash! Define first “absolute muscular strength” and tell us how we are going to measure it in a way that everybody from Olympic weightlifters, gymnasts, strongmen, powerlifters and scientists etc., agrees! Good luck by that…

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    What a completely piece of hogwash! Define first “absolute muscular strength” and tell us how we are going to measure it in a way that everybody from Olympic weightlifters, gymnasts, strongmen, powerlifters and scientists etc., agrees! Good luck by that…
    I know! No one knows what this mythical "strength" is! We also have no way of measuring it. This is why Ed Coan cannot be called strong. I mean what is strong anyways? And do the scientists and gymnasts think Ed Coan is strong? Doubtful. I also think I might be stronger than him due to my thumb strength.

We're in agreement, Gorbag. I'm learning more and more about strength from you. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I still think you're stronger than Misha Koklyaev, if that's any consolation.
    Koklyaev is just a fat competitive powerlifter, weight lifter, and strongman though. Without a one arm chin or a Gorbag-worthy leg press, I wouldn't even call him an athlete.

I mean look at this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yloR...e_gdata_player

Is that strength? I say no. I bet a cyclist can out leg press him.

Hey Gorbag, thanks again for your wisdom on strength. However, just for fun, what do you think every strongman, gymnast, and scientist would call this:

Ed Coan 1019 - YouTube

My guess is they'll question the definition of strength, describe that feat as a specific barbell strength adaptation, and will ask how many one arm chin-ups he could do. Which of course would be right, because who says standing with 1,019lb on your back and squatting up and down with it is some undeniable proof of incredible strength? Not me certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Hey Gorbag, thanks again for your wisdom on strength. However, just for fun, what do you think every strongman, gymnast, and scientist would call this:

Ed Coan 1019 - YouTube
    Hmmm, let me guess:

Strongman: And how many cars can he pull with his teeth then?
    Gymnast: And can he ever do a iron cross in the rings then?
    Scientist: Let's take a blood sample to see what drugs he is using...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Hmmm, let me guess:

Why does the scientist want to take a blood sample? What's remarkable about Mr. Coan that would cause him to suspect drugs? The lifter's height? Eye color? Posture?

Why does the scientist want to take a blood sample? What's remarkable about Mr. Coan that would cause him to suspect drugs? The lifter's height? Eye color? Posture?
    Maybe this:

"Coan has failed drug testing through the IPF three times. The first time he was temporarily suspended in 1985 for the use of Deca-Durabolin, an anabolic steroid.[5]In 1989, he was once again suspended due to a positive drug test.[6]
    In 1996, at the IPF Men's Open World Championships in Salzburg, Austria, he tested positive once again and was issued a lifetime ban from the IPF.[7] Because this positive drug test occurred in a competition in which he placed first, his name and results have been retroactively removed from the 1996 results."

From Wikipedia:

Ed Coan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmmm, let me guess:

What would they answer to the question: "Is this man strong?"

I don't think Gorbag got it ;-).

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe this:

"Coan has failed drug testing through the IPF three times. The first time he was temporarily suspended in 1985 for the use of Deca-Durabolin, an anabolic steroid.[5]In 1989, he was once again suspended due to a positive drug test.[6]
    In 1996, at the IPF Men's Open World Championships in Salzburg, Austria, he tested positive once again and was issued a lifetime ban from the IPF.[7] Because this positive drug test occurred in a competition in which he placed first, his name and results have been retroactively removed from the 1996 results."

From Wikipedia:

Ed Coan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You missed the point of my argument.

I'm not claiming the guy's clean.

I'm claiming the guy's strong.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast